The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Safari For Lefties

lamy lefties

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 william2001

william2001

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:19

Today, I ordered a Pilot Metropolitan from Amazon.

Then, I saw a Lamy Safari in the "Costumers Also Bought..." section.

I heard about the Safari many times, so I assumed that it was a good pen.

However, when I looked at the review, someone said that the grip is uncomfortable for left-handed users.

Is it true? and do you recommend it for left-handed users (the ink has to dry quickly (really depends on the ink))?

Thank you in advance,

William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Sponsored Content

#2 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:54

to me it's just fine but I would'nt write Italic print with them due to the grip... but then I sold it but I have a Lamy Logo which was my first Lamy pen ever... well I did have a Lamy safari BP when I was small but I lost it... but when I start writing with Italics I go from top of the writing line pushing the nib... so I decided to grind a 1.5 Italic to a right oblique just to lessen the hand strain...

Edited by Algester, 22 September 2014 - 04:56.

#3 FountainPenCowgirl

FountainPenCowgirl

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 22:18

I have multiple Safaris and Al-Stars. No problem, once I got acquainted with the grip (which happened quickly). I'm an underwriter, by the way, though I don't know grip would affect that.

Lamys are my workhorses, largely because they feel good in my hand. Acknowledging the grip is polarizing here.

I have two Lamys with a normal grip as well, both of which are favorites: a Studio and a CP1.

Edited by FountainPenCowgirl, 22 September 2014 - 22:26.

#4 stacybean

stacybean

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 23:00

I am left handed and use a Lamy Al-Star which is an aluminum version of the Safari. I have no problems with the grip.

#5 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:24

I am also left-handed and hva no problems with the Safari or the Al-Star. On the contrary, I find the grip really comfortable. .

#6 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,883 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:32

The Safari's are Marmite pens. Either you love them or hate them. I'm not not a fan of them. There is a lot of beaming praise for them on the internet so I would suggest you watch this review as it looks more at the negatives of the pen which maybe useful.

#7 gammada

gammada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:39

Also, Lamy sells an LH nib that supposedly caters to us lefties, thou, I really didn't felt a difference between it and the ordinary M nib.

#8 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:19

Also, Lamy sells an LH nib that supposedly caters to us lefties, thou, I really didn't felt a difference between it and the ordinary M nib.

I have 4 of ther LH nibs and fine them slightly smoother and wetter, not much different but noticeable.

#9 gammada

gammada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:19

I have 4 of ther LH nibs and fine them slightly smoother and wetter, not much different but noticeable.

Wetter perhaps, smoother, well let me tell you that all the nibs I own (EF, F, M, B, and LH) kind of skate effortlessly on paper! The only possible exception to this is the EF nib which I haven't used extensively. I simply love them!

#10 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:34

Wetter perhaps, smoother, well let me tell you that all the nibs I own (EF, F, M, B, and LH) kind of skate effortlessly on paper! The only possible exception to this is the EF nib which I haven't used extensively. I simply love them!

I agree they're wet and smooth and I also love them. I do find the LH nib even wetter than the M.

#11 gammada

gammada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 13:23

I agree they're wet and smooth and I also love them. I do find the LH nib even wetter than the M.

Btw If you want to achieve an extra level of wetness on any Safari/ Vista/ Al-Star pen fitted with a converter, just turn the knob so as to flood the feed with ink. In the Vista and Al-Stars you can actually see the ink flooding the feed on the translucent section. On the Safari, you'll have to wait until a small drop pours out the feed.

Done this several times when I need more emphasis on whatever it is that am writing, it works wonders!

Have you noticed any difference between the black and chrome nibs in terms of wetness?

#12 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,243 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 14:32

Today, I ordered a Pilot Metropolitan from Amazon.
Then, I saw a Lamy Safari in the "Costumers Also Bought..." section.
I heard about the Safari many times, so I assumed that it was a good pen.
However, when I looked at the review, someone said that the grip is uncomfortable for left-handed users.
Is it true? and do you recommend it for left-handed users (the ink has to dry quickly (really depends on the ink))?
Thank you in advance,
William S. Park

Not true for me! I get the LE Safari every year, and I also have a few 'common' colors, and three Al-Stars. The grip takes getting used to for anyone, but once you start writing, it begins to feel completely natural.

Nice, sturdy pens in lots of colors and nib types. Highly recommended.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, lefties

Sponsored Content

|