Do You Carry On A Daily Basis?

TXKat

Are you packin?  

298 members have voted

1. 1. How many fountain pens do you carry with you each day?

• 0-1 I don't like to show off.
    • 2-3 I like different colors....blue, blue-black and black.
    • 4+ Hey, who borrowed my pen??
    • I have a small mobile 'desk' I drag around just in case.
    • Fountain pens are great weapons and my choice for self-defense.
    • I need ink!
    • I don't need no stinkin' fountain pen.....well, not ALL the time...
  2. 2. Do you only use fountain pens at home/office/school or do you have one with you most of the time?

• Only home/work/school.
    • Always have one in my pocket/purse...or within reach.
  3. 3. Do you have a supply of ink with you for that pen??

Okay, so I'm trying to figure out if others are as obsessed as I am with their fountain pens.

My dad only owns one fountain pen, but he's had it for years...it's a Montblanc of some sort and his "new" son will probably inherit it when my dad passes, but that's another '(bleep)' for another time.

Please answer the poll and let's see how obsessive we REALLY are.

Actually, I am secretly collecting data for blackmail and the results will be reported back to your shrink! :P Edited by TXKat

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• Tom Traubert

• SujiCorp12345

• Baric

i carry my MB149, in diamine royal blue for note taking and signatures my MB146,in diamine oxblood for edits and markup and a pencil for proofread and such

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I often carry way more than 4 inked pens. My justification (ie, rationalization . . .) is that it's handy to have different colors of ink and different nib sizes for the note-taking, grading, and copyediting that I find myself doing. I also have a cluster of pens that stay in my office at work--what they have in common is that they don't dry out if not used regularly; also, several are filled with water-resistent ink of one kind or another. The upside of carrying so many pens is that I can keep most of my ink at home--if I write a pen out, there's always one to step in. The downside is that I can end up with too many choices for my own good. When I'm not at work or carrying work with me, I generally don't have any fountain pens on me at all--that's when I take one or two ballpoints.

I keep 4 inked up but only generally carry one with me when I go out. I'm taking some evening classes, so sometimes when I think a pen is almost empty I'll take a spare so I can keep taking notes if the primary runs out. However, before I retired, I typically took 2-3 with me to work and left a bottle of ink at work.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed. When I drive a car, I always have my keys. That doesn't make me obsessed with keys. When I have to write with something, why settle for anything less than a fountain pen? I don't have to, so I don't, whether I'm at home or office or the grocery store or camping in the redwoods. If I always carried some other kind of pen, but it was just any old pen, whatever was handy when I picked it up off a table, no one would say I was obsessed with nondescript crummy pens.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I keep one in my pocket always, sometimes two, if I'm getting ready to sell one (test drive after I tinkered with it). I keep a couple with different colors at home and also at work, and keep black and red ink in my desk at work.

I carry and use about 2-3 pens with me.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

I carry exactly 4 pens to work. One in my shirt pocket, and a 3-pen case in my bag. The actual pens may vary, but never the number. At home, I don't carry a pen around, they are right there on my desk and and on my nightstand. When I go out, if I don't have a shirt pocket, I'll probably just stick a pen in an Aston leather sleeve and stick it in my pants pocket. I don't have any ink at work (other than in BP's an d RB's in the cup on my desk), but I do carry a small ink cartridge tin in my bag, just in case one of my cartridge pens run out. My piston fillers hold more ink and have never run out at work, I fill them at home when they get low. I might consider a bottle of ink at work if I ever settle on a particular color, but that hasn't happened yet.

I carry exactly 4 pens to work. One in my shirt pocket, and a 3-pen case in my bag. The actual pens may vary, but never the number. At home, I don't carry a pen around, they are right there on my desk and and on my nightstand. When I go out, if I don't have a shirt pocket, I'll probably just stick a pen in an Aston leather sleeve and stick it in my pants pocket. I don't have any ink at work (other than in BP's an d RB's in the cup on my desk), but I do carry a small ink cartridge tin in my bag, just in case one of my cartridge pens run out. My piston fillers hold more ink and have never run out at work, I fill them at home when they get low. I might consider a bottle of ink at work if I ever settle on a particular color, but that hasn't happened yet.

Nice system... Im similar. There's always a blue, a black, a red, and either a turquoise or green. The black is a Lamy and I'll have a box of spare cartridges in my bag particularly as I travel a lot for work, but the others get filled with different inks at home.

Favourite Owned Pen - Lamy Studio, Brushed Steel with either a 1.1mm italic or Black F nib

Favourite Inks - Diamine Imperial Purple, Diamine Sargasso Sea, Noodlers Bad Blue Heron, Sheaffer Skrip Red

"Planned" (!) Purchases - TWSBI Diamond 580 AL, Waterman Expert Deluxe Blue, Esterbrook J, Sheaffer Prelude, Pilot Capless / Vanishing Point, Pilot Falcon

Heh. I'm about to return to work following a surgery that (temporarily, I hope) requires scaling back big time on the "stuff" I carry with me. Serious reduction in poundage is essential. The biggest source of anxiety this weekend: which of my pens will go with me?

I'm FountainPenCowgirl. I have a pen problem...

Edited by FountainPenCowgirl

i remember getting stabbed by nibs when i was younger. for whatever reason, i had few dip pen with nibs pointing up in a cup. sometimes, i would reach for something above that cup and slip and stab my hand with nibs. not sure why they were so sharp. since sometime earlier this yr, i have taken new interest in fountain pens, and have handful inked at home. i always carry Kaweco AL Sport in my pocket and sometimes, change that out with Classic Sport. Parker 51, and Arrow stays home along with Lamy Safari and few TWSBI. i'm slowly looking into vintage pens and japanese pens.

Generally 4 fps with me. I have a four pens pen case, I do a lot of writing outside, and as I teach I often have a bag with my stuff on it, and the pens. One writer, one withnred ink, one backup, one with a finer nib.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Good thread.

I should scale back. I take way more to work than I need.

I'm going to pare it down to:

One red (not 3...)

One green (I actually had four different greens on the go at one point, which is frankly stupid)

One blue/black, green/black or black

One blue (which will always be my Vac 700 with BSB - I can't get into any other blues)

One wildcard - whatever else I fancy taking with me

So, on Monday, my first rotation will be:

Pelikan Souveran M600 with Edelstein Ruby

Platinum Plaisir with J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage

Cross Apogee with Diamine Quartz Black

See above

TWSBI Diamond Mini with Cult Pens Deep Dark Orange

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

7+ during the school year, 2-3 at other times. I've just recently started carrying some black carts just in case, I've only found myself out of (appropriate) ink once, but it could have been a lot worse.

3 every day... for many years, change pens every two weeks. This week, MB 139, Conklin Endura, Ford (English) never got out of ink yet...

If I'm just walking out the door with my own persons, ie: no backpack, bag, camera bag, etc. I'll usually have 1 to 2 pens on me, usually my Pilot Petit1 and typically the Kaweco AL Sport. If my shirt has pockets, I may substitute the AL Sport for one of my resin/plastic pens like the Pelikan M250 or a Sheaffer Snorkel.

If I am carrying a bag with me be it my camera bag or backpack, I'll usually have the one or two sample vials needed to refill one of the pens (I keep all the inks that I currently have my pens inked with, in a sample vial in a small zip loc bag).

I always have one in my pencil pouch in my bag but I don't always pull it out to use it. I have to seated somewhere I don't have to move abruptly from and I won't use it when I'm with other people. I prefer to keep my hobby private. I love my M800 but I didn't realize just how flashy it was until I brought it to school. I'd rather be known for my work ethic and intelligence than as that person showing off with the expensive pens.

My pens have huge ink capacity so I see no need to have extra ink with me. If I run out I'll just use a pencil. I don't want to be stressed about a suboptimal environment when I fill a pen.

I always have one pen filled with work ink and another with fun ink.

I typically only carry one pen now that it seems I only ever need just one pen. Said pen I carry about changes often, but it varies from my Dialog 3, 75 cisélé, and two 51's. All of which have broad/stub nibs. If the D3/75 is with me, I usually have an odd spare Lamy cartridge floating around as a 'just in case' thing.

All said and done though, at the end of the day, it pays to have a non-fp backup like a pencil. I usually have a Snorkel Valiant pencil tucked into a Rhodia webbie in a back pocket.

Calculating.

I'm a grad student so other than home and school (my other home), I'm not sure what else there is...

... Beyond that, I carry two inked FPs with me everywhere. A Noodler's Nib Creaper with a #2 Wahl Oxford 14K nib inked with Eclat de Saphir and a Lamy Safari F with Diamine Blaze orange for a contrasting color to my notes. I also always have a pencil with me, but I'll keep those details for pencilforums.net :D