Rohrer & Klingner - 18 Inks

visvamitra

rk  

282 members have voted

1. 1. And the winner is

They must have changed the formulation on the Leipziger Schwarz because in this review and others they see a bluish tint but I recently bought one and the tint is greenish-gray instead. I have only read one other review just before I bought the ink that says it looks like a black-green ink. Anyway, it's becoming one of my favorite inks. It flows really well and appears to make my already smooth Pilot Metro even smoother. And it cleans very easily too.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• lgsoltek

• amberleadavis

• Tas

Hey everyone -- Sorry to resurrect a pretty old thread, and I apologize for my newb-ness, but I wonder if someone can answer a question for me:

How does one accomplish a review like this? Certainly the OP doesn't have 18 identical pens he can ink up with different inks, right? Does one ink up a pen, draw the sample, then flush the pen, let it dry, ink with another color, write the sample, and so on? With drying time, I think I review like this would take days! And even if you didn't dry the pen, it would seem like a review like this would take hours to put together. Or did the OP just dip? But then how can you know how the ink really performs coming out of the pen?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Perdendosi

Hey everyone -- Sorry to resurrect a pretty old thread, and I apologize for my newb-ness, but I wonder if someone can answer a question for me:

How does one accomplish a review like this? Certainly the OP doesn't have 18 identical pens he can ink up with different inks, right? Does one ink up a pen, draw the sample, then flush the pen, let it dry, ink with another color, write the sample, and so on? With drying time, I think I review like this would take days! And even if you didn't dry the pen, it would seem like a review like this would take hours to put together. Or did the OP just dip? But then how can you know how the ink really performs coming out of the pen?

Thanks in advance!

With a lot of patience.

Yes it takes days, sometimes weeks... and I am sure the 52 Kobe inks took Vis months..

On top of patience, you need passion, caring, incredible work ethics and a good fan base to provide samples of the inks you don't have. ;)

Vis is one of the BEST and very prolific at this task. :D :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

@Cyber6 - thank you for kind words.

@Perdendosi - I hope that this threads doesn't grow old - at least as long as the inks are still produced. They were made to exchange opinions, sympathies and antipathies :) I always enjoy when someone resurrects my old comparisons. I'll try to answer your question :)

First of all I'm systematic person. When I do something I do it everyday. Period. Because of this I don't feel as spending a lot of times creating reviews (it takes me maybe 10-15 minutes a day to write them). The most time consumming part is scanning and posting. I usually do it on sundays and then post .jpg files to imageshack (recently FPN uploader) and post them during the week. Because I do it every day it sums up. The comparison in question was done during two weeks if I recall well. The system I apply is to start with line of inks and to review every single one. While doing so I start comparison systematically adding next colors. Day by day and it all sums up :)

I used to have six PIlot 78G's with broad nib while I was using them to make reviews so in case of this comparison and few others it was quick. Basically for reviews I use pens that are easy to flush and clean: Pilot 78G with broad italic in the past, Kaweco Classic Sport now. When I use given ink in otgher pen I usually scan at least few sentences written with it and add to "old"review.

All in all it IS time consumming but by dividing the work into small portions every day one doesn't feel the burden :)

Best,

Lukas

Edited by visvamitra

Wow, Lukas. That's quite a process! Thanks so much for contributing very significant hours to this community! It's very valuable (particularly for newbies like me)!

@Cyber6 - thank you for kind words.

@Perdendosi - I hope that this threads doesn't grow old - at least as long as the inks are still produced. They were made to exchange opinions, sympathies and antipathies :) I always enjoy when someone resurrects my old comparisons. I'll try to answer your question :)

First of all I'm systematic person. When I do something I do it everyday. Period. Because of this I don't feel as spending a lot of times creating reviews (it takes me maybe 10-15 minutes a day to write them). The most time consumming part is scanning and posting. I usually do it on sundays and then post .jpg files to imageshack (recently FPN uploader) and post them during the week. Because I do it every day it sums up. The comparison in question was done during two weeks if I recall well. The system I apply is to start with line of inks and to review every single one. While doing so I start comparison systematically adding next colors. Day by day and it all sums up :)

I used to have six PIlot 78G's with broad nib while I was using them to make reviews so in case of this comparison and few others it was quick. Basically for reviews I use pens that are easy to flush and clean: Pilot 78G with broad italic in the past, Kaweco Classic Sport now. When I use given ink in otgher pen I usually scan at least few sentences written with it and add to "old"review.

All in all it IS time consumming but by dividing the work into small portions every day one doesn't feel the burden :)

Best,

Lukas

• 1 month later...

Lukas,

I am fairly new to FPN and am still finding new threads every day. There's a very appealing deal on Massdrop.com for R&K inks right now, so I came to FPN to get thoughts--that led me to your review and I am blown away by how thorough and helpful it is. Needless to say, thank you!

As far as what's on my list, I recently got a bottle of Alt-Goldgrun and love it, so I'm going to add Solferino, Salix, and Verdigris.

Najeeb

Najeeb

• 2 months later...

Dear Lukas,

This is the most comprehensive ink review I have ever read. Fantastic.

I am going to buy every single R&K ink you have reviewed. I had never heard of such a brand until now. I will have a lovely collection to play with for many years to come. I will also start drawing pictures for my 2 year old daughter. Hopefully, she will get into fountain pens too one day.

Michael

• 3 months later...

I see Fernambuk gets short shrift on the poll. I'd encourage the adventurous to get it and Helianthus, as they mix to a beautiful range of orange colors (notably missing from the lineup). 1:1 is close to Fuyu Gaki, but 2:1 or 1:2 may be more to your taste.

http://i.imgur.com/80PVWLk.jpg

Nood Mix is a dump of some orange experiments. Mostly Apache + Habanero and a Yellow + Shah's Rose attempt. Some Sheaffer Red in there as well.

I see Fernambuk gets short shrift on the poll. I'd encourage the adventurous to get it and Helianthus, as they mix to a beautiful range of orange colors (notably missing from the lineup). 1:1 is close to Fuyu Gaki, but 2:1 or 1:2 may be more to your taste.

http://i.imgur.com/80PVWLk.jpg

Nood Mix is a dump of some orange experiments. Mostly Apache + Habanero and a Yellow + Shah's Rose attempt. Some Sheaffer Red in there as well.

Very nice!

I see Fernambuk gets short shrift on the poll. I'd encourage the adventurous to get it and Helianthus, as they mix to a beautiful range of orange colors (notably missing from the lineup).

+1

A little Alt-Goldrün can add some extra interest. I've found a 4:3:1 mix of Helianthus, Fernambuk, and Alt-Goldrün makes a burnt orange that suits me very well.

• 1 month later...

I tried Alt-Goldgrun, and had to have it. I love it. Then I also had another sample sent to me recently, Cassia. I love it too. I think I would use Cassia more often, but for something special, I like the Alt-Goldgrun. These are the only two I've tried so far. You gave an excellent review, and comparisons too.

• 3 months later...

Whew, incredible review, just got my first R&K ink, Morinda, for me, it's much darker and shady in person, an ideal xmas themed ink

Originally, I was aiming for Alt-Goldgrun, but, another time :)

Don't buy Pelikans ... Life is too short for a non-perfect Fountain Pen - Pelikan M600 Ruby Red - M1005 Demonstrator - M205 Demonstrator (Blue + Highlighter) - M 200 Demonstrator - Lamy CP1,Al Star's

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of work you put into your reviews, Vis! Your brand summaries (like today) offer an incredible amount of useful knowledge for the ink geeks among us...and are really appreciated.

Some of our old timers (I include my raggedy old self) on the forum will remember Greg Clark who put together a spiral notebook with all his ink reviews and (unbelievably) would apply ink swabs to every book, as well as list all the properties, physical and chemical, of each ink. He would update it about every year or two. I can't remember what he sold them for...but they were a hot commodity.

I mention this because I think you could consider doing the same thing and making some money on the side to fuel your pen/ink habit. You might not have the time, given your other responsibilities, but perhaps you could get (Cyber6) to help you. Just a thought.

I should mention that Greg quit putting out the ink review manuals because he was overwhelmed by his own success as well as the frequent revisions that were necessary. Perhaps, instead of revisions, you could institute a subscription service to update the manual.

If you think I have ulterior motives...you're correct. I miss having Greg's manual at hand.

Mary

ETA...I doubt I'm the first member to suggest this.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Recently I looked for some burgundy ink and R&K Alt-Bordeaux seemed like a good choice for a good price. I also added Verdigris to the order mostly to justify the shipping cost.

Alt-Bordeaux is pretty much what I expected and what I wanted. A purple-red, sort of "red wine" color.

Verdigris is interesting. I expected a blue black, but to me it seems more like a very dark green which turns blueish as it dries. Reminds me somewhat of the Parker Quink Blue-Black but it's much darker. I like it.

I'm tempted to try more of those inks, especially the iron-galls (Salix and Scabiosa) and Leipziger-Schwarz.

Edited by WJM

Do it! They’re fabulous. Sepia has depths you won’t see in the swatches. I’m never out of Verdigris if I can help it.