The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Uninitiated at the Raleigh show

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Momomar

Momomar

Joi di vivre

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 20:11

The Raleigh show will be within two hundred miles and I am itching to go. This would be my first pen show; outside the obvious drool.gif , are there certain caveats one should be aware of?

There are paying days and public days - are the paid days' events worth the admission? Will there be workshops or lectures? Can one have a pen repaired or nib altered on the spot?

Are prices generally any better or worse than on the web?

Thanks.
Flying by the seat of my pants.

Sponsored Content

#2 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 March 2007 - 20:22

Take cash and hide it. Leave checkbook and CCs at home. Go with someone who has orders to restrain you when you start to babble or shake. Make sure room, meals and return trip are paid in advance. Study the photos of FPN members and exercise extreme caution. Beware of the BORG. Ignore impulse to buy one of everything. Return home safely and send all purchases to me. ph34r.gif

#3 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,683 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 21:10

Well stated, JD. smile.gif

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#4 Catsmelt

Catsmelt

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 22:24

I'm curious about the answers to your questions, also.

Specifically, what the expected turnaround time is for certain repairs; may someone contact a repair person ahead of time to lessen a turnaround.

I may also be arriving from WNC and can only spend a day at the show.

#5 aunt rebecca

aunt rebecca

elaine's aunt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 22:45

hi,

my experience is that repairers will repair your pens while you sit there and drool drool.gif

richard binder will do nibs while you sit there drool.gif

your cash will leave your pocket as if by magic.

you will be very happy blink.gif

buy a traders pass and have fun with other real pen nuts.

good luck!!

lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

#6 Richard

Richard

WWII Warbird Fan

• Member - Gold

• 4,394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2007 - 00:12

Momomar, if you haven't read my article about your first pen show, you should. Believe what it says.

At Raleigh, I will be doing nibs while you wait.

Ron Zorn will be at the next table -- assuming Terry has his wits about him -- doing general repairs while you wait. There may be other repairers there, but I'll tell you straight, Ron is one of two people to whom I would entrust my personal pens. The other is Daniel Kirchheimer.

Raleigh is a smallish show, far less likely to terrify a newbie than a huge show like Chicago or DC. Like Ohio, Raleigh is a very friendly show. The Mawhorters do a really good job of making you welcome.

If you are after the best selection of high-quality, high-desirability vintage pens, it's worth buying a weekend pass. If your target is new pens, or if you want only repairs or nib work, then a public day will work -- but you should get in the door as early as you can and get on Ron's list or mine. Our dance cards fill up pretty quickly on public days.

The hotel at the Raleigh show is unbeatable -- there's not a better one on the circuit. It's an Embassy Suites (actually in Cary, to the northwest of Raleigh). Every room is a suite. There's a free buffet breakfast with a guy behind the counter to cook your personal copy of the special of the day, which might be an omelet or eggs any way, or something else good. There's also a free happy hour, with (usually hot) hors d'oeuvres and free drinks with real booze in them. Remember, I told you Terry and Sonya do things right.
Click to send email: richard@richardspens.com
Posted Image

#7 parkercrazy

parkercrazy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 00:34

Hi Momomar,

Richard and the others are right on the money about the Raleigh show. Last year was my 1st Raleigh show and I wouldn't miss it in the future for all the tea in China.
If you decide to attend, you will have the time of your life, no doubt in my mind. Hope to see you there. happycloud9.gif happycloud9.gif

Parkercrazy, Francis

#8 Momomar

Momomar

Joi di vivre

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:37

Hello, friends. Thank you very much for all of this; it's exactly the sort of information I was needing. Sounds like it's time to BOOK THAT ROOM! (er,suite, that is). Sounds like a great first show. And Richard, I will check out the article.

As wonderful as some of the new pens are, what I'd really like to find at the show is a lever filling pen with a nib wide enough to have some personality, something reminiscent of my grandfather's fountain pens, all of which went to less deserving male cousins. I feel like this is something I need to hold in my hand before buying.

So, thank you all again. Sounds like some of our paths may cross!
Flying by the seat of my pants.

#9 Brerarnold

Brerarnold

Psychotherapist, raconteur, and rogue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:59

I am looking forward to meeting many of you at the Raleigh show. This will be my first time also.

#10 nhsmitty

nhsmitty

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 16:05

I plan to go but don't know which day it will be. My first time!

Oh, and I'll JUST be looking. laugh.gif

#11 JimStrutton

JimStrutton

The Jedi Knightmare is back....

• Member - Gold

• 4,343 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 16:44

QUOTE (Richard @ Mar 15 2007, 12:12 AM)
The hotel at the Raleigh show is unbeatable -- there's not a better one on the circuit. It's an Embassy Suites (actually in Cary, to the northwest of Raleigh). Every room is a suite. There's a free buffet breakfast with a guy behind the counter to cook your personal copy of the special of the day, which might be an omelet or eggs any way, or something else good. There's also a free happy hour, with (usually hot) hors d'oeuvres and free drinks with real booze in them. Remember, I told you Terry and Sonya do things right.

Richard,

You are a cruel, evil man wallbash.gif wallbash.gif wallbash.gif

Here I sit in cold damp Wiltshire today, wishing that I could get to a pen show and you come out with all this wonderful drivel. Just be aware of what you posts are doing to folks around the World.

I am now returning to my basement to contemplate the bottle of 2004 Sloe Gin I found earlier.

I may be gone for a while ph34r.gif

Jim
Obi Won WD40
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

#12 JimStrutton

JimStrutton

The Jedi Knightmare is back....

• Member - Gold

• 4,343 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 16:45

QUOTE (nhsmitty @ Mar 15 2007, 04:05 PM)
I plan to go but don't know which day it will be. My first time!

Oh, and I'll JUST be looking. laugh.gif

Yeah Right !
Obi Won WD40
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

#13 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,402 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2007 - 16:24

I can't really add a lot of tips to what others have posted here already, but a couple of things I learned during my first show were:
---if you need replacement parts for a certain pen, bring that pen with you rolleyes.gif
--make a list of what pen books you may want to buy and check the prices online before coming to the show. Some books are cheaper to buy online (even with shipping) and others are much cheaper to buy in person.
--don't forget the parts bin! Some pens being sold have only small cosmetic problems but are otherwise good writers
(ok, that's more than a couple of tips... laugh.gif )

Have fun!! biggrin.gif

Edited by Maja, 16 March 2007 - 16:25.

Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#14 Bayes

Bayes

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:08

I'm thinking about going too.

If you're going just to look and perhaps to buy, you pay the $10 registration fee?

#15 aunt rebecca

aunt rebecca

elaine's aunt

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:36

buying or just looking-- you pay the same price--SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL BUY!!

lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif lticaptd.gif

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

#16 HesNot

HesNot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 18:48

I'm going to try and make it for at least one day - if only to meet OldGriz, Richard, et al, in person.

Cary is a bit west, northwest of Raleigh in the general direction of Chapel Hill. I went to college in Chapel Hill which, along with Durham, form the other two points of the Triangle area (home of Research Triangle Park) and if the pens aren't enough there is a lot to do in the region...

Time to start trying to raise funds.... ohmy.gif

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

#17 Jeff E

Jeff E

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2007 - 00:48

Great advice. Do be sure to read Richard's advice. My advice is make sure to look over every table at least once or twice before making any purchase. Also sign up for pen repairs early, as Ron and Richard tend to get very busy. Above all else, have a great time!
Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

Sponsored Content

|