The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Fs Fitzgerald Golden Twenties Orange - Organics Studio

organics studio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 19:45

I must admit I'm surprised. I've just done some serious googling and haven't found any review of Organics Studio's FS Fitzgerald ink. Why? It's wonderful, vintage looking orange, one of nicest and pen-friendly oranges I know. OK - the swabs seen in web shops doesn't look exciting but reality is much more interesting than them. I would say it's my 4th favourite orange ink. Maybe third - maybe I'll give it Toucan Orange;s third place in my ranking.

I hope my review will be helpful. If you like orange inks you may as well take a look at my comparison of 32 orange inks.

Take a look:

INK SPLASH

gXNO6X.jpg

DROPS OF INK ON KITCHEN TOWEL

4ehMUG.jpg

CHROMATOGRAPHY

t1zwe6.jpg

SOFTWARE IDENTIFICATION / COLOR RANGE

cXiWJk.jpg

COLOR RANGE (gradient tool in PS)

CxOuaT.jpg

The name of the ink is inspired by work of well-known writer F. Scott Fitzgerald. Here's one quotastion from his work.

(Hero 5028 1,9 stub on copy paper)

sED4Gu.jpg

uTuoZL.jpg

MwF3wY.jpg

Ovs8fy.jpg

Jinhao 599 on Oxford paper

JghFse.jpg

tVufii.jpg

Haolilai 908 in calendar

z6p59D.jpg

UuPXGj.jpg

DRY TIME

UYqRid.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 20:22

Thank you for your excellent review.  Love the shading!  Looks like a very nice orange ink; I have several on my wish list, including Apache Sunset, but hadn't considered this one until I saw your review.  As you mentioned, the swabs shown on websites don't seem to do the ink justice.  Compare what you show here to the rather lackluster color showing on the  ink swab on Goulet Pens' site:

IS-OS-031.jpg

One of the reasons I haven't 'sprung' for an orange ink as yet is because I didn't really want to deal with one of my pens developing the 'nib crud,' which is associated with some orange inks, such as Ancient Copper and Apache Sunset.  Not that everyone using orange inks has experienced the dreaded 'crud' on their pens, or that wiping it off the nib and feed is that much of a hassle, but still.....  Did you notice any of this with the Golden Twenties Orange?

Holly

Edited by OakIris, 17 September 2014 - 20:39.

#3 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 20:36

No - this ink is really pen-friendly, well mannered and has good properties.

#4 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 20:40

No - this ink is really pen-friendly, well mannered and has good properties.

Excellent!  Thank you for the info, visvamitra.  

Holly

#5 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:40

Nice to hear it is a well behaved orange.

I had consigned myself to using orange only with my dip pens.  Which I may do anyway, but this gives me the option to put it into a fountain pen if I want to.

BTW, Holly, did you get the nibs?  Or did the USPS manage to crunch it?

Edited by ac12, 18 September 2014 - 02:40.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#6 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:50

Sadly it's truth that many orange inks are not really well-mannered. However I can recommend dew that are fountain pen friendly - Iroshizuku Yu-Yake / Fuyu - Syogun, Diamine - Autumn Oak, Organics Studio - FS Fitzgerald, Sailor - Apricot.

I have really bad experience with Private Reserve oranges: Orange Crush and Shoreline Gold - they caused problems in every single pen I've tried. Diamine Orange is stunning in terms of colors but it crystallizes on nibs and the feed. If you don't flush the pen often the ink can react with the feed. I've seen the feed that was literally eaten by the ink :) So we should choose inks wisely - especially when we use vintage pens.

#7 Morbus Curiositas

Morbus Curiositas

Inkoholic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 13:40

Great review Visamitr...

Although not a great fan of flashy colours.... I must say this looks beautiful....

Well and as A Dutchman I must have irange ink of course.

Any Idea where to buy it in Europe.... What country us the brand from anyway ?

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism  :) 

#8 OakIris

OakIris

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 19:16

Off Topic:

BTW, Holly, did you get the nibs?  Or did the USPS manage to crunch it?

I am so sorry!   :blush: I thought I had sent you a PM, but I checked and I didn't.  I did receive them; I look forward to trying them out, especially the stub.  Perhaps I will get that letter off to you finally, but, of course, don't hold your breath!

Back on topic:

Sadly it's truth that many orange inks are not really well-mannered. However I can recommend dew that are fountain pen friendly - Iroshizuku Yu-Yake / Fuyu - Syogun, Diamine - Autumn Oak, Organics Studio - FS Fitzgerald, Sailor - Apricot.

I have really bad experience with Private Reserve oranges: Orange Crush and Shoreline Gold - they caused problems in every single pen I've tried. Diamine Orange is stunning in terms of colors but it crystallizes on nibs and the feed. If you don't flush the pen often the ink can react with the feed. I've seen the feed that was literally eaten by the ink :) So we should choose inks wisely - especially when we use vintage pens.

Some vendors will not honor their warranties if you use what they call "boutique inks" such as Private Reserve and Noodlers in the pens you buy from them.  I really like Diamine and PR inks - had no idea that the Diamine Orange could be so deadly!   :yikes: - but I no longer use them, or Noodlers inks, in my vintage pens;  I have had no problems with the inks from these brands that I have tried, but better safe than sorry.  

Nice to hear that there are some well behaved orange inks; I need to read your 32 orange inks review more thoroughly.   :)

Holly

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: organics studio

Sponsored Content

|