FoszFay

Well, in defense of the 149, the piston is pretty robust and long lasting and I would not eschew using it on that basis. That said, I do agree with you that the cartridge converter is a more convenient and flexible filling system, only losing out in terms of capacity to built in piston mechanisms.

My objections to the 149 are purely because I think MB has it overpriced for what you get. The whole "precious resin" thing annoys me and I tend to think badly of MB in general because of it. I would, however, like to try one some day, and if comfortable in hand, I'd likely get one on the used market with a maximum price of $300 or so.

Edited by Baric

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FoszFay

• mrchan

• de_pen_dent

• HamFist

Once it broke, it is quite expensive to repair, Sir. In converter, you just dump it and but a new one, Sailor charges only 5 US $ a piece.

That's my thinking. Well as you said, majority will not be agree but I am really not comfortable using the pen because that maintenance issue.

Sounds reasonable enough. But I've never seen pistons break on MBs, unless they have been older models that have been left sitting for several years, thus requiring a new one.

Tom.

I had the piston fixed in my 149- however it's about 25 years old and it appears that this was the only time it was serviced and it was quite well used before it came to me. No complaints there if the piston lasts that long! I found the service price was more reasonable than expected. I couldn't afford a new 149 (or Pelikan M1000 either), however they are often quite reasonable on the used market, just remember to factor in that you may need to have an older pen serviced.

Before I tried a 149 I didn't have any desire to get one- it was too expensive, too plain and I'm not in to the "luxury" aspect. However, after getting to take one for a spin at a pen show I changed my mind. It's the most comfortable pen I have used in terms of shape and size and the quirky OM nib that my pen has suits me well.

Well, in defense of the 149, the piston is pretty robust and long lasting and I would not eschew using it on that basis. That said, I do agree with you that the cartridge converter is a more convenient and flexible filling system, only losing out in terms of capacity to built in piston mechanisms.

My objections to the 149 are purely because I think MB has it overpriced for what you get. The whole "precious resin" thing annoys me and I tend to think badly of MB in general because of it. I would, however, like to try one some day, and if comfortable in hand, I'd likely get one on the used market with a maximum price of $300 or so.

The term "precious resin" has been discussed on the Montblanc forum before - it is a literal translation of the German word "Edelharz" . If I may quote mirosc (a member here) who wrote about it :-

"Montblanc is a German company and if you want to understand them, you should take a look at the German language and its history. "Precious resin" is nothing more than a bad translation of the German name for the material "Edelharz", with "edel" meaning "precious" and "harz" meaning "resin" if translated very literally with a dictionary. The same term "Edelharz" is used in German language by Faber-Castell (E-motion) and many other manufacturers. It's a very old, traditional term and has been in use since the end of the 19th century for a variety of materials (e.g. Galalith - lookup wikipedia) to show the difference to celluloid and bakelite, which also had some colorful merchandising names back then.

Montblanc has just picked up that "romantic" old German term and translated its syllables to English words."

Some words sometimes don't mean what they seem to mean (such as the Japanese ink called "Wancher") :)

I am a fan of piston fillers because they hold more ink than converters.

I suspect a lot of people don't like Montblanc because they have branched out to include perfumes, watches, wallets etc. (becoming a "lifestyle" brand to rival others such as Bvlgari etc.). To others, it is a means of survival in this increasingly difficult world of fountain pens - you only have to see how many once-great fountain pen companies have closed down, gone into receivership etc. to realise how smart MB have been in keeping abreast with shifting trends. If they keep selling and drawing people into buying (expensive) fountain pens, kudos to them for maintaining this interest in fountain pens in today's digital world.

Edited by Tritonus

The market is pretty accurate in determining that MB is overpriced. As soon as the 146/149 goes out the door, the used price is closer to 50% of new.

Not many things drop in value by 50% if the new price actually reflects the value.

Montblancs are very nice pens, but I think it is the way they go about their marketing and hype combined with the fact that they are relatively basic plastic pens with nice nibs that in most any other brand would be sold for half of what is charged that gets to me. As for their customer service, I too had one of my MB's drop a short distance onto a wooden floor and the barrel shattered. However unlike the above post where the person received a new pen from MB, when I wrote a very nice letter to Customer Service I got back a brusk note saying the pen falling was my fault and if I wanted a replacement barrel I would need to send them a check for $350 to pay for it and that was all they would offer.

Montblancs are very nice pens, but I think it is the way they go about their marketing and hype combined with the fact that they are relatively basic plastic pens with nice nibs that in most any other brand would be sold for half of what is charged that gets to me. As for their customer service, I too had one of my MB's drop a short distance onto a wooden floor and the barrel shattered. However unlike the above post where the person received a new pen from MB, when I wrote a very nice letter to Customer Service I got back a brusk note saying the pen falling was my fault and if I wanted a replacement barrel I would need to send them a check for $350 to pay for it and that was all they would offer.

Not sure what country and time that was, but MB North America customer service would never ask that much for a barrel replacement.

Nothing wrong with MB pistons, mine are ~50 years old and still robust.

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

How much are Montblanc services? Just a standard service? I read somewhere before they are $70...

Tom.

I think we can all agree that MBs are terribly overpriced and a rich mans toy... just 15-20 years ago a basic MB FP were 50% less in price, and nothing has changed with the actual product... Buying an MB is paying for MB's German employees, 8 weeks vacations, health care and pensions. But they have created this incredible nich market for themselves... Hey! more power to them. They've almost single handedly kept FP's relevant for all these years

With that said, they are high quality and have a wonderful feel and everyone should own one (or 10) in their lifetime.

I think we can all agree that MBs are terribly overpriced and a rich mans toy... just 15-20 years ago a basic MB FP were 50% less in price, and nothing has changed with the actual product... Buying an MB is paying for MB's German employees, 8 weeks vacations, health care and pensions. But they have created this incredible nich market for themselves... Hey! more power to them. They've almost single handedly kept FP's relevant for all these years

With that said, they are high quality and have a wonderful feel and everyone should own one (or 10) in their lifetime.

I am not a rich man and I think its a toy that I play with constantly.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I am not a rich man and I think its a toy that I play with constantly.

Just curious; Did you buy your Montblanc (whatever model you have) brand new or used?

Tom.

I'm sorry, but I can not agree to that statement, and I'm guessing many others wouldn't either. I've owned a 149 for ~30 years and I've never earned more than $23K - hardly rich - and it has been a very dependable workhorse of a pen. Tough, reliable and timeless are some of the best things I can think to say about it.

Toy, indeed......

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

I'm sorry, but I can not agree to that statement, and I'm guessing many others wouldn't either. I've owned a 149 for ~30 years and I've never earned more than $23K - hardly rich - and it has been a very dependable workhorse of a pen. Tough, reliable and timeless are some of the best things I can think to say about it.

Toy, indeed......

I'm not rich either and I own 15 MB's .... because I'm a fan and artist and (pathetically Impulsive) can appreciate them ... But generally speaking $800 - $1200 (no gold, no diamonds) for a pen... is not for your average person... I know very rich people who only write with bics & paper mates.... but trust me, and no offense .... MB is not marketing to people making less than $23k.... they'd be out of business. I've been in MB stores where people drop $70'000.00 on a watch and pen, like it was nothing. The store in NYC 57st averages over $400'000 a day in sales (good friends with X-manager)... and trust me there's thousands and thousands of rich folks spending over a 100k a year on their MB habit! Impulse doesn't skip the rich folks.... it's because of these people these pens that 20 years ago were half the price... priced so high now... they keep the wheels on the MB bus.

Bottom line, take the same exact 149 to a high end manufacture in China and that pen can be made... exactly like yours for $70-$80 and 90% of that cost is the nib. Your paying for resin and the name... But I don't begrudge MB, it's their thing.

I'm not saying only rich people can appreciate these pens like you and I have... Bentley s are a rich folks "TOY" also... doesn't mean I can't respect the craft and actually want and own one.

I'm not rich either and I own 15 MB's .... because I'm a fan and artist and (pathetically Impulsive) can appreciate them ... But generally speaking $800 - $1200 (no gold, no diamonds) for a pen... is not for your average person... I know very rich people who only write with bics & paper mates.... but trust me, and no offense .... MB is not marketing to people making less than $23k.... they'd be out of business. I've been in MB stores where people drop $70'000.00 on a watch and pen, like it was nothing. The store in NYC 57st averages over $400'000 a day in sales (good friends with X-manager)... and trust me there's thousands and thousands of rich folks spending over a 100k a year on their MB habit! Impulse doesn't skip the rich folks.... it's because of these people these pens that 20 years ago were half the price... priced so high now... they keep the wheels on the MB bus.

Bottom line, take the same exact 149 to a high end manufacture in China and that pen can be made... exactly like yours for $70-$80 and 90% of that cost is the nib. Your paying for resin and the name... But I don't begrudge MB, it's their thing.

I'm not saying only rich people can appreciate these pens like you and I have... Bentley s are a rich folks "TOY" also... doesn't mean I can't respect the craft and actually want and own one.

I was merely demonstrating that Mbs are not necessarily "a rich man's toy" - your choice of words, not mine - even if that is how they are marketed. Not everyone who buys one also buys into the marketing hoohah. When mine was new, ~30 years ago, they were sold as damned good pens and that's why I bought mine. Lived up to that rep, too. Full stop.

As a status symbol it's been a complete flop :blush: Good thing I didn't buy it for that.

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

I went to the Montblanc Boutique in Atlanta, which happened to be the grand opening of their new location. I got to see pictures of the JFK Great Character pen coming out in December. It is truly a beautiful edition.

The 3000 edition, which I have seen pictures of on a different FPN post is gorgeous but the more limited edition (1917) with the lacquered barrel that looks like white rope is simply amazing.

The nib has an engraving of the Apollo lunar module on it which is spectacular considering how much detail went into such a small engraving.

I am definitely ordering one.

How much are Montblanc services? Just a standard service? I read somewhere before they are $70...

Tom.

Just one of the things when you're dealing with "High End" products... Like when you bring your Benz in, "NOTHING" is less than $1000k fix.

But I've never had a problem with the customer service... they know my name at my local MB store.

I was merely demonstrating that Mbs are not necessarily "a rich man's toy" - your choice of words, not mine - even if that is how they are marketed. Not everyone who buys one also buys into the marketing hoohah. When mine was new, ~30 years ago, they were sold as damned good pens and that's why I bought mine. Lived up to that rep, too. Full stop.

As a status symbol it's been a complete flop :blush: Good thing I didn't buy it for that.

I guess we agree somewhere in there... but then again... Almost every Doctor - Lawyer - Banker - Professional I know wears a MB pen in their pocket like a status symbol... I'm not a collector and use my pens to death... but for most rich folks... they are a Toy - status symbol... For some reason the thought of that devalues your relationship with your pen... but it doesn't for me.

Just curious; Did you buy your Montblanc (whatever model you have) brand new or used?

Tom.

3 new and the rest second hand. Going that get that Daniel Defoe new sometime this year :)

I guess we agree somewhere in there... but then again... Almost every Doctor - Lawyer - Banker - Professional I know wears a MB pen in their pocket like a status symbol... I'm not a collector and use my pens to death... but for most rich folks... they are a Toy - status symbol... For some reason the thought of that devalues your relationship with your pen... but it doesn't for me.

Well from a doctor point that is not true. I've attended 2 international conferences and numerous local conferences and I've only ever seen ONE person have a MB pen in their pocket. And this is cardiology we're talking about, usually amongst the most showy of the medical professions.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

3 new and the rest second hand. Going that get that Daniel Defoe new sometime this year :)

Well from a doctor point that is not true. I've attended 2 international conferences and numerous local conferences and I've only ever seen ONE person have a MB pen in their pocket. And this is cardiology we're talking about, usually amongst the most showy of the medical professions.

Thats Funny!!!! Maybe the Doctors I know in Brooklyn and NYC would fit in perfect with the one showy Doc down under. It's so hard to generalize... any of these topics, specially since this truly a world wide forum where cultures collide.