• amcityink

• minddance

• Anirban4u

• StaT

I want dry nib because I'm a lefty.

I don't want too much ink on my hand.

-William S. Park

Edited by william2001

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Wet enough to write with minimal friction.

But not so wet that I have to wait a long while for the ink to dry before I turn the page.

However all this also varies based on what else I am doing.

Some pens I like WET, and I don't mind that it takes a while to dry.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Wonderfully wet. :thumbup:

Yes!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I'm still pretty new to FPs, but I think I much prefer wet nibs. I like seeing wet ink on the page. Sometimes if I get the lighting just right at my desk, I have this exquisite experience of seeing the nib sparkling in the light, leaving behind it a trail of glistening ink. If it's flowing well, I won't even feel the nib on the page, so the only evidence I have of the contact is the widening line of light reflected back at me, started at the flashing nib and trailing behind in the words that the nib leaves behind.

With a dry pen you feel the contact more, and the ink doesn't glisten. The ink looks lighter and the color is less interesting. Also, when my favorite but crankiest pen starts writing dry, that means it's about to refuse to write entirely, which is a sign I need to give it a good shake. So dry writing has become ingrained in my mind as a sign of incipient trouble.

Wet feels so much better and leaves a deeply-coloured line. But takes time to dry, can bleed through even on good paper, and no use on cheap paper because of feathering, so my crossword/shopping list pen in the kitchen is a drier writer!

For work or lists/notes at home I like my ink to dry quickly and pen to write fine. I like to re-write my lectures every semester, so I take a lot of notes. (I also deliver my lectures, maintain open office hours, and grade all my own papers, but this isn't about how lazy many of my university colleges are.)

For letters, cards, and journaling I like to use a nice flexy wet nib and ink combo. It makes life more interesting when we throw off the shackles and live on the wild side.

Owner of many fine Parker fountain pens... and one Lamy.

I like wet nibs, but as a college student, I feel like smooth, drier nibs are the most feasible for notes.

Yeah... wish I was into FP's back in College... but you must blast through ink. Then again, I'm surprised anybody uses a pen in college these days, with ipads and laptops.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I like:

• Finer nibs to write wet
  • Broader nibs to write dry (I like the non-toothy feedback)
  • Mediums to be in the middle, not too wet nor too dry
  • Stubs and Italics to write wet

I know what feeling of feedback I prefer so I try to achieve that as best I can with various sizes.

I use wet and/or lubricated inks like Sailor Jentle inks, Noodler's Black Eel, Heart of Darkness, or Aurora Black (or similar inks) for Finer nibs or difficult Mediums.

I use drier inks like Noodler's Walnut, sometimes Kiwa-Guro, Diamine Eclipse, R&K Scabiosa with my Broads and Smoother Mediums.

With my 1.1 Jowo's or other similar stubs I use Sailor Jentles, especially Miruai.

• 2 weeks later...

Wet, I love the feeling of smoothing writing, as if you are gliding on paper. Too wet might be a problem but I still prefer it to dry

It's really interesting on how people have different tastes when it comes to how the ink leaves the nib.

I grabbed a buddies Visconti and started writing with it and it was dry - a bit scratchy (for my taste), he grabbed my MB and thought it was way to wet... which it's not,it's just perfect. I Iike to feel smoothness as the ink leaves the pen.. I also like to see the ink dry. Why have a FP write like a ballpoint?

Some FP come set up to write wet or tight I noticed... Visconte's come dry, and you need to adjust the feed to get more flow or flow to your taste.

I guess everyone has their own style and taste. Which do you prefer?

In my experience, and also looking at many reviews online, Visconti's nibs are usually exceptionally wet...

Only wet and wetter from now on because I have too many dry pens. My papers can take alot more ink than my pens are willing to mete out. I have some very undersaturated Diamine and Iroshizuku inks that I want them only in the wettest of pens.

Wet or dry? YES! It depends on the pen, but in general, medium-wet. I do have some dry nibs for notes in my Bible and such.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)