Montblanc 146 Vs Pelikan M800

dezzick3

It is interesting to see how different the experiences have been. My 146 with a broad nib is much broader than both my M800 with broad nibs. The nib in my 146 is definitely a nail, much firmer than any of my M800. Out of the box all my 8 M800 wrote perfectly and the 146 skips like crazy, certainly not what I would expect for the price paid.

Then there is the weight and construction, I like the weight of the M800 better because it just sits on my hand and I don't need to exert any pressure to write, the M800 just feels more solid. The weight of the 146 is comparable to the M600. The construction of the 146 is not on the same level either, in my opinion, no matter how tight you close the cap it has a horrible wiggle (I've seen other people mentioning it).

All in all, both good pens, but I'll take the M800 over the 146 in a heartbeat.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• RMN

• FP4ever

• dneal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just read this entire thread. Does that qualify me for a medal?

I see references to one pen being smoother than the other or one pen being wetter than the other. In my experience, it is so easy to adjust the smoothness and the wetness of fountain pens that such comparisons are not important.

I've seen people compare kitchen knives and say "X is sharper than Y". But give me a few minutes with Y, and you'll agree it's just a sharp as X.

Another way to say this is that smoothness and wetness are not inherent in the make and model of the pen. They are the result of the tuning of that particular pen. If you prefer the design of pen X but prefer the wetness of pen Y, buy the pen with the preferred design. Then tune it to your desired wetness.

Regards,

Alan

No medal, but perhaps I can arrange a straitjacket?..... :D

You are right, tuning does a lot.

And always remember that for many persons here they have samples of 1 to compare....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I currently own an early 80's 146 (medium nib) and an M805 Stresemann (fine Nib). Now I'll weigh in on my thoughts. Both are attractive pens. I've got to say that the Stresseman is a more attractive pen. The rhodium plating and anthracite gray are just so classy and a step above good old fashioned black with gold trim. The weight on the Pelikan is also better with the brass piston inside. My 146 also has the wiggly cap whereas the Pelikan secures tightly.

Let's talk Nibs and overall writing quality. The 146 is a much better looking nib than the Pelikan's. My 146 is springy and the Pelikan feels like a nail. Even though the Pelikan has a fine nib, it lays down a thicker line than my medium 146. The 146 just performs so much better than my M805. If I was planning on doing a lot of writing and it was between the two, I'd grab the 146.

This is just my opinion on these two pens. I love both of them. I'm glad to own both. They both have their pros and cons.

The construction of the 146 is not on the same level either, in my opinion, no matter how tight you close the cap it has a horrible wiggle (I've seen other people mentioning it).

My 146 had "cap wiggle" for about the first year. Now it screws on very snug. Don't know if it needed a break in period or if I just screwed it on a bit more tightly once and that fixed the problem.

I have and use both.

I like both.

I couldn't agree more. Very concise but definitively conclusive comment.

My 146 had "cap wiggle" for about the first year. Now it screws on very snug. Don't know if it needed a break in period or if I just screwed it on a bit more tightly once and that fixed the problem.

That's good to know, thanks. I hope that with time it will improve, because if I screw it any tighter I'll break the thing.

• 2 weeks later...