Satnink Ballpoint Refills

kevinm1

Just got the new gel refill (Satnink) refill for ballpoints from Fahrneys. Have the medium point black and I can tell you they write like a dream. Tried it out on Ampad heavy weight blue pad, HP brillant white printer paper and my Exaclair weekly planner. The refill is much smoother with more intense black ink than the Monteverde compatible type refill and head over heals from Parker gel ink for a ballpoint. They are expensive at $15.00 a pop for two but well worth it for different Cross writing experience. Time will tell on the write out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kevinm1

• Vintage Razor

• rminj

• Drone

Finely some good refills from Cross for their ballpoint pens? I gave up writing with my Cross BPs as I could not stand the refills.

I just saw these is a Fahrneys catalog. I'm a pen enthusiast but Cross sure didn't advertise these.

Are they more like a Schmidt Easyflow ink ?

All's not well that ends not well.

Have to change my opinion on these refills. Having used one for about a week I just managed to get the pen out of my shirt pocket with a small stain before things got out of hand. They do leak after some use and have tended to blob over time. Won't be using this one again, in fact sent a note to Cross with the refills and am curious to see if there will be any reply and...at $15.00 a pop whether they offer to replace with any other refills. Having said this and to put things into context I am very satisfied with the gel refills.

Yes, my local pen shop replied back to me about them. They are not carrying them yet as there is a quality control problem.

It is interesting...the old ballpoint Cross refills tend to be very dry writing putting very little ink on the paper...one needs to carve their name with them to get ink on the paper.

For my non-Cross Pens i've used the following archival inks:

a.) the Schmidt Easyflow 9000. This is smooth and rarely blobs (unless you use the broad point ones).. the Easyflow seems to have the balance between viscosity, writing and non-blobbing down to a science. Does not blob/expand/leak when sitting. Combined with precise tolerances on the tip and length this is the best refill I've found.

b.) the Schneider Viscoglide XB. Maybe it was the giant broad point but this blobbed and put ink all over the place...I don't mind a bit of blobbing but the ink accumulated on the tip if drawing a long line... returned them.

c.) The Parker QuinkFlow.. the ones I've used didn't blob when writing but one seemed to leak when sitting. Very odd.. Is this what the Cross SatnInk refills did ?

• 1 month later...

An update from Fahrney's after I called asking if Cross corrected to problem. The refills have been pulled until at least January since they are not up to Cross' standards. I sent the two back I had to Cross with a note asking if they knew the refills under-performed and have not yet gotten an answer. Be interesting to see if I do.

• 4 months later...

Has there been any updates on this? I still have some refills on backorder from FPH since October.

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any updates on this? I still have some refills on backorder from FPH since October.

Same here and would be very interested to learn wha the status is.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I sent an email to Cross asking about the Satnink refills last week.. No reply back from them yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I see that the Cross Satnink refills are now listed on ebay..

Be careful, maybe they are fakes? Are the refills coming from reputable U.S. sellers on ebaY? A month or so ago I was in Singapore and spoke with Danny at Fook-Hing Trading (a knowledgeable high-end pen retailer IMO) and brought this topic up. He too has been watching (seemingly forever now) for the "real" release of these refills. It seems the first release was not good, and the refills were pulled by Cross. Please correct me If I'm wrong about any of this. With Regards, David in Jakarta

This could be the best company name ever.

That company name has to be a joke right? Too many things I could say and get kicked off.....I'll quit now.

This is no joke...

I do not take such things lightly; it would be disrespectful to those I cite, as well as the fine community here at FPN.

Fook Hing Trading Co. is a first-class fountain pen shop that can certainly hold a bright candle to anything in the E.U. or U.S. I have been there in-person.

As for me - no affiliation with Fook-Hing other than as a customer. Visit their Web-site if you so choose (link below).

With Regards, David

Fook Hing Trading Co

Purveyor of Fine Writing Instruments and Watches Since 1960

231 Bain Street #01-23 Bras Basah Complex

Singapore 180231

Tel: +65-6337-3045

Fax: +65-6337-3735

Web: www.fookhingtrading.com

Email: sales@asiapenwatch.com

I certainly meant no disrespect and I have no doubt it is a fine company. I just find the name to be rather humorous.

My wife says that I have the sense of humor of a 14 year old boy and I can't say that I disagree.

Edited by blINK

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

I recently purchased a few refills the seller is in Hong Kong.. The packaging is the same as the ones I purchased about a year ago from a US seller.