The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Is Wrong With My Noodler's Blacks?

noodlers black inks

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian Mastronardi

Adrian Mastronardi

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 19:08

Hi,

I read many reviews about Noodler's black saying that it is one of the darkness/blackest ink in the market. I don't know if my bottles have a problem, but I'm obtaining a very light black.

I'm attaching a test comparing two bottles of Noodler's, Parker Quink and Montblanc. As you can see Parker is 10 times stronger that Noodler's. The text is written with a Pelikan M200 using the noodler's black bottle 1.

Any idea what could be happening here?

Kind regards,

AM

Attached Images

• IMG_1218.JPG

Edited by amastronardi, 29 September 2014 - 19:12.

Sponsored Content

#2 Adrian Mastronardi

Adrian Mastronardi

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 19:13

Forgot to mention that 1st column is 1 pass, 2nd is 2 passes and 3rd is 3 passes.

#3 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 19:14

Did you invert the bottle a few times before filling your pen?  Some of the highly saturated inks will precipitate dye components and you need to agitate the bottle before filling.  My Noodler's black is darker than the Quink in your picture.

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#4 Adrian Mastronardi

Adrian Mastronardi

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 19:32

Big difference after a good shake. Now it looks the backlness I was expecting from the very beginning. :yikes:

Thank you,

AM

Attached Images

• IMG_1220.JPG

#5 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 19:50

Even after a good shake I still find Platinum Carbon Black much darker than Noodler's Black.

#Nope

#6 A144

A144

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 20:02

I shake most of my inks before filling, but especially the Noodler's.  Highly saturated inks tends to have the dye settle out easier.

So many inks, so little time...

#7 tinysnail

tinysnail

math & pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 20:25

I'll need someone's input on how scientifically accurate this is, but cooler colours tend to look darker than warm ones, regardless of actuall "darkness." I added a bit of Kung Te Cheng to Noodler's X-Feather and it does indeed look darker than before.

(source: my hair colourist who dyed my hair a "cool dirty blonde" which looked way darker than it actually was)

#8 anibalgb

anibalgb

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 20:48

It has happened to me with other Inks. Now I always shake the bottle ;)

#9 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,766 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 21:02

Even after a good shake I still find Platinum Carbon Black much darker than Noodler's Black.

I agree. I like and use both of these inks, but I favor Noodler's Black, cos it writes on the most variety of papers without feathering or bleeding through.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#10 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 21:02

hmmm

OK, you shook the bottle and got the dark ink into the pen.

- But will the dye settle out of the ink in the pen?

- Will inverting the pen from nib up storage to nib down writing be enough agitation to mix the dye?

- This might be a problem for using this ink in a desk pen that is ALWAYS nib down.  The dye would settle out and down into the feed where it won't mix with the ink in the main ink reservoir.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#11 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2014 - 21:03

:P The first attempt looks like faded Noodler's Polar Black.

#12 Icywolfe

Icywolfe

I <3 Anime

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:23

I agree. I like and use both of these inks, but I favor Noodler's Black, cos it writes on the most variety of papers without feathering or bleeding through.

Platinum Carbon Black doesn't feather at all for me. Even on glorified toilet paper.

#Nope

#13 arcadeflow

arcadeflow

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:55

I really like Noodler's appeal and "raison d'être", but precipitation doesn't sound good to me.

#14 XiaoMG

XiaoMG

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:32

I've had Noodler's Black separate in pens, but only after quite a long time (several months) of disuse.

I've never found anything particularly interesting in Platinum Carbon Black.  Kiwaguro and Noodler's have consistently outperformed it for me.  Perhaps I got bum samples.

Edited by XiaoMG, 30 September 2014 - 04:33.

Robert.

#15 fc2462

fc2462

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 14:55

I too shake my ink before filling - I guess out of habit and thinking of it like a can of paint.

Love the Noodler's black though.  I've tried a dozen different inks now and always keep coming back to it.

#16 Elyptic

Elyptic

Geek

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 15:23

I always shake my inks prior to filling my pens.  Not sure why I got in the habit, but well, I guess it's a good plan!

In the case of Noodler's Black, I've never had a problem with it settling in my pens.  However, my pens generally ride around in a pocket so they are constantly being moved around.  In the case of a desk pen, I'm not sure if settling would occur or not.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers ~ Voltaire

#17 French

French

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:41

I also shake all my ink *except iron gall inks* before filling a pen. I read on a post here that shaking iron gall inks could lead to problems...

#18 Omnias

Omnias

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:14

I've found that it tends to be a dark grey on one of my cheaper feed pens with a creeper flex nib attached whenever writing without flex, and same with a medium nib.

On the converse, with a dip pen nib, it is so saturated that there is an oil like substances that feathers out on Rhodia - the black ink doesn't feather. I'm not sure if the feint oil is from the nib or the lubricating agents in the ink. I would think its just because of the high saturation in one spot.

I haven't used NB for a while, as I left it at home and have just Edelstein Topaz with me at college. It seems with FP blacks its hard to get a consistently dark and detailed black with fine or extra fine nibs, while also getting water resistance. I just use Topaz for notes despite the lack of resistance as the shading is beautiful and it has a subtle Violette sheen. However, if my hand is just slightly wet, it will smear... Times like those make me wish I had NB with me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, black, inks

Sponsored Content

|