Montblanc 146 Vs Pelikan M800

dezzick3

Nice comparison of two iconic pens.

Being lucky enough to own both, I find myself reaching for the Pelikan more often. Especially the m805. I love the look, feel and dependability of the m800 and m805. Don't get me wrong, the MB 146 is a great FP. I just prefer Pelikan.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."-Jim Valvano

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."-Ronald Reagan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• RMN

• FP4ever

• dneal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hallo

I have both MB146 and MB149 and enjoy both, but I used to own a Pelikan M800 and didn't like it. I sold it off and replaced it with an M600 and that was fine so it looks as if my problem was with length rather than weight

Chaim

Chaim Seymour

David Elazar 8

Givat Shemuel

Israel

Have both and prefer the 146 in terms of writing and appearance. The 146 is my favorite MB writer of the several MBs I have including the 149.

j1020

For my hands, the 146 is perfect. So perfect I bought myself two :)

I also have the M800 and whilst it is also a great pen, it is just on the thick side for me.

Another pen that I do like is the Aurora 88 modern version - even though the barrel is as thick as the M800, the section is much longer and narrower which allows my fingers to hold it comfortably.

I only own the M800.... Dream of a pen, Levely looking smooth Nib.

The green Stresemann Stripes are claasic and distinctive.

The MB is obviously an excellent pen. But it is nothing original. I believe Sailor and some other brands have a classic looking cigar shape pen... At better prices.... So I must say that a classical cigar shaped large Fountain Pen is on my to buy list.

But it will be a Sailor then. Wide nib choice large black cigar shaped FP.... So sort of the same with an excellent reputation.....

That white star, by far is not enough to justify the high price... But well that's personal

Since I absolutely love my M800 I can imagine that some Pelikans will follow too

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

I have both and I like both. The m800 has an advantage in that it is easier to service (since the nib unit can be easily unscrewed for lubrication of the piston) and I think the section is a bit more comfortable with the slight flare at the end. But both have a classic look and a good weight.

M800 any day, much bigger

the 149 is the MB to compare it to, and that would be a toss up depending on how many pens you plan to hoarde

But the 149 is bigger than the M800, I think if you want to compare the 149 than you will have to put it against the M 1000

if you want to get a MB Limited Edition some day, they mostly are 146s and the frills make it worth it

• 2 weeks later...

Liking the look of the Montblanc 146 out of the two. The sizing seems like it would better for me and I prefer the pen design. I do like the look of the Mozart Petite design that I've found here as well. Are these much better for writers like me who have hands on the small side or should I stick to the normal sizing?

I only own the M800.... Dream of a pen, Levely looking smooth Nib.

The green Stresemann Stripes are claasic and distinctive.

Since I absolutely love my M800 I can imagine that some Pelikans will follow too

I too started with a green M800, now also have a red one :)

But, the MB 146 is also very comfortable to write with.

Diderot

Real Madrid Vs Barcelona

Manchester United Vs Liverpool

Los Angeles Lakers Vs Boston Celtics

It is very difficult to chose between this two flagship pens.

Alfredo

any comparison with the pilot 823?

Given that it is a high capacity self filler with great nibs for half the price, it is hard to look past the 823. I don't have a m800 or 146 to compare but the 823 is one heck of a pen with great nibs.

823 is a great pen. The nib has considerably more flex than my m800. Size is comparable to both pens. Ink volume is considerably more. A pleasure to write with.

Regarding the Pilot Custom 823, I wholeheartedly agree with the two previous posters. Even though I am not even very fond of the design, in particular the ball on the end of the clip, I own two of them, the clear demonstrator and the smoke version. It is that good, especially when you bear in mind how much cheaper it is compared to its two German competitors.

Edited by LuisAAbrilRomero

• 1 month later...

Love the look of the 146. Had the opportunity to use my friend's 146 over the summer while visiting him in Vienna. Great pen and it wrote smoothly. When the time came to purchase either the 146 or M800, I went with the M800. The M800 just feels solid, writes like a dream, and I LOVE that it can be cleaned more easily that the Montblanc.

And, I'm sure in the near future, I will pick up both the 146 and the Pilot Custom 823. For now, I'm off to enjoy the smooth awesomness of the M800 medium...

b

With handwriting like that, I'd advise to change hobbies to typewriter collecting, instead.

My handwriting can suck as well, and even in its best form it still sucks, but geez dude, can't you atleast fake it for us with a few more drafts?

Thank for the observations and review tho. I was appreciated. Hope you take the criticism in good spirit.

Edited by transcend

With handwriting like that, stick to typewriter collecting in stead.

:huh: No need to insult people's handwriting.

I have both and I prefer the M800, but they are both excellent pens.

Edited by Suji

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v