FoszFay

Lets not mince words, it is plexiglass.

I was merely pointing out the origin of the word. I roll my eyes at this whole marketing ploy of pretentious words (the world is FULL of them - take the wine industry for example). One has to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. But I guess for any company to put forward a product in the best possible light they have to come up with such terms or no one is going to be tempted or swayed into buying their products. I wouldn't buy a MB pen brand new simply because I think there are excellent second hand MB pens out there today for a lot less (all of mine are excellent second hand pens bought for a decent price). They are well made and the plastic/resin/plexiglas/edelharz is cut very well, fitted with attention to detail, and polished up to a brilliant shine. And the nib (especially on the monotone 146) is amongst my favourite writers. The piston mechanism is also very sturdy. I found the 146 to be ideal for my hand in terms of weight, girth, length etc. I don't post my pens.

So Tom, if you're thinking about getting one, try out the different models and nibs out at the MB store - you have nothing to lose anyway. Then go hunting for a good second hand model :)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FoszFay

• mrchan

• de_pen_dent

• HamFist

Thats Funny!!!! Maybe the Doctors I know in Brooklyn and NYC would fit in perfect with the one showy Doc down under. It's so hard to generalize... any of these topics, specially since this truly a world wide forum where cultures collide.

My doctor uses a Pilot G2 because she says everywhere she has ever worked nice pens tend to go missing.

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

My doctor uses a Pilot G2 because she says everywhere she has ever worked nice pens tend to go missing.

Pens being lost is a universal thing especially for doctors and nurses. There doesn't seem to be any respect for property worldwide, most specifically and especially pens. I always keep my pens on me so I have never ever lost any :)

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

The term "precious resin" has been discussed on the Montblanc forum before - it is a literal translation of the German word "Edelharz" . If I may quote mirosc (a member here) who wrote about it :-

This is not the first time I've heard that explanation, yet it still doesn't move me because it's irrelevant. No matter how it started, if you don't think Montblanc's decision to keep using it was premeditated and knowingly misleading to the uninitiated, then boy, do I ever have a bridge to sell you! To me it's just not right, but as always this is simply my personal opinion, I'm sure others will disagree with me, and that's just okey dokey with me. Universal agreement would be a tad dull, I think.

3 new and the rest second hand.

Any particular reason for that? You previous comments led me to believe you were happy to pay RRP...

Tom.

This is not the first time I've heard that explanation, yet it still doesn't move me because it's irrelevant. No matter how it started, if you don't think Montblanc's decision to keep using it was premeditated and knowingly misleading to the uninitiated, then boy, do I ever have a bridge to sell you! To me it's just not right, but as always this is simply my personal opinion, I'm sure others will disagree with me, and that's just okey dokey with me. Universal agreement would be a tad dull, I think.

I am not supporting nor subscribing to what MB do and don't do with their marketing ploys. If you read my last post above, it was just a possible explanation into the pretentiousness of the word "precious resin" and how it MIGHT be a translation issue. Now, I do not know exactly what material is used for their pens but I have seen the word "resin" used in describing the material for other fountain pens (such as Aurora) so I don't quite understand what you mean when you say they are misleading the uninitiated. Is the addition of the adjective really that misleading? Waterman have changed their naming of inks to include an adjective in front such as "Audacious Red" and so forth. Are they misleading the public? However, some people are sold on such words and are willing to spend big bucks on them. It is not just MB but other "exclusive" brands that spin out florid words to entice people to purchase their products. These days its all about the packaging and marketing where everything has to be beautifully wrapped up with nice catch phrases etc.

Edited by Tritonus

Any particular reason for that? You previous comments led me to believe you were happy to pay RRP...

Tom.

Difficult to obtain the older versions of the Writer's Editions brand new. They just simply aren't sold at shops any longer. I will pay retail if I want the pen very much, otherwise I am content to wait for a good deal to come up online. Like the Pelikan M800 brown tortoiseshell I paid less than half retail :D While I do like obtaining pens, I do shop smart too you know :/

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart!

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Almost every Doctor - Lawyer - Banker - Professional I know wears a MB pen in their pocket like a status symbol...

As a former consultant, I know a lot of people who used MB pens. It wasnt a "status symbol" - it was just a nice, professional pen to have, just as nice watches, nice ties, nice shoes and nice suit were all part of a professional ensemble.

Most people I've met in that setting didnt buy MB to stick out - they bought it b/c it was about the only brand they knew. So if they wanted to have a nice pen to use in a professional setting, well MB it was. Very little thought about image went into it.

Only pen geeks like us think that pens and image are related.

As a former consultant, I know a lot of people who used MB pens. It wasnt a "status symbol" - it was just a nice, professional pen to have, just as nice watches, nice ties, nice shoes and nice suit were all part of a professional ensemble.

Most people I've met in that setting didnt buy MB to stick out - they bought it b/c it was about the only brand they knew. So if they wanted to have a nice pen to use in a professional setting, well MB it was. Very little thought about image went into it.

Only pen geeks like us think that pens and image are related.

That's what I think.

People in 'professional' positions want a nice pen. The brand that comes to mind: Montblanc.

These people enjoy the pens (because they are good), but I think that they tend to believe that the quality (build and performance) is unmatched, just because they haven't tried any other pens within that price range.

Tom.

That's what I think.

People in 'professional' positions want a nice pen. The brand that comes to mind: Montblanc.

These people enjoy the pens (because they are good), but I think that they tend to believe that the quality (build and performance) is unmatched, just because they haven't tried any other pens within that price range.

Tom.

I work in a professional setting -- and the overwhelming majority of my colleagues use disposable ballpoint pens.

I work in a professional setting -- and the overwhelming majority of my colleagues use disposable ballpoint pens.

It depends what your definition for 'professional setting' is.

Tom.

They're collectors, and geek enthusiast and folks that buy them as status symbols or part of a rich man toys, who simply owns MBs because they can and sometimes, one person can be all of above.

I don't know why people have a hard time understanding that MB's draw a dynamic cu$tomer ba$e... and there'$ a reason why MB $tores are located around other High End " toy " $tores.

I understand to most here MB's are a finely designed precision writing instrument.... and thats all that matters.

Edited by amcityink

I'll probably take it further - most of the clients and colleagues I've worked with who want a MB arent really pen enthusiasts or even particularly enjoy the act of using a nice pen: to them, it is just an accessory that goes with their profession. Just like a smart suit. Buy whatever is convenient and move on.

People have a far greater involvement in their choice of ties rather than their pen, IME.

It depends what your definition for 'professional setting' is.

Tom.

I'm talking about people with advanced degrees who wear nice clothes to work.

Edited by Koyote

This is true of ALL advertising & marketing, though!

Without it, our so beloved capitalist system would collapse.

Not that I necessarily disagree with you ;)

The market is pretty accurate in determining that MB is overpriced. As soon as the 146/149 goes out the door, the used price is closer to 50% of new.

Not many things drop in value by 50% if the new price actually reflects the value.

I think you are contradicting yourself.

If they were overpriced they would not go out the door as no one would buy them. As they are selling by definition they are not overpriced. Simply supply and demand.

I think a lot of them are sold on the secondhand market for a number of reasons. Firstly, because a lot are sold. Secondly, I think a lot are bought as gifts which for whatever reason people don't want. Thirdly, I think if people are falling on hard times it is hard to justify owning luxury items. I'm sure there are other reasons on top of them.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Hello Tom,

Well, I'm not sure what to say, I will probably never own a Mont Blanc because I cannot see myself spending $800 and up for one pen. However, like David said, they must be priced right for their millieu - because they do sell well and their still around.

I do know they have excellent service; a friend of mine, a few years ago, dropped his 149 (or 146, I cannot recall) on a tile floor at his office and it shattered like a light bulb. He sent the bag of pieces and shards to MB and they sent him a new pen! There aren't very many companies that will do that.

Best regards,

Chris

No deprecation intended, but how is it ethical for a company to sell a $1000 pen that will break on impact, whereas a 99¢ BIC pen won't break even if dropped from the top of a building.

No deprecation intended, but how is it ethical for a company to sell a $1000 pen that will break on impact, whereas a 99¢ BIC pen won't break even if dropped from the top of a building.

Most plastic fps from a range of brands and prices are susceptible to damage when dropped with enough force, for example, hard floor, because they use attractive, lightweight plastics and because they are heavy compared to a Bic. Fortunately it's relatively inexpensive to replace broken plastic components of modern pens.

In contrast having a dented metal pen or chipped urushi pen are bigger problems, and the damaged component is much more expensive to replace, and in the case of urushi, it can be difficult to match the replacement part with with the older undamaged parts.

Edited by Blade Runner

The horror.... :yikes:

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.