The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Which Gold Stub Nibbed Pen Would You Choose?

stub 14k gold 14k

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BladeandStone

BladeandStone

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:04

Greetings:

Longtime reader, first-time poster. Thank you to all for making this a robust community of information and passion! Happy to be on the inside... 

I'm looking for recommendations for a Gold Stubbed pen. Not vintage; current manufacture. If possible, a narrower stub like something closer to a 1.1 stub in Lamy steel. 

I'm using a Pilot Prera Calligraphy Medium (CM) now, but need a pen with more weight, smoother nib (hence gold), and just bigger. The prera is seriously miniature.

Would like to keep it under $300, but if something is a "must-have" then please shout it out. There's no counting pennies this far down the rabbit hole. :)

Be well,

Ben 

Sponsored Content

#2 FoszFay

FoszFay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:20

Hey Ben,

First off, I wouldn't say you need a gold nib for smoothness. I have steel nibs that I have adjusted myself, that are smoother than many gold nibs. That being said, I think that gold nibs, especially 18k, offer a 'cushiony' feel when writing, which I like.

If I were you, with that budget, I would look for a nice gold-nibbed pen you like, with say a B or BB, and have it custom ground to a Stub or Cusive Italic. This would probably give you the best result.

Tom.

Edited by FoszFay, 19 September 2014 - 06:22.

#3 ArtsNibs

ArtsNibs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:57

I would by any pen of your choice in <B> or <BB> and send it to a nibmeister for modification. Chances are you'd have to do this anyway with a factory stub to get it writing to your liking. Mike-it-Work would be my first choice.
@arts_nibs

#4 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:55

Gold or steel, both can be beautifully smooth. After all, neither metal actually touches the paper - it's the tipping material, a hard alloy containing things like tungsten, ruthenium, iridium, osmium ( http://www.nibs.com/article4.html ) that touches the paper.

Tine alignment and the tipping's grind are far more responsible for the sensation of smoothness than the material the nib is made from.

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

#5 ArtsNibs

ArtsNibs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,056 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:25

Gold or steel, both can be beautifully smooth. After all, neither metal actually touches the paper - it's the tipping material, a hard alloy containing things like tungsten, ruthenium, iridium, osmium ( http://www.nibs.com/article4.html ) that touches the paper.

Tine alignment and the tipping's grind are far more responsible for the sensation of smoothness than the material the nib is made from.

That is the truth, a-pen brotha. I wonder if company's use the same tipping material on their gold pens than on their steel ones..? In any case, I have many very cheap steel pens that have no tipping at all, and the steel is just as smooth as a $1,000 Montblanc. It's all in the grind.
@arts_nibs

#6 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:14

:W2FPN:

Hi,

I certainly support other Members' suggestion to purchase the pen you want, then have a stock Western B - BB modified to the desired shape and set-up for the wetness you prefer; and that hand-tuned steel nibs can be very good indeed. I have a 1.0 Stub ground from a Pelikan M200 g-p steel BB from the well regarded Mr Binder, which is in the OooLaLa category.

Keeping within your criteria of a new, full size, gold Stub nib pen with some heft, <USD300, kindly consider the Waterman Carene. One of my Carenes is fitted with the factory stock Stub, which is a lovely writer. The Carene has proven to be highly reliable, and is a favourite for long haul writing. I also have a Parker Sonnet with a gold factory stock Stub, which is wonderful, but I prefer that of the Carene - perhaps the Carene's inset nib makes it just that bit more firm than the open nib of the Sonnet, so I find it easier to keep such a wide shaped nib running evenly on the sweet spot (?)

As good as factory stock Stubs can be, you may still choose to have them hand ground to achieve a higher ratio of down-stroke to cross-stroke line width, and a more clearly defined sweet spot.

I'm not so sure the Japanese B nibs would give the 1.1mm down-stroke line width you desire. However, some Sailor pens can be had with gold two-tine Music (MS) nibs, which I reckon could be modified to a 1.1 Stub. I have a 1911M with an MS nib, which would likely be too small and low mass, so a larger model might be up your street.

As ever, we are spoiled for choice. :)

Bye,

S1

__ __

See also: 'What pen has the best Stub nib you've ever used?' http://www.fountainp...used/?p=3109584

Edited by Sandy1, 19 September 2014 - 12:48.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#7 View from the Loft

View from the Loft

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,332 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:40

If you are going down the route of a brand new pen, then yes, buy a B or BB nib and have it custom ground.  However, I wouldn't rule out vintage pens.  I have some wonderful stub nibs on vintage Conway Stewart and Parker pens.

#8 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 14:02

Have two Conklin stub nibs and an Aurora stub that are pretty decent . Pelikan also makes a pretty decent stub. Would choose a pen based on how reliable and sturdy I felt the pen was. So, yes, pick your favorite pen, get a wide nib, and send it off to a nibmeister.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stub, 14k gold, 14k

Sponsored Content

|