Do You Carry On A Daily Basis?

TXKat

Are you packin?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. How many fountain pens do you carry with you each day?

• 0-1 I don't like to show off.
    • 2-3 I like different colors....blue, blue-black and black.
    • 4+ Hey, who borrowed my pen??
    • I have a small mobile 'desk' I drag around just in case.
    • Fountain pens are great weapons and my choice for self-defense.
    • I need ink!
    • I don't need no stinkin' fountain pen.....well, not ALL the time...
  2. 2. Do you only use fountain pens at home/office/school or do you have one with you most of the time?

• Only home/work/school.
    • Always have one in my pocket/purse...or within reach.
  3. 3. Do you have a supply of ink with you for that pen??

I just picked up a Kaweco AL Sport and have been tossing that in my pocket everyday. It's really a great little pocket pen. Before the I didn't carry any u less I ad my bag with me. When going to work I always have my Filson briefcase bag with a 3-pen case inside. At least one spot will typically be taken up with my Tibolt ballpoint (because its fun to play with the bolt action!) with the other two being fountain pens usually, some combination of my TWSBI mini, Pelikan M215, Edison Beaumont, and Pilot Metropolitan.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• Tom Traubert

• SujiCorp12345

• TXKat

I really depends on what I am doing.

- If I carry a messenger bag or briefcase, I will have a few pens in there.

- If not, I carry a Ohto Tasche in my pocket.

Currently, I ink my pens at home, and periodically check them for ink level, so I do not expect to run out of ink during the day, thus do not carry ink. In college I used to carry a spare cartridge, because I did not use a convert, and I did not "top off" cartridges, I just used them till they ran out. So they would run out during the day.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I almost always have three pens with me. One cheap workhorse that I'm not afraid to use in situations that would be self-conscious to pull out that Parker 51 vac. This pen is usually a Lamy Safari and is by itself in my backpack. Then, I have a Franklin-Christoph leather two-pen case. Inside is one workhorse (Lamy 2000, Pilot Vanishing Point, or Parker 51) and one vintage (lately, I've been partial to my Oversize Sheaffer Balance). I get three have different inks with me, though most tend to be green or black. Once I'm at work, I carry one pen in my pocket all day. It goes back in the pen case for cycling to and from work. (Too much risk while cycling.)

I generally carry three pens with me, and occasionally a pencil. One of the pens is always filled with a random colour of my choosing, whether it's green, brown, orange, etc. and that's usually the nicest pen I carry with me; another is always filled with a red or reddish brown, and I use that one mostly for editing papers or making notes that stand out, and finally I have a loaner/back up pen that's usually filled with a blue, black, or blue-black. I usually carry them in my shirt pockets or jacket pockets, but in the summer sometimes I find myself carrying only two pens because I can't be bothered to wear anything other than jeans or shorts. In that case, it's usually the random colour and the loaner pen.

The only time I have an ink source on me is when I buy a new bottle of ink, and if I forget to take it out of my bag. Otherwise, with three pens, I don't see myself running out of ink.

Today it has been a big fat goose egg so far.

Most days one to three in a shirt pocket.

To work most days, my whole collection - all 14-15 of them go with him. (I won't leave a pen at work - I don't have an office and I am not quite that trusting-plus I might want to use it.) There was a time when I kept both Raven Black and Cobalt Blue in my desk.....but I could lock it up. I can't at this job. (those were the only inks I had at the time)

One day this past week, either on my lunch hour or a break, I had as many as 7 in either a shirt or a pants pocket. Used probably 2-3 at most. I just didn't know which ones I wanted to use.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

As far as numbers go, I tend to have one with me all the time, typically clipped into my buttonhole. At work, that'll be a black ink, typically in my Pilot VP, because we are mandated to use black for all signatures. I also have a Parker 51 that's always filled with red (right now, Noodler's Nikita) for marking up drawings, and typically a Safari as well, usually full of something colourful for notes that I am not doing formally. Right now, it's a Safari full of Asa-gao. I also have a Touchdown-filler Sheaffer desk pen that I keep full of Noodler's Black, just for signing drawings at my desk, and a Preppy full of BSB, for notes to blow a co-worker's eyes. :lol:

When I get home or on the weekends, that pen swaps out for pretty much anything, in any of the colours I have. Right now it's a TWSBI 580Al (Pendleton) with Noodler's Gruene Cactus.

Absolutely always: beater pen with Noodler's Heart of Darkness (usually a profoundly tweaked and surgery-fied Zebra F-301 fine nib)

Usually two more inexpensive pens with whimsical inks (refilled Varsity, Hero 360, Pilot Petit 1) : Black Swan in Australian Roses, Lamy Turquoise, PR Avacado

Usually carry about 5, just for colour variety on my school notes.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I generally carry two fountain pens in my shirt pocket: one vintage and one modern. The modern pen is very reliable in case the vintage pen (that I restored myself) has a problem or runs out of ink.

Two pens, sometimes one, never carry more. In my planner/calendar/journal in a Franklin-Covey zipper binder, I carry a Zebra V301 inked with Noodler's Black. It always starts and writes a fine crisp line. The pen in my shirt pocket will vary depending on the day of the week. Weekdays I'll carry a Pilot Metrolitan, or a Lamy Safari or an Ahab with Goulet F nib. Sundays will see a Parker 51 or Scheaffer with inlaid nib or something similar. The shirt pocket pens are usually inked with a variety of inks and colors depending on my mood that weekend. In my family I am known, and expected, to always have a pen. I never carry ink.

“If you believe yourself unfortunate because you have loved and lost, perish the thought. One who has loved truly, can never lose entirely.” ~Napoleon Hill

I carry two FPs with me. One for documents which is almost always loaded with a Blue Black IG ink, and if not that, then with Montblanc Permanent Blue. The second pen is loaded with a color other than Blue/Black.

On the road, I tend to keep things simple.

Edited by RudyR

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I nearly always have 3 pens inked up, but normally only carry one with me. I need to take a bottle of ink to work, as I have had my carry pen run dry on a couple of occasions.

Going to work, it's 3 nicer pens in a case, and 1-3 cheap pens in a briefcase pocket. There's typically a fine nib with red ink for editing, a conservative color for notes and documents I might be distributing, a fun color for creative work, and some spares in case I run out of ink.

Short trips out of the house call for a less expensive Pilot or Platinum Preppy shoved in a pocket.

Long trips, I add a backup pen.

I'm in the Air Force and daily carry:

Sleeve:

Lamy Safari (BBM black)

Platinum Plaisir (BSB blue)

Leg:

Pilot G2 Limited (black)

Throwaway pen (super cheap freebie for coworkers)

Edited by JordanN

Having four fountain pens inked, and carrying two with me at any given time is typical. Plus a mechanical pencil. And a ballpoint in case somebody wants to borrow a pen and I feel like being helpful.

I don't carry spare cartridges or ink bottles around in my pockets, but if I'm away from home for several days, they will be in my luggage.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Well, I wouldn't call it obsession ... obsession is such a harsh word ... :rolleyes:

I started with carrying just one fp to work ... soon I figured out how to stack 3 in the pen case ... with a little adjustment: hey, 5 babies can fit in! Brilliant! For Christmas my man got me a pen pouch. It holds 5 pens and was supposed to replace the old pen case. It did ... for a few days. Then I decided 10 pens are better than 5 ... so 10 it was. By now I've found a way to carry 6 in the old pen case and 7 in the new pen pouch, so 13 in total. :D Different colors and nib sizes, some with washable ink, others with water resistant or bulletproof ink. I find it makes the job a bit more fun, especially the boring bureaucratic parts. Oh and by now I have 4 ink bottles on my desk at work.

Hmmm .... maybe calling it a obsession isn't that far off! B)

In my daily knock around bag I have a pen roll with two F nib VP; a yellow one inked with blue-black and a red one inked with... Sheaffer Skrip red (but what were you expecting?). The same said pen roll includes a mp and a bp/rb (depending on which sort of refill is in it. Plus in my pant pocket a Fisher space pen.

On business days generally a pen case from the rotation, containing a fp, mp, and bp or rb.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

Two Omas Ogivas, one inked with MB Irish Green and the other with Herbin Perle Noire.Of course a French made Parker Vacumatic Maxima inked in MB Bordeaux

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I have a case that holds 12 pens, filled with a choice selection, which goes a lot of places. Otherwise, there's always a Safari, or Preppy, in a cargo pocket/bag.