The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Carene As A Gift; Opinion Please

waterman carene fountain pen gift

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 18:55

There is a gentleman in our industry association council that will be retiring after 30 years and thought it would be nice to get him a fountain pen as a going away gift.  I got the other team members approval on selecting a fountain pen all except one person who thought we should give him a ballpoint pen that doubles as an iPhone charger :o

I've decided that the Carene is the most elegant at the price point (about $200-300) we need to keep it at $20 each contribution.  The gentleman is from Spain and I was thinking of getting the Glossy Red Carene for him, as the Flag of Spain is predominantly red and yellow.  What do you all think?  Opinions welcome :)

CARENE-FP-ROUGE-S-R-01.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Sponsored Content

#2 TMK

TMK

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 19:22

wonderful idea! I'm sure the gentleman will love it. Good luck with the gift!

#3 FedericoMedina

FedericoMedina

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

That sounds like a lovely gesture. The waterman Carene is a very nice pen as well.

Somehow I think a black would be more suitable. But you kind of have to know the person to know what kind of bold colors they like IMO.

#4 TMK

TMK

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,063 posts

BTW, what's up with the ballpoint...?!

#5 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 19:25

I think this is a lovely idea! Just a word of note - I have the glossy red Carene, and I've noticed that it has a little bit of pink cast to it - it appears closer to fuchsia than true red.

#6 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 19:52

Good choice. It's more of a lipstick color than the matte red, but still a gorgeous pen & more original than boring black.

#7 Force

Force

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 20:39

Yes, yes, yes....and my next project colour.

#8 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 20:44

Can't you get some sort of Sheaffer Valor for that sort of price as Sheaffer's inlaid nibs are nicer. 

#9 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 20:50

Awesome, thanks everyone!  Sounds like red it is :)  I'm actually glad the color is a bit brighter, this way he'll remember us.  I might even throw in a bottle of Herbin 1670 Red or MB Hitchcock.

And as some of you know, I am quite taken by the Carenes and Edsons; I actually showed a few members of the council my Carene and they thought it was a beautiful pen, so it will be a Waterman Carene Medium nib.

Edited by stevesurf, 16 September 2014 - 20:54.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

#10 Force

Force

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,481 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 20:56

Can't you get some sort of Sheaffer Valor for that sort of price as Sheaffer's inlaid nibs are nicer. 

:o

fpn_1410900933__broad.jpg

#11 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 21:16

:o

fpn_1410900933__broad.jpg

Yup that's it; now if only the red was more plentiful in broad ;)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

#12 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,215 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2014 - 23:36

Valor is more expensive AFAIK and out of production although stocks may last in some shops. Valor is a much lighter pen.

I tried one and found it way too light. Those Sheaffer inlaid nibs ARE very nice, but the average Carene nib is smooth as butter on hot glass. Love the stubs!!!

The point is, is this person a fountain pen man?  Would be a shame if a 200 odd gift will be tossed in a drawer.

They are available in BP and RB, alas not in MP. Personally I shudder at the thought of RB, but hey, it's a gift someone should actually enjoy.

Colour: the red is not my favourite, but I am partial against red. (Is an eye/colour vision thing...)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#13 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 00:49

It's a good point, but I know that he does a good deal of writing, so even if it is an introduction to fountain pens, it will be a special one as it is from an association he has been with for 30+ years.  Yes, it is a risk, as is the color, but I do know he is very proud of his Spanish heritage and red just might make it special.  I was also going to have it wrapped in the flag colors, red and yellow.

We could go with the "standard" ballpoint or rollerball gift, but I already spoke with five members and they loved the idea.  Only one person suggested the ballpoint because of the charging idea.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

#14 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 13,106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:29

Does the gentleman use a fountain pen?  Are you just giving him something you like, or have you considered what he likes?

Having recently more or less retired, I have little further use for pens and will no doubt get rid of most of them.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#15 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 21:01

Does the gentleman use a fountain pen?  Are you just giving him something you like, or have you considered what he likes?

Having recently more or less retired, I have little further use for pens and will no doubt get rid of most of them.

...and I am sure there are just as many that want to catch up on writing and corresponding that may have taken a back seat in daily work routines.

In the end it is a simple unique remembrance.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

#16 FedericoMedina

FedericoMedina

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2014 - 21:04

bottom line you always need a pen :D and they make wonderful gifts.

#17 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:53

bottom line you always need a pen :D and they make wonderful gifts.

Thanks very much Federico!  I know it is a very personal item; something is telling me that a pen and a congratulatory card signed by everyone just might make his day :)

Edited by stevesurf, 18 September 2014 - 03:54.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

#18 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 13,106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2014 - 20:59

When I retired the first time, my colleagues gave me a hand made wood clock and a Sharper Image Weather Station with RF sensors for outside temp and humidity. 

As pen enthusiasts we tend to think of giving pens all the time.  I have often restrained myself from this after coming to learn that pens I gave many years ago, Montblancs and Parker sets, were never used and just put away.  So, while you might always need a pen, for most people a Bic works best for them, and the pen gift is fondly remembered when the recipient comes across it when searching through a drawer.  So now I try to empathasize with a person I am giving something to and think of what will be used often, and not what my hobbies might lead me to buy.  I use the clock and weather station every day.   

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#19 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:02

When I retired the first time, my colleagues gave me a hand made wood clock and a Sharper Image Weather Station with RF sensors for outside temp and humidity. 

As pen enthusiasts we tend to think of giving pens all the time.  I have often restrained myself from this after coming to learn that pens I gave many years ago, Montblancs and Parker sets, were never used and just put away.  So, while you might always need a pen, for most people a Bic works best for them, and the pen gift is fondly remembered when the recipient comes across it when searching through a drawer.  So now I try to empathasize with a person I am giving something to and think of what will be used often, and not what my hobbies might lead me to buy.  I use the clock and weather station every day.   

Opinion noted and appreciated!  I feel good about the decision to give the pen, because his friends and my peers are in agreement.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

#20 Force

Force

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,481 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:31

From an early age we clock watch. Everything we do runs to a schedule, get up, go to school/work, morning break, lunch, afternoon break, dinner, to bed...all to the clock.

At retirement I think I would like to be free of clock watching. In fact giving clocks or watches at retirement here in the UK is a thing of the past. Bird baths and gardening impliments are popular.

Pens not only write but can be used to draw, sketch, feel and even stir ones tea. They may not be used every day or week but they are there when needed.

In my last employ the company boss retired (June this year & 2 months before I resigned) and because he had been good to me over many years service I sneaked a personal gift, a Carene Marine Amber BP, into his case on his last day. He called me the following day saying he was most pleased and somewhat touched by it and that it would be on his home desk and used not just put away.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman carene, fountain pen gift

Sponsored Content

|