Bexley Pen Company

Dennis B

While still a relatively new company, Bexley has produced some outstanding pens in the company's short history.

Writing in Pen World International in the Nov-Dec 1997 issue, Managing Editor Laura Chandler listed Bexley models produced up to that time. While I don't have every model and color, I put together this photo of the early pens I do have in my collection.

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/bexley/1993-1998.jpg

Original, Button Fill (1993); Deluxe, Button Fill (1994); Deluxe, Button Fill (1994); Giant, Squeeze Filler (1994); Cable Twist, Button Fill (1995); Equipoise, C/C Fill (1996); 5th Anniversary LE, C/C Fill (1998); Ebonite Collection, Amber Agate, C/C Fill (1998).

Bexley's first nibs (for the Original and Deluxe pens) were 14K Minka nibs with the Minka imprint polished off. A special large #12 Bexley marked nib was produced for the Giant, followed by 14K Bexley marked nibs which appeared in Cable Twist and Equipoise pens. The 14K nibs were still in use for the 5th Anniversary pens, later being replaced by the now familiar Bexley 18K nib.

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/bexley/evolution.jpg

A small slice of (modern) pen history with a vintage twist.

Dennis B

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolverine1

• Mitchkool

• Dennis B

• Rufus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (acfrery @ Mar 14 2007, 06:41 PM)
That Giant looks great!

I have never seen it before. Is it a rare specimen?

Alejandro

http://www.parkvillepen.com/images/bexley/giantbrochure.jpg

100 of each color made plus 50 of the Gray. That would make them rather scarce.

Dennis B

So how many of my children do you want for the black one from the ebonite collection drool.gif Really, their all grown so I really don't mind, just name your price biggrin.gif

Minka is Chinese. Re removing the name, I suspect Mr. Levy did not want his pens mistaken for the Minkas.

BTW, my limited experience with Minka has been mostly positive. Very smooth and reliable nib, and the one Minka I have is lacquered metal and quite heavy but well balanced.

Bill

QUOTE (PaulLeMay @ Mar 19 2007, 11:49 PM)
Where can I get one of the Ebonite Bexleys?

eBay would be the only source I know of or possible the sale boards at the various sites (here, Pentrace, Stylophiles Online).

Happy Hunting,

Dennis B

Does anyone know if in the future Bexley might make a pen with a triumph type nib?

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

• 4 weeks later...

some vey nice made pens ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

The Bexley FPN pen is an example of a well designed and well made pen. I've also got a couple of Bexley Submariners (including Grande Submariner) that are among my favorites.

• 1 year later...

The Bexley Pen Company was founded in 1993 by Howard Levy, formerly of Westchester County in Ny. He moved to Columbus Oh for business reasons from Smithtown Long Island. Shortly after the move he started up the company on the west side of Columbus were it still is. It origionally was ran out of his home. He is the Husband of Karen and father of three, Joshua, Douglas, and Mitchell.

A big guess here, but is Mitchkool possibly Howard's son?

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

A big guess here, but is Mitchkool possibly Howard's son?

Sharon in Indiana

Seems very possible.

The Bexley Pen Company was founded in 1993 by Howard Levy, formerly of Westchester County in Ny. He moved to Columbus Oh for business reasons from Smithtown Long Island. Shortly after the move he started up the company on the west side of Columbus were it still is. It origionally was ran out of his home. He is the Husband of Karen and father of three, Joshua, Douglas, and Mitchell.

I enjoy Bexley pens immensely. Hope Bexley will be around for many, many years to come.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I have a Bexley Prometheus, and it is a great pen. I hope they reconsider making it again.

As for the Bexley Giant, I have been looking, but havent seen a single one come up for sale.

I too love Bexleys, particularly the models made in White/Ivory and Mandarin Yellow. Here are some of them:

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Pens/Bexley_Whites.jpg

http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/Pens/Bexley_Yellows.jpg

Enjoy looking.

:puddle: