FoszFay

I'm not going to comment on a company that abuses young children in their operations sector.

Probably for the best, since that would only lead into a long-drawn argument about how it is easy for someone lived a first-world life to pass judgement on how things should be in other parts of the world with different socio-economic issues - and that would be OT and also forbidden on this board.

So lets not introduce irrelevant & pointlessly provocative strawmen into the discussion, and focus on the discussion at hand.

And I never said Montblanc is soulless, but I'm certain their workers are not anywhere as proud or appreciative of what their company produces.

This is my point - you have very strong beliefs about a a company with no knowledge other than how it has positioned itself. You are also buying into the image, only it is a different image. Nothing wrong with that, either.

And we arent really disagreeing here, either.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FoszFay

• mrchan

• de_pen_dent

• HamFist

Montblanc is the big dog in high-end fountain pens. If you're interested in trying out pens above the $100 mark, then trying out a properly tuned MB makes sense (unless you're philosophically opposed to them for whatever reason).

A lot of vocal members on here have bad associations with Montblanc's branding and public perception. If that matters to you, there are plenty of competitors who make terrific pens (though MSRPs are pretty consistent among all high end pen lines).

Montblanc is the big dog in high-end fountain pens. If you're interested in trying out pens above the $100 mark, then trying out a properly tuned MB makes sense (unless you're philosophically opposed to them for whatever reason).

A lot of vocal members on here have bad associations with Montblanc's branding and public perception. If that matters to you, there are plenty of competitors who make terrific pens (though MSRPs are pretty consistent among all high end pen lines).

I agree with everything expect the last part. I think price is the main reason for MB being discussed about a lot of regarding their price compared to competitors (being higher obviously).

Tom.

I don't think it's that obvious. Other companies do offer more mid-range pens, but the high-end pens from most major fountain pen manufacturers have similar MSRPs to Montblanc. A discounted Pelikan M1000 may be cheaper than a full price 149, but they price it at $935.

I don't think it's that obvious. Other companies do offer more mid-range pens, but the high-end pens from most major fountain pen manufacturers have similar MSRPs to Montblanc. A discounted Pelikan M1000 may be cheaper than a full price 149, but they price it at $935.

Where did you get those prices? 149 from Montblanc is $1100 the last time I seen, and M1000s are not near that.

Tom.

That's MSRP. You can look at nibs.com for the price, which incidentally is exactly the same price Montblanc.com charges for a new 149.

A Legrand (146) from MB is $705, while the Pelikan M800 has an MSRP of $715.

Edited by Z-Tab

That's MSRP. You can look at nibs.com for the price, which incidentally is exactly the same price Montblanc.com charges for a new 149.

A Legrand (146) from MB is $705, while the Pelikan M800 has an MSRP of $715.

Sorry, thought you were saying the MB on nibs, read it wrong. Seen it on their (MB) website now.

Tom.

Edited by FoszFay

I hate every pen I can't afford. At least, that's what I tell myself.

On a more serious note I do think MB's are overpriced for what they are, but so are Pelikan's and all those SE's from the likes of Mont Grappa and Visconti to name but a few. They can be hugely attractive pens, but their price makes them into something else other than a pen. They become a mark of status, wealth and ostentation, and that's not really why I buy pens. MB for me personally are a little bit plain for the price level, but if you were really, really into that style of pen I can see why you would salivate over them.

Back to saying that MBs are discussed for being a higher price, which I think is true, because MSRPs are usually never what you pay. The best price I could ever find for the M800 was US$399, and the best for a 146 was US$508. Both from the same seller, and brand new.

Tom.

Ok, confession time. I'm just grumpy about MB because the F Scott Fitzgerald is probably the most beautiful pen I have ever cast my eyes upon, but unless I win the lottery, I will never own it.

My first fountain pen was a MB 147. It was a gift from my wife. That pen started me down the road collecting MBs. I like the way they write, feel, and look. I have tried several other brands of Fps and these have always compared unfavourably to my MBs. Yes, I do have a sentimental attachment to the pens, but they are also very good pens.

To answer the original question "Why Montblanc?", I buy them because I like them. I also do not find them to be overpriced. If they were they would not sell, and they do sell. Are the prices high? Sure, but only you can decide whether or not they are worth the price to you.

As to the status symbol arguments surrounding MB, why should I care why someone else buys a MB? If they want it for perceived status, where is the foul in this? Besides, I want MB to sell pens to whomever will buy them. This way they will keep producing pens and I can keep buying them.

Edited by orfew

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Okay. Most people think Montblanc is the best FP company also... But upwards of 80% of them don't know much about FPs. Just go ask random people who make good FPs, they will answer Montblanc, but I assure you more than 99% of the people you ask would have never used a Montblanc.

Also, before you said Montblancs nibs are great, you said "Actually one of the main reasons I love MB is how their nibs are just awesome, with different designs and patterns."

Sorry, but I actually buy pens with nibs that write well, even if they aren't as "awesome [looking], with different designs and patterns."

Tom.

Well for people who think MB is the best FP company, they aren't wrong either, and I DO know about FPs and I have used a wide range of pens from all different makers, italian, japanese, american, german..For me I do think MB is the best FP company at the moment. If you've seen the quality of leather that LV uses, I find it to be of exceptional quality as well despite them charging a kidney for their products.

Pelikans don't all write out of the box as well as you think. There are loads of people who complain about Pelikans NOT writing as well out of the box. For me, I've owned a few brand new and a few second hand MBs and I've never had a problem with any of the nibs, never had the baby's bottom problem either. None needed readjustment/grinding by a nibmeister. My M800 on the other hand, needed a little tweaking brand new as the flow wasn't as great and it was a little skippy..That being said, in my EDC I always have at least one MB, and perhaps sometimes my M800 does accompany me..

IMHO Pelikan is starting to be a bit of a 1 trick pony, a bit like the Audemar Piguet of the watch world, it just has one design with loads of different variations in colour for its barrel and thats about it. Thats why I don't feel that it is half as interesting as MB. Oh yes, and sometimes it comes in a smaller size as well. :/ How exciting.

I hate every pen I can't afford. At least, that's what I tell myself.

On a more serious note I do think MB's are overpriced for what they are, but so are Pelikan's and all those SE's from the likes of Mont Grappa and Visconti to name but a few. They can be hugely attractive pens, but their price makes them into something else other than a pen. They become a mark of status, wealth and ostentation, and that's not really why I buy pens. MB for me personally are a little bit plain for the price level, but if you were really, really into that style of pen I can see why you would salivate over them.

Actually it is people like you who usually start discussions on why people are dumb enough to spend their money on overpriced pens etc, people like you who start brand bashing simply because you aren't willing or are unable to pay the price for the aforementioned pens/brands. While I am not accusing you personally, it is also people like you who when you finally pony up the cash eventually to buy the pen, that you realize that it isn't always just hype and that you end up enjoying the pen enough that you stop bashing it.

Its not about being a mark of status in my POV, most people out there don't even recognise the fact that the pen I am toting to work is a MB. They just think the nib is fancy and that it is a calligraphy pen and that is why my writing is all swirly. Calligraphy isn't really considered a mark of status hey? I've only ever met one person who recognised the pen I was using is a MB, and he happened to be a fountain pen user himself..Very few pens will ever mark you as a wealthy person unless the pen is diamond studded.

Take a Pelikan Raden for example. That costs a fricking 3k+. Do you think that anybody will even come close to guessing that your pen costs anywhere close to that? Truthfully, the answer is no. Pens are very rarely a mark of status believe me.

Ps: Please give pens from brands you "hate" a try, get them cheaper on the second hand market, I think you will be pleasantly surprised and will start appreciating them a lot more.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

It is a little funny that pens might be considered a status symbol. I think people hardly notice my pens. However, when they do, they usually ask, "Is that a Montblanc?" Yep, even about my Nakayas.

I'll concede that Montblanc is perceived as a luxury product (status symbol implied), but I don't think non-pen nerds notice, and if they do, they don't care. We get into these discussions cos we love pens, we're paying attention. Civilians? Not so much.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Actually it is people like you who usually start discussions on why people are dumb enough to spend their money on overpriced pens etc, people like you who start brand bashing simply because you aren't willing or are unable to pay the price for the aforementioned pens/brands. While I am not accusing you personally, it is also people like you who when you finally pony up the cash eventually to buy the pen, that you realize that it isn't always just hype and that you end up enjoying the pen enough that you stop bashing it.

I find that addressing comments to "people like you" is rarely constructive. Also, "it is people like you" directly contradicts "I am not accusing you," making the phrase about as helpful as "no offense but." This combined with your several forays in slipping implied profanity past the forum's filters will tend to obscure any message you wish to convey.

I also find the level of vitriol called forth by discussions of Montblanc fascinating, and rather sad. Why get angry with someone who dislikes your favorite brand? Are they causing you any harm? If anything, the opposite, because the pens they're not buying are now fair game for you. The same goes for the reverse, of course -- anger at someone who likes a particular brand is equally baffling, and the harm done equally nonexistent.

Montblanc has some good qualities, causing some people to like the brand, and some bad qualities, causing some people to dislike the brand. Anyone who begins snarling and growling over either aspect really ought to take a moment to step outside, sit in a pleasant sunny or shady place, maybe look at some trees or clouds, enjoy a nice glass of iced tea, and calm the heck down.

Has anyone noticed that the folks who have, or have had, a MB talk primarily of the pen? And then the folks who don't have, or don't want, a MB talk primarily of either the brand's status or price?

I don't have one, and to date haven't been sufficiently inspired to want one, but I do find the above observation curious. This discussion doesn't sway me one way or the other, but it does make me want to try one before ever ruling it out as an option.

(Naturally, there are exceptions to this generalised observation)

I have two Montblancs: a Carrera and a 221.

The Carrera was the first fountain pen ever gifted to me (by my father). It has a steel nib and writes beautifully. I purchased the 221 from a vintage pen dealer for a reasonable price. It has a fantastic nib, writes beautifully, light weight and well balanced when posted.

Montblanc made these two pens to last me a lifetime. I see no reason for that to change for their current pens.

Why Montblanc . . . because from experience they are good. Can I afford a Montblanc . . . now that is another question which has nothing to do with "Why Montblanc?".

On a side note: Every time there is a discussion about expensive pens, I always mention this Spanish pen company http://www.kynsey.com/english/start.htm . I am not involved with this company but I do like to purchase one of their pens. They make Montblanc reasonably priced.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

Why Montblanc?

They're freaking cool.

They write great.

Their broads and wider nibs write like stubs.

They're constantly offering new models every year.

MB service is in my country. Not many foreign brands can give you a 2 week turnaround time for standards pens.

They make their own nibs. Not so many brands make their own nibs anymore.

They offer piston fillers with great capacity, not only those pesky little convertors.

You can buy them affordably second hand, and MB will service them.

As for the snob worries, people won't judge you on a pen as ubiquitous as MB, often given as gifts. So many more important parameters.

I find that addressing comments to "people like you" is rarely constructive. Also, "it is people like you" directly contradicts "I am not accusing you," making the phrase about as helpful as "no offense but." This combined with your several forays in slipping implied profanity past the forum's filters will tend to obscure any message you wish to convey.

I also find the level of vitriol called forth by discussions of Montblanc fascinating, and rather sad. Why get angry with someone who dislikes your favorite brand? Are they causing you any harm? If anything, the opposite, because the pens they're not buying are now fair game for you. The same goes for the reverse, of course -- anger at someone who likes a particular brand is equally baffling, and the harm done equally nonexistent.

Montblanc has some good qualities, causing some people to like the brand, and some bad qualities, causing some people to dislike the brand. Anyone who begins snarling and growling over either aspect really ought to take a moment to step outside, sit in a pleasant sunny or shady place, maybe look at some trees or clouds, enjoy a nice glass of iced tea, and calm the heck down.

While I did say people like him, I didn't imply that HE was saying it specifically. "No offense but" is a phrase that despite your interpretation of it, tends to be used commonly and will continued to be used in similar regard. If we can't specifically say what we want and be honest about things in a non-offensive way, should we just sugarcoat every single thing? Gets a little tiresome don't you think?

I am not angry about him disliking a brand at all I don't really care whether he likes it or not, but I am simply saying, don't hate until you've had an experience with it. Too many people pre-judge every single thing in life without truly experiencing it and then come blabbing about things they actually have no experience whatsoever about. They tend to just be filled with preconceived notions and they don't really add anything to the conversation other than making themselves sound a little..silly..and ruining the experience for others.

Why Montblanc?

They're freaking cool.

They write great.

MB service is in my country. Not many foreign brands can give you a 2 week turnaround time for standards pens.

They offer piston fillers with great capacity, not only those pesky little convertors.

As for the snob worries, people won't judge you on a pen as ubiquitous as MB, often given as gifts. So many more important parameters.

A very nice summary!

" Gladly would he learn and gladly teach" G. Chaucer

Why Montblanc?

They're freaking cool.

They write great.

I second every single thing here. The way they come up with new designs all the time and especially, MOST ESPECIALLY, NEW NIB DESIGNS just clinches it for me. While I would probably never end up splurging for something costing around 3k and above for fountain pens (that money is reserved for watches ;P ), anything below that I consider fair game. I think a new Writer's Edition every year is justified :D