The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Iroshizuku Feathering

iroshizuku feathering take-sumi tsuki-yo

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kanaka

kanaka

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:26

Friends,

I've noticed one phenomenon that holds true across pens, nib widths, flow, and choice of paper: take-sumi is more prone to feathering that tsuki-yo. If one pen can't handle take-sumi, I ink it up with the tsuki-yo and the problem of feathering is solved. For this reason, I use the tsuki-yo as a "therapeutic" ink.

Has anyone had this experience? I have only used these two inks. Would you be able to rank feather-proneness across the inks?

More importantly, how does Kon-peki do when compared to take-sumi or tsuki-yo?

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:50

I have Take-sumi but the Paper I use is a bit on the absorbent side... because lefty... hmmm never generally noticed the feathering
and
i used Take-Sumi to do my custom heritage 91 review which is a springy SFM

Edited by Algester, 26 September 2014 - 12:52.

#3 apkayle

apkayle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:55

I have experienced poor behavior with Iroshizuku inks. My Take Sumi and Momiji feather quite a bit on decent paper.

#4 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,700 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 13:17

I have like 5 Iroshizuku inks and I used Muji paper... which to us is by far a decent paper if Rhodia is VERY VERY HARD to get... beyond that I do not know
Inks I have are Take-Sumi, Fuyu-Syogun, Ina-ho, Yu-yake, Murasaki-Shikibu

Edited by Algester, 26 September 2014 - 13:18.

#5 A144

A144

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 13:29

Of the Iros I've sampled and own, only Shin-ryoku feathers a bit on poor paper.  No problems on Rhodia, Clairefontaine, or HP 32lb Laser though.

I've used/own Shin-ryoku, Ku-jaku, Yama-guri, Take-sumi, Syo-ro, Yama-budo, Asa-gao and have dip tested a few others like Momiji, Tsuki-yo, and Kon-peki.  No problems across the board.

So many inks, so little time...

#6 bjornhansson

bjornhansson

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 13:38

I have eight of the Iroshizuku inks. The only one of them that feathers significantly is Fuyu-Syogun.
Unfortunately, I do not know how Kon-Peki behaves, but I don't remember hearing any complaints about its performance.

#7 arcadeflow

arcadeflow

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2014 - 15:26

I guess black inks are supposed to feather more than others, that is why Noodler's developed X-Feather as a black ink, to fix this problem.

#8 FoszFay

FoszFay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:03

My Kon-Peki behaves very well on everything. Even in my EF 580, which is a very, very wet writer.

Tom.

#9 gwyneddd

gwyneddd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:17

I use Kon-Peki a lot and have Momiji, Chikin-ryu and Fuyu Syogen. I write in a not that great notebook made of Leeds paper (one of those giveaways from meetings in a leather cover.) I don't see feathering except a tiny tiny bit for Momiji. Generally, I'm writing with my Montblanc Slimline, medium nib.

Edited by gwyneddd, 27 September 2014 - 10:18.

#10 SeeksAdvice

SeeksAdvice

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:10

Most of my Iroshizuku is pretty well behaved.  Have experienced some feathering at times, but nothing like Noodler's QSH, Bad Green Gator, etc. 

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

#11 KBeezie

KBeezie

Gerbil Charmer

• Member - Gold

• 5,553 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 18:42

I have not had an issue with Tsuki-yo (nor too big a problem with Kon-peki or Fuyu-syogun) especially in regards to feathering but I usually only put it in nibs like a Western Fine and smaller. Now Ama-iro on the other hand, that feathered really fast for me.

Edited by KBeezie, 28 September 2014 - 18:42.

#12 sarahfar

sarahfar

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:38

Iro inks are generally very free flowing. I would think quality of paper and how the paper is absorbent or repels ink along with feed flow rate not so much the brand would have more to say about it.

If you are getting feathering on Clairfontaine 90 gsm for example it would be interesting . Cheap notebooks or copy paper, however with this wet a ink I could see that occurring. On Rhoda, Clairefontaine or Tomoe though  longer dry times and smearing yes, feathering no.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iroshizuku, feathering, take-sumi, tsuki-yo

Sponsored Content

|