New Waterman Converter Doens't Fit Laureat

senzen

So I was kindly advised to try a new converter for my Laureat, which writes smoothly but seems to gush ink whenever it's not in use (you uncap it and there's loads of ink on the nib and cap). Finally received it, but the converter doesn't stay put, the design seems slightly different. Any ideas?

New one on the left.

post-80983-0-35406400-1411920827_thumb.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• Left FPN

• pajaro

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we may clarify things,

You used the original unit (right) and it resulted in ink on the nib and inside the cap.

You purchased a new style unit (left) and it will not stay attached to the section.

When you look inside the section, can you see the nipple (the end of the feed) which fits inside the converter. This also pushes the ball in when using cartridges.

Are you pushing the reservoirs in far enough. From the gold ring on the section to the end of the converter screw (black plastic part) or a cartridge should be about 62mm. I have just tried an empty cartridge, an early converter and a new style and all three are identical at 62mm.

Edited by Force

If we may clarify things,

You used the original unit (right) and it resulted in ink on the nib and inside the cap.

Yes, and I can some ink on the wrong side of this converter, so it has an internal leak / broken seal.

You purchased a new style unit (left) and it will not stay attached to the section.

Exactly.

When you look inside the section, can you see the nipple (the end of the feed) which fits inside the converter. This also pushes the ball in when using cartridges.

Yes.

Are you pushing the reservoirs in far enough. From the gold ring on the section to the end of the converter screw (black plastic part) or a cartridge should be about 62mm. I have just tried an empty cartridge, an early converter and a new style and all three are identical at 62mm.

Yes, I pushed as much as I could. The converter comes out on its own, there's nothing holding it place. I just put some duct tape around the converter, where it connects, so it doesn't fall off the pen and can now suck some ink in, but the ink on the feed problem reappeared, presumably there stil isn't a proper vacuum inside the converter...

Thanks for the help!

post-80983-0-20597900-1411936341.jpg

post-80983-0-84948500-1411936356.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Your Laureat is a series 1 but there is little difference between the two models with respect to the section and which reservoir it will accept.

I have carried out the same test with a series 1 and all three types of reservoir hold inside the section, albeit with very minimal insertion.

From this I can only conclude there is a fault within your section or that small amount of grip has just worn away.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Is there a nipple in the section?

The converter slips over and seals onto the nipple.

If the nipple has been damaged, nothing you can do will help. The pen needs to go to Waterman for repair.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks Force and act12, this is what my disassembled feed looks like: is that the nipple you're referring to?

post-80983-0-55554300-1411941996_thumb.jpg

B. Russell

No, the needle on the right of the feed (lower pic) passes through the nipple which should be inside the grip (upper pic). With the aid of a torch look up inside the grip where you should see the nipple.

Just a point here, there is a double seal taking place, both the inside of the reservoir and on the ooutside of its end orifice. If the reservoir is lose when isterted in the section there is something not right inside the grip.

NRW will not be able to repair this part so it is of no use contacting them. You will have to source a new part elsewhere. I also suspect you will end up buying a complete pen.

Thanks, I think I do see the nipple, I'll try to do one last attempt to get a metal end converter... Somehow as those sellers showing the metal end converter actually sell the new plastic one...

fpn_1412014876__img_20140929_130322.jpg

fpn_1412014853__img_20140929_130426.jpg

B. Russell

OK good.

Some internet sellers still display the older style converters notify viewers that the converters are not as show. Why on earth they don't update their photo stock I don't know.

You may do well on ebay where private sellers show what they have.

The nipple on your Laureat section is gone. You need a new or used good section. You might try calling Newell Rubbermaid to see if they still sell Laureat sections, but if they have one it might come with nib and feed. I bought a Phileas section with nib and feed from them earlier this year, and it might not hurt to check.

If you have to buy a pen on ebay it will probably cost upwards of $40 shipped for a decent Laureat. I have been looking for a Laureat section without success, and Laureat pens are going for about $40 with shipping from USA to CONUS, and Laureats often go higher here, like $75 and up.

I should take my own advice and call Newell Rubbermaid.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Following on from pajaro's comment, perhaps I missed something.

To confirm his thoughts, measure the distance from the end of the section to the top of the nipple. It should be 15mm.

In addition, reassemble the feed and nib and if the needle of the feed protrudes further than the nipple end, it has broken.

I can now confirm, following high magnification, that the port has 4 protrusions (moulded webs) that grip the outside of the reservoir. Further down there are 4 more protrusions that contact the outer surface of the reservoir mouth aiding its compaction onto the tapered nipple...where the sealing is taking place. If the reservoir is lose then there is more going on than just nipple damage. If the 4 protrusions are worn away then strain will have been placed on the nipple which assisted its damage.

Remove pipe from mouth and blow smoke into the air B)

Edited by Force

Very grateful Force and pajaro! The needle of the feed does seem to fit inside the nipple as it should... I'll see if I can contact Newell Rubbermaid.

fpn_1412108154__2014-9-30_15-9-43.jpg

I'm going to stop fiddling with this pen, it always ends in disaster with me and pens that don't work.

B. Russell

Very grateful Force and pajaro! The needle of the feed does seem to fit inside the nipple as it should... I'll see if I can contact Newell Rubbermaid.

fpn_1412108154__2014-9-30_15-9-43.jpg

I'm going to stop fiddling with this pen, it always ends in disaster with me and pens that don't work.

From what I see the nipple is the correct length.

Good luck with NRW.

If the nipple is the correct length, shouldn't the converter fit correctly into the section? I suppose frequent removal and replacement of the converter might have worn the inside of the section so the converter wouldn't fit tightly any more.

I have seven Laureats in conditions varying from near mint to well used. The old and new converters fit tightly in the sections. I did find an eighth Laureat where the nipple and partition in the section were missing -- the section was a tube with the nib and feed fairly tight in one end and the converter fitting tightly into the back end, and the pen worked. I found this on changing the nib. So, I am looking for a new section.

I then found a Laureat on sale on ebay at a cheap price, and I threw out a bid in the expectation of being outbid. I might find this pen an upgrade to the black-with-red-rings (tortoise?) pen I have. With shipping, $39 and change.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterman-Laureat-Red-and-Black-Ring-Fountain-pen-In-Original-Box-/131304968961?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=XNbjq%252FRy7EkVCA%252B14lBQvNOK8Dk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_287wt_662

So the prices are not cheap after all.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The top pix, the nipple looks like it is cracked shorter than it should be.

In the bottom pix, head on into the section, it is hard to tell how long the nipple is (if it is cracked or not) and how far the feed projects out the back of the nipple or not.

If you do not feel any friction when you push the converter on, that tells me the nipple is gone.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Duh! I forgot to write that the distance from the end of the section to the top of the nipple does indeed seem to be 15 mm. The old style metal head converters fit well; the new plastic head converter I got enters but doesn't stay put, as if its diameter were smaller.

B. Russell

So the nipple is good.

All you require is another old style converter to try or use cartridges which can be syringe filled (or vacuum filled ;) ).

I heard the new style Watermans (the ones with the all black plastic connector) are very tight at first. So maybe you should push harder.

But perhaps first you should compare how deep a normal cartridge sits, and this new converter in it's loose position.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I heard the new style Watermans (the ones with the all black plastic connector) are very tight at first. So maybe you should push harder.

But perhaps first you should compare how deep a normal cartridge sits, and this new converter in it's loose position.

D.ick

as per my post #2