The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Something That Happened To Me Today...

parker duofold onoto enthusiast conference

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MiniMaupassant

MiniMaupassant

MiniMaupassant

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:47

Something fun happened to me today...

I was at a conference in Manchester on the state of the housing sector in the region. I was there providing live tweeting, to keep the conversation for posterity. I had with me a Leuchturm jotbook, an Onoto Magna Classic and my iPhone.

At the end of the session, the gentleman behind me said "Snap!" and showed me his pen. It was very similar to mine, but the logo on the cap was different. I asked him what his pen was and he told me it was a Parker Duofold. It was a beautiful pen and very similar in size and shape to my Onoto. It even had the chasing on the body, although a different pattern to my Onoto.

We then had a conversation about fountain pens, rather than the supply of new housing...

@leoniethomas18

Sponsored Content

#2 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:51

Good for you. Always nice to meet a like-minded fountain pen person and talk about pens. Yet, it happens infrequently to me, maybe a handful of times in the four years I've been using FPs.

#3 MiniMaupassant

MiniMaupassant

MiniMaupassant

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 13:03

Good for you. Always nice to meet a like-minded fountain pen person and talk about pens. Yet, it happens infrequently to me, maybe a handful of times in the four years I've been using FPs.

There seems to be a disproportionately high number of FP users in the construction industry in the UK, in my experience. In any single office or organisation, a good 10% will be FP users. I put this down to being because FPs are design/engineering-led instruments, which will obviously appeal to many of the people who work in the sector. I'm glad about this; I'm never on my own, but I'm often the most geeky about them!

@leoniethomas18

#4 TMK

TMK

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 13:16

yes, I agree with doggonecarl. Always lovely to meet a fellow pen addict.

#5 SCF

SCF

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 15:31

It's good to know that there are other FP enthusiasts in the North!  

I haven't had much contact with the construction industry, and that's a very interesting observation about the popularity of fountain pens with them.  I wonder if part of it is the need to be able to produce clear hand-written documents.  That's certainly why I use fountain pens - sadly my handwriting will never be as beautiful as some of the people who post here, but at least with a "proper" pen someone else can read it.

Steven

#6 Floreat

Floreat

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 15:52

That is fab MiniMaupassant :) I'd love to bump into another FP geek "in the wild". I'd probably get overexcited though and scare them away!
UK-based pen fan. I love beautiful ink bottles, sealing wax, scented inks, and sending mail art. Also, thanks to a wonderful custom-ground nib by forum member Bardiir, I'm currently attempting calligraphy after years of not being able to do so due to having an odd pen-grip :D

#7 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2014 - 18:07

It is always good know that there is a person who shares the same hobby than you

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#8 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 22:27

Holy miracle ¡¡¡¡¡

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker duofold, onoto, enthusiast, conference

Sponsored Content

|