Staples Sustainable Earth Sugarcane Graph Paper

fiberdrunk

Hurray! Staples has produced their excellent Sustainable Earth sugarcane paper as graph paper now! The pads are 8 1/2 x 11 inches and have 100 sheets. They are filler paper (i.e. they are not a bound pad... the sheets are loose-leaf and without a chipboard backing). The printed lines are light tan and very unobtrusive, especially compared with other graph paper with the blue lines. The paper is fountain pen friendly, with no feathering and little to no show-through on the back side (no bleed-through, either). At least the show-through isn't bothersome enough for me to avoid writing on the backside, but others may not think so (see scans below). The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that it's already been hole-punched. That, and maybe the price, which is a bit high: $10.39 for 100-sheets. You can only buy this online, not in-store. If you have a Staples Reward card, you get free shipping to your house; otherwise, you can get free shipping by ordering it and picking it up at the store. All in all, an excellent paper.

Order it at Staples here (Item: 77272).

15178519137_8bde05a232_b.jpg

Writing samples:

15178345630_577d722bc7_b.jpg

Back side (degree of show-through):

15178512777_091f24b39a_b.jpg

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fiberdrunk

• mikehodgman

• Bennett

• unimpressed_llama

Thanks for sharing this info. I use Sustainable Earth sugarcane-based notebooks. They are affordable and great with fountain pens. Will definitely try our thus graph paper version.

Nice review! I have had no luck with the sugarcane notebooks though. I bought one a while ago and it was great. Now I buy them are they are just awful for fountain pens. What happened?!?!

Edited by mikehodgman

Nice review! I have had no luck with the sugarcane notebooks though. I bought one a while ago and it was great. Now I buy them are they are just awful for fountain pens. What happened?!?!

Was it Staples Sustainable Earth that you had trouble with? I have heard others complain of this, too. Some say to look at the printed lines... if they appear fuzzy, you know you've got a bad batch. Of course, if you have to mail order the product, you won't be able to check this ahead of time. I did a review of the Office Depot sugarcane notebooks last year, and that paper had horrible show-through by comparison. Country of origin isn't always a guarantee, either. Both papers are from Egypt and both are 80% sugarcane. Usually I've had pretty good luck with the Egyptian papers, except for the Office Depot one.

Edited by fiberdrunk

Yeah, it was Staples Sustainable Earth. This thread inspired me to try again with the notebooks so I went and picked one up. Guess what? It writes great! Fantastic even! Gotta good batch I guess. I'm gonna go back and grab a bunch :)

Yeah, it was Staples Sustainable Earth. This thread inspired me to try again with the notebooks so I went and picked one up. Guess what? It writes great! Fantastic even! Gotta good batch I guess. I'm gonna go back and grab a bunch :)

Yay! :thumbup: