Nibs - How Many, Which Do You Have Or Love?

jbelian

So, am I the only one fascinated with the broad and stub nibs?

NO! Me, me, I want the stubs!! I have 3 Esterbrooks, two fitted with 2284 "Broad Firm Stub - Signature" nibs (so says the little chart I have printed out). You can see the writing samples of these two nibs in the 'Don't just tell us, show us' thread, I believe I posted there just yesterday Two posts below yours as a mater of fact. The two are different, one more broad and one a little more stubby. I can imagine sending the broader of the two out for a little grinding to make it a true stub.

Given the discussion I have absorbed on this forum, I have thought that I would like to get examples of the 9314 stubs (in medium and broad) but now that I have just heard that these are Left Oblique (according to Pajaro above) I am not so sure. I am a lefty overwriter so Left Oblique is a challenge for me. I had MIke Masuyama grind a couple Pelikan broad nibs for me this past summer to right oblique, cursive italic and (drum roll ....) I think I found the perfect nib grind for my clumsy hand. These two nibs are joyous experiences even for someone such as myself who has ALWAYS had the penmanship of a 3rd grader.

By the way, if you feel compelled to get rid of any of the Esties which you displayed in that other thread, I am more than willing to help out. I'd like to pick up a blue, and a green J.

Edited by DrCodfish

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbelian

• pajaro

• Carl Fisher - F3 Pens

• gweimer1

I haven't gotten around to getting any of my Esties up and running, but I've been nib chasing (sometimes getting them on pens, sometimes just the nib unit). Everything from a 1555 Gregg nib (on the first SJ I found in the wild), to the a 9788 nib on a pen I got from the Bay of Evil; from a 2668 to a 9641. I actually have been lucky in that I mostly have 9xxx series nibs (although not all of them yet), most recently picking up a 9555 at DCSS in August.

Since I don't totally know what I want in a nib, I like having a variety to be able to choose from. I suspect, for instance, that I'm not really going to like the EF nibs all that much (with the possible exception of the 9128 nib) -- but I gave my husband a choice of colors of J pens for his birthday a couple of years ago, and we'll see which he likes best: the 9556, the 9550, the 2556, or even the 9461.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

NO! Me, me, I want the stubs!! I have 3 Esterbrooks, two fitted with 2284 "Broad Firm Stub - Signature" nibs (so says the little chart I have printed out). You can see the writing samples of these two nibs in the 'Don't just tell us, show us' thread, I believe I posted there just yesterday Two posts below yours as a mater of fact. The two are different, one more broad and one a little more stubby. I can imagine sending the broader of the two out for a little grinding to make it a true stub.

By the way, if you feel compelled to get rid of any of the Esties which you displayed in that other thread, I am more than willing to help out. I'd like to pick up a blue, and a green J.

When LahLahLah gets moved, I may ask him about a costom grind. As for that Blue J, I searched for that one for years...I always wanted one just that color...just not exactly at that price. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have a box each of the 313 Probates, 453 Business and College, and 14 Bank, also 6 boxes of 128, a gross mix of 354, 355, 356, 357, 358, and about a dozen loose 357s and 358s.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

When LahLahLah gets moved, I may ask him about a costom grind. As for that Blue J, I searched for that one for years...I always wanted one just that color...just not exactly at that price. :)

You know, I have had nibs modified by many different nib ... modifiers. Lately I had work done on a couple less expesive pens by Mr Danny Fudge and was very satisfied with the results, charges, and turnaround times. In fact he's got four of my pens in for work right now.

LahLahLaw has been amazing with his price --- We've been doing some trade outs --- I just gave him an Onyx Sheaffer Desk set. It is one of those great deals where we each think we are getting the better end of the bargain. He's moving back to Texas before taking the Texas bar, so he may be doing fewer grinds in the future.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

pajaro, I don't even know / remember with enough precision to tell you without working on it a while - quite possibly none. I know I have on more than one occasion put a recently acquired nib into a pen I've been using and it has been utterly different from another nib of the same number. I've had it happen with nibs sold as NOS. But sellers are sometimes mistaken, a nib does wear with every use, and it's possible none of it was caused by production variability. That's what started me on this thread: I don't know ....

If you mean the 1XXX or 2XXX nibs, I think you have a point. I usually avoid them, and I think wear on the 9XXX nibs and other iridium tipped nibs would be so gradual you wouldn't see much difference.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 4 weeks later...

http://i61.tinypic.com/al5el1.jpg

Here's a sample of most of the nibs I've tried.

My favourite is the 2284 due to the particular smoothness in this one and the way it makes me write well.

I also enjoy writing with the 2314-F and 2668 M at work because of their ability to write at many angles without skipping or catching.

My daughter who is a budding young artist prefers the 9128s, the vertically stamped one the best. With that one she's able to change the line width midstream with control and ease and can write with the nib upsidedown. It also flexes better than the other one. She prefers those to the also flex 9048.

I have a few yet to try, two of them also 2314-Ms. I have a feeling each will be different. The one here writes close to bold and another not yet tried just looks to have a much thinner tip.

Well, since we started this discussion, I've gotten a few more nibs, and one on the way (simply a random luck thing). I've also tried a 1554 and 1555 nib, finding both to be pretty smooth, but not quite what the 9xxx nibs deliver.

I have a 3550 that writes really well.

I've got a couple I need to try:

2314-M

And on the way: