Wing Sung 590: S.b.r.e. Brown And I Say, "great Pen"

k3eax

I watched the Unassailable Mr Brown as you suggested 'way long ago at the top o' the post.

I am sold! And an easy sale it was at $3.99 including postage and a gift box.

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/s-l140_zps47029c12.jpg.html?filters[user]=139176284&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

I carry a Swiss Army knife (enlisted man non-NCO model) but would not consider attempting the many tweaks described above after the original post.

I think Chinese pens come as they are, and with two you get egg roll.

Edited by Dickkooty2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• k3eax

• Flounder

• hari317

• scrivelry

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like more than it was. In my case, it was

1. Pull numb and feed

2. Cut nib channel wider

3. Put nib and feed back.

I reported every step and misstep along the way, but really, that's all that I did. Just took a while to figure it out.

I think Flounder only took his apart as much as you would to fill it anyway, and washed it several times.

I hope yours comes ready to write, but if not, at 3.99 what have you got to lose by hacking a little?

Either way, wish you happiness with your 590!

I completely disassembled mine, apart from separating the breather tube from the feed. The smell is away now, and the pen is polished up and inked up. Mine seems to write okay, and the feed does have the discernable channel I would expect.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Did you go so far as taking the sac off and putting it back on, Flounder, or just take the cage part off? Glad you got the smell out and I presume you're happy with it writing.

Some day I will do the other pen, but... not today. Today I am just gathering up my strength to address the matter of exactly how many sacs I need, and of what sizes, to fix all my poor sacless pens, while I am flush with the victory of getting this one up and running.

Oh, no, I left the sac on. It is a decent size, I could scrub the inside of the ink sac with detergent using a cotton bud though the section.

It's an okay writer, nothing really special. I quite like it.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I may have to get one just to screw around with.

I'm really here because the OP's username caught my eye... If I am interpreting your username correctly, I'll say: de N2ADV ;)

Edited by PrtclMn001

I bought one of the cheap ones. It arrived today, arriving remarkably quickly. But, then, there's nothing else going on in Hong Kong at the moment, so at least the Post Office is working.

Mine smells, a little bit, of old must. A quick soak and clean should fix it.

I dipped mine and it wrote nicely, a fine but wettish line. The nib may need a little tine adjustment and smoothing, but it's not bad for the price.

The pen reminds me of the inexpensive Manuscript calligraphy pens in material and construction.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I may have to get one just to screw around with.

I'm really here because the OP's username caught my eye... If I am interpreting your username correctly, I'll say: de N2ADV ;)

QSL, de K3EAX

My brace have just arrived :)

They're HUGE but my nibs are defo medium line makers :mellow:

KWZI inks about to be loaded and tested . . .

UPDATE - One of them refuses to work and the other is about as rewarding to write with as a broomstick.

I can tell, these are going to take up more of my time tinkering than all of my Noodlers put together :(

My advice . . . If you want a huge Chinese pen, Jinhao 159 all the way. Infinitely better made and a darn site more comfortable.

Hope yours prove better writers than mine guys . . .

• 2 weeks later...

I replied to another post regarding this pen. I purchased one of the $3.99 samples and the sac definitely has a strong smell, the material seems sound. I widened the ink channel and aligned the tines. My pen writes very well, no skipping and good ink flow. The nib is soft and springy and provides some line variation. I would definitely purchase this pen again. I don't think you need to be a Nibmeister to make this pen write, I definitely feel that widening the ink channel made for a more pleasing flow.

Michael

My advice . . . If you want a huge Chinese pen, Jinhao 159 all the way. Infinitely better made and a darn site more comfortable.

^^This^^

After almost 30 days since buying, my pen finally arrived today. I suspect I could have hitchhiked to China and back faster.

IMHO, the pen is a POS. I dipped it and it wrote, but a disposable bic pen will write too.

The body is super light, likely because it is made of the thinnest plastic I have experienced in a pen.

Poor barrel to cap fitting, with the threads binding slightly.

It is ridiculously long. I like big pens, but damn.

Poorly finished hardware, flimsy clip, etc.

I just feels cheap.

I spent $3.99 on this pen and still feel cheated.

The pen is light. The metalwork on mine is in pretty decent shape. The pen is definitely long, but it is not a pocket pen despite the clip. I am very pleased with the line variation provided by this nib. If you remove a little bit of the tipping material you get a very fine line and nice swells with very light pressure. I will likely order another. All in all, for $3.99 you are not likely to find a pen that will be more pleasant to write with. I would be interested to know if anyone has found other Chinese Pens with semi-flex nibs?

Michael

I watched the Unassailable Mr Brown as you suggested 'way long ago at the top o' the post.

I am sold! And an easy sale it was at $3.99 including postage and a gift box.

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/s-l140_zps47029c12.jpg.html?filters[user]=139176284&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

I carry a Swiss Army knife (enlisted man non-NCO model) but would not consider attempting the many tweaks described above after the original post.

I think Chinese pens come as they are, and with two you get egg roll.

Wing Sung 590 arrived today! A club of a pen!

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/WingSClub_zps6ee2638a.jpeg

A writing sample:

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/Scan_zpsb67dfc59.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0

For $3.99, one helluva deal!

Edited by Dickkooty2

Wow, this has turned out to be quite a contentious pen, lots of conflicting opinions!

Personally speaking: I may still be in the novelty stage. I like using the 590. I'd never consider the Jinhao 159 because I prefer a light pen, and prefer the warmth of plastic instead of metal.

Still - my more expensive example does not seem to be in much better condition than the cheapest available, so I wouldn't pay more than $4 next time!

Poor barrel to cap fitting, with the threads binding slightly.

My barrel to section threads were slightly baulky. I applied plastic polish to the threads, and rotated the barrel and section fast in both directions across the baulky bit, and it smoothed out nice and fast. Give it a go!

My barrel to section threads were slightly baulky. I applied plastic polish to the threads, and rotated the barrel and section fast in both directions across the baulky bit, and it smoothed out nice and fast. Give it a go!

Good tip. Thanks Flounder.

My 5$ example arrived today, nearly 28days after placing the order. It was supposed to be loacted in Hong Kong as per the ebay listing. But my package came from Mainland China.

fpn_1414177026__img_0393.jpg

fpn_1414177064__img_0394.jpg

Observations:

• Plating is OK, there is some tarnishing on the cap ring. Shows the same dragon pattern on the ring as on my Hei long jiang
  • There was no foul smell, all well on that count.
  • But I anyway took the pen apart totally (except sac) and cleaned the pen up.
  • The feeder is ebonite, quite well made, and has properly cut channels:

Before scrub:

fpn_1414176778__img_0386.jpg

fpn_1414176821__img_0387.jpg

Post Scrub:

fpn_1414176935__img_0389.jpg

fpn_1414176980__img_0390.jpg

• The nib needed some work, some tine rotation was needed to make the slit walls parallel and the ground surface on the pellet true. As previously observed, the nib is easily malleable, does not exhibit much spring at all.
  • The breather tube has an outlet into the main air channel into the feed and is clear.
  • The pen is clearly injection molded and the fit and finish is actually quite nice at the 5$ price point.
  • I have dipped tested the pen, it writes well so far and the feed held ink sufficient for 5-6 sentences on A4 wide paper.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I picked one of these up recently, and I have to say it has me puzzled. It dip-tests beautifully, and once filled, it writes beautifully--for a few lines, until the ink on the end of the nib is gone. But no ink will pass beyond a point in the middle of the feed. I've tried routine flushing, disassembly and brushing with detergent solution, and even widening the (very, very narrow) ink channels. No change.

One unusual thing I noticed is that the feed on my pen is not ebonite: it is soft, flexible rubber. I am wondering if either (a) the soft rubber is hydrophobic enough to prevent ink from moving through the channel or (B) the feed is so soft that when I insert it into the section the constriction forces the ink channels to close.

In any case I ran out of time for experimentation, but I think I will come back to it. I've never encountered a fully soft rubber feed before. I wonder if this was standard, or if it was a manufacturing error. If the latter, how on earth did they shape it so accurately--molding? The fins are perfectly formed.

ron