The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Private Reserve Sepia

private reserve sepia ink ink review

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 23:11

I mentioned in my last ink review that I am looking for a nice ink that comes in standard international carts and this is another contender in that quest.  I love the color, but I’m not super excited about some of the other behavior here.

fpn_1411081824__tumblr_inline_nc4d10r6l9

This is one of those colors that is so strange and ugly that it’s beautiful, likeDiamine Salamander.  It shades like crazy, which is really fun.  I also didn’t notice any troubles with bleeding or feathering even on cheaper papers, so that’s always a nice change.  I also think that this color better embodies the label “sepia” than some others I’ve seen, since I see sepia as being a golden brown vs a chocolate brown.

fpn_1411081856__tumblr_inline_nc4d3yn7at

What kills me about this ink is that it has zero water resistance and it seemed to be pretty dry, even in the normally wet medium nib on my Vac 700.  I’ve also heard that it is not the easiest ink to clean out of a pen, but since I still have it inked up I can’t comment on that yet.

Overall, I would recommend this ink based on the color, but probably only in wetter pens to combat the low flow.  And if you want something waterproof, you’ll need to keep looking.  Like all PR inks it runs pretty cheap, at ~$11/66 mL here in the States or a bit less than fifty cents a cart, so the price is very good for a conventional ink.

If I do ever get that Al-Sport (the whole reason I’m looking for nice cartridges) you can bet I’ll keep a couple of these carts around.  :-)

This ink was purchased with my own money and I am not being compensated in any way for this review.  All opinions expressed above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Sponsored Content

#2 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 23:32

I'm curious to know if the color changes after you've had the bottle a few months. Both reds and browns in PR "rusted" to different colors in the past. I also noticed their browns feeling dry.

#3 playtime

playtime

Flexible

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 00:27

try Diamine Sepia.

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived.  I have three, but hardly ever use them.  After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 00:30

Thanks! I'd been hesitating

#5 swanjun

swanjun

(Not really a lamb.)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 00:47

I really like the color/shading of this, so I keep trying it in different pens to find the right one.  On my second sample vial now.

#6 tinysnail

tinysnail

math & pens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:21

Shame about the behaviour, since "ugly," swampy, weird inks are exactly up my alley :)

#7 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:50

Thank you for doing the review. 

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: private reserve, sepia, ink, ink review

Sponsored Content

|