Quo Vadis V Tomoe River

Izzywizzy

Hi Everyone

I am a lover of the Tomoe River paper as many of you are, but wanted to explore other similar types of paper.

I have heard a lot about Quo Vadis, but never used it, partly due to UK availability, although I have noticed it on Amazon recently

Could you please share your experiences to date of Quo Vadis and how it compares to Tomoe River?

Is there a clear winner for overall FP use? I am thinking the drying times might be a little quicker on the Quo Vadis paper?

Your thoughts are most welcome!

Thanks

Izzy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tritonus

• edorsky

• yogalarva

• Izzywizzy

Hi there,

I love both papers and have been using them for various things.

I have been using Quo Vadis ABP1 Diaries for the last two years and absolutely love the paper. It has texture to it unlike Rhodia pads or Clairfontaine which is too smooth for my liking. However I did notice a tiny difference in quality from this year's diary compared to last - this year, I found that some inks tend to spread ever so slightly making the nib width appear wider, especially with very wet pens and saturated, wet inks. Tomoe River Paper on the other hand, has a slightly tighter line in comparison but seems to react differently with different inks. I find some colours pop out like crazy on Tomoe River Paper such as J.Herbin's 1670 Anniversary Red or Iroshizuku Yama-budo where the sheen comes to the fore like never before (my 1670 is the old formula and I could not recognise the colour of this ink on this paper as the gold sheen made it appear rust-like). Others such as Pelikan Blue-Black appears washed out on it. I use Tomoe River Paper mainly for letters and messages for special occasions. The ink dries faster on the Quo Vadis.

I have not tried Quo Vadis notebooks and cannot say if the paper is the same - I assume it is!

Regards,

Ron

Edited by Tritonus

I was using a Quo Vadis TextAgenda planner (it's a page per day format) with ~60 lb paper in it and to me it seemed very similar to TR. Thin but no bleeding or feathering. Show through was present, but an paper that thin will have some. I also liked that this paper was bright white vs the softer white of TR, but that's just a personal preference. I have no idea if any of their other notebooks use this type of paper, but Quo Vadis overall uses Clairefontaine paper so I would expect it to all be of good quality.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

cannot say if the paper is the same - I assume it is!

Don't assume! lol. I've had this trip me up once, so now I'm warning everyone :P I once bought the planner, loved the paper, assumed the notebooks would be the same (especially since all were inserts for a 'system' type notebook), and forked over the money for the entire system...only to find out that the notebooks had completely different paper, that also REALLY didn't line up with what I look for in a paper.

So. No more assuming! Now I try to get a sample from the actual product I'll be using :-)

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

Don't assume! lol. I've had this trip me up once, so now I'm warning everyone :P I once bought the planner, loved the paper, assumed the notebooks would be the same (especially since all were inserts for a 'system' type notebook), and forked over the money for the entire system...only to find out that the notebooks had completely different paper, that also REALLY didn't line up with what I look for in a paper.

So. No more assuming! Now I try to get a sample from the actual product I'll be using :-)

Thanks for clarifying that - that's really disappointing! Can you tell us what was wrong with the Notebooks? Did they bleed/feather etc? I liked my Quo Vadis diary so much I nearly ended up buying the notebooks but the cost prevented me from buying them (they don't sell them here in Australia). I was intending to buy one of their notebooks with my next order of inks from USA but I might just stick to my Tomoe River Paper instead ;)