Pen Noob With Many Questions And A "help Me Choose..."

sirgilbert357

This is going to be LONG, but please bear with me!

New to the forum here and while I've always loved pens and just writing instruments in general, I've literally just had my mind blown in the last two days or so with all the options out there for *truly* fine writing instruments...anyways, here is what led me to you guys:

OK, go easy on me, I'm a pen noob and use a lowly stainless steel Parker Jotter for work...which may change now that I'm browsing this forum...

Anyway, I noticed the click action of my Jotter getting really sloppy and sluggish, so I disassemble it to see what's going on. The entire top part of the refill is literally coated in ink. Not the writing end, but the part with the notches for the clicking mechanism. I promptly trashed the refill and wrapped the pen body in paper towels and sealed it in a ziploc bag for the ride home...I posted this in a watch forum that I am a heavy user of (in their "Pens" subforum) and someone said to use rubbing alcohol to clean this up. Didn't have any, so I used my wife's nail polish remover (hey, what do I know, says it has acetone in it, so I figure it should work, lol). Pen came out clean after a bit of swishing around in a tupperware container of this stuff, which is ironic because I had already ordered another Parker Jotter. I guess I didn't really expect the first one to be salvageable. So, meh, I'll have two now...

Anyway, this little "event" set off a search for pens on Parker's website to see the current crop of Jotters and ended with me staring in awe at the Sonnet in Black Lacquer with gold plated trim. Now these aren't that expensive, but I assume they are well made. I liked it a lot, but I fear it may be too thick. My Jotter is the upper limit of thickness for me and to be honest, I really love the dimensions of my vintage Cross Century more. Its just so sleek and easy to handle, plus its not too heavy or big in a shirt breast pocket. Anyway, I started thinking if only the Sonnet weren't so thick I'd snap that up! Which led me to search Waterman, Pelikan, Conklin, and Shaeffer for similar alternatives. What I found is bittersweet: The Waterman Hemisphere looks amazing in rollerball, but I just highly doubt I'd be OK with a fine nib on a rollerball. I like bold lines and have a 1.0 medium ballpoint refill in my Jotter and last night just bought a gel ink refill for my Jotter and am LOVING it. But, again, its bolder at .7mm and quite dark. If you're still with me you're probably like "Get to the effin point man!" and I don't blame you, so here it is...

I love the Waterman Hemisphere's looks. I'm concerned that the lack of a medium rollerball refill will make me regret the purchase.

Q: Are there medium nib rollerball refills made by others that fit this pen?

Q: Where can I try these in person in Dallas, TX?

Q: How will the black lacquer hold up in day to day use in an office setting? What about the gold plated hardware? Will posting the cap eventually leave marks on the pen's finish?

Q: The cap is not screwdown, so will it eventually become loose?

Q: Anyone know the dimensions? Can't find them online, but the Hemisphere looks slimmer than the Sonnet for sure, which I prefer.

On the Parker Sonnet, I'm not digging the looks of the rollerball as much as I am the ballpoint, AND, I've just discovered I love Parker's gel ink refill for the Jotter -- and that refill fits the Sonnet in BP. If the above Hemisphere doesn't work out, then a Parker Sonnet in BP would be fine despite me originally wanting a rollerball for this next pen, so...

Q: Again, how is the quality of the lacquer finish and gold trim? I feel like Waterman is a step above Parker, but what do you guys say?

Any other options for black lacquer/gold trim in a slimmer style in RB for under 80 bucks I should consider? And I know, I know...I'll get a fountain pen next, LOL.

Thanks for any and all opinions/help/guidance you guys have to offer...

Edited by sirgilbert357

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Algester

• ac12

• tonybelding

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about your questions but... if the BPs and RBs are proprietary there isnt much you can't do retro fitting would mean your going to destroy your pen especially if it's a click type mechanism but if it's a just a "holder" in this case then perhaps that can work I don't have any waterman distributor in my country to actually know this...

next none screwable caps AKA snap caps it really depends on the materials used if they are of top quality then they will last people with Lamy 2Ks can attest to this or pretty much almost all of Lamy pens

next Laquer finish you don't have to worry about the gold trim that's good as solid unless if it was rose-gold, but the laquer finish will grow a patina as much as you use it so that will be up to you

cap posting is really up to you do you prefer the weight and feel of the pen posted or not some pens will leave dings and marks when posted some will not it just pretty much lies on the design like if it really has a posting point like the one found on the TWSBI mini and Faber-Castell Ambition

Edited by Algester

Two immediate things come to mind...

First, the Dallas Pen Show is coming up on the 26-27th at the Doubletree Hotel Dallas (near the Galleria). If you can make that, I'm sure you'll love it, and learn far more (or at least more quickly) than from any replies you'll get here.

Second, have you tried any fountain pens yet? Rollerballs are... well, they're OK. But you can do better.

Thanks, Algester. Guess the refill question will require a lot of research on my part. And on the lacquer developing a patina or "wabi" as it is sometimes called with watches, can it be re-finished to bring back that lustrious gloss? Or once it shows wear, is it just going to be how it is from then on?

Oh and a late comer to this little comparison is the Cross Century Classic in RB; black lacquer finish, but chrome hardware, which is a bummer. But, it has screwed cap for tip and posting, which I thought was cool and it comes in medium rollerball refill (but is listed as gel ink? I thought RB and Gel were different?). Anyone have any input there? I wish there was an older version of this exact Cross, but in gold hardware...hmmm

Just wanted to say:

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry I cannot help, but I know nothing about BPs and RBs.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png
Hey! I'm Skylar! I am quite new to all of this, but am a very friendly person :3
If you wanna exchange snail-mail, my 'about me' in on page 51 on the snail mail list, and if you like what you see - pm me!

Two immediate things come to mind...

First, the Dallas Pen Show is coming up on the 26-27th at the Doubletree Hotel Dallas (near the Galleria). If you can make that, I'm sure you'll love it, and learn far more (or at least more quickly) than from any replies you'll get here.

Second, have you tried any fountain pens yet? Rollerballs are... well, they're OK. But you can do better.

Oh sweet! Didn't know about the Pen Show...doubt I'd be able to make that though. I'd be basically telling my wife to watch our 1 yr old and 3 yr old by herself for several hours, lol. She'd be bored out of her mind coming with me too, so that's probably not going to happen for me...Hmmm, I'll try to see if there's any way I can make it though.

As far as the FP, well, yes. I've got a Parker Vector in FP (I know, its a half a hair above a disposable) and I like it OK, but this pen I want to buy would be for work. I would be using it to jot quick notes and write on invoices and the like. I am exploring the vastly larger and more complicated world of FP's as we speak...I've only just taken an interest to them in the last 48 hours. I am like a newborn in that regard, so I'll wait a bit before I pull the trigger on something like that. I'm the type of guy who has to research heavily before buying something, especially as the price increases. My hope is to have a small collection of one each: BP, RB and FP. I have my vintage Cross Century for the BP. I'd like this next one to be RB (or Gel ink if I go for the Parker Sonnet in BP) and then I'll wait until I feel confident that I can make an informed decision on a FP. I'm pretty sure that will be awhile...

Just wanted to say:

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry I cannot help, but I know nothing about BPs and RBs.

Thanks! And now I'm curious about this Letter Exchange/Snail Mail thing, LOL. I'll have to check that out...no one really seems to write letters any more these days...

A laquer finish can be damaged, and you should expect to chip the finish over time. My wife's pen has a chip that she constantly complains about. So if you want to minimize the damage, you have to protect the pen, like keep it in a sleeve or case when not used. And handle it with care when you do use it. Some people have gotten away without damage to their pen, others like my wife, as good as they care for their pen, it gets chipped. Murphey in action.

- My personal favorite for a pen finish that will take some abuse is a brushed stainless steel finish (called a flighter). Although that stainless steel finish is a little too industrial for some folks.

- A flat black finish is easier to maintain, it won't show chips as easily as a glossy laquer finish.

As for the Waterman. You are not stuck with just Waterman refills. There are other companies making refills that fit various pens. You just have to go look for them.

The Cross Classic Century is a THIN pen, just a bit larger in diameter than a #2 pencil. Many people complain that they cannot use a pen that thin. So get a pencil and use it for a while, like you would a roller ball or fountain pen, to see how your hand likes the size. For the fountain pen, there is no ink converter for the Classic Century, it is cartridge fill only.

About the old "original" Cross Century. They have a roller ball pen (called a select tip), but you need to be VERY careful. Cross made a change to the pen, and the refills that are available today, do NOT fit the early model. If you get the early model pen, you are STUCK, with a pen without a refill. And I do not recall a glossy black finish, there is a flat black (have the fountain pen).

There is nothing wrong with the Vector as a first fountain pen. If it does what you want it to, and you like it, that is all that matters. My Parker 45 was the 1970s version of the Vector, an inexpensive student pen.

Hey the letter exchange/pen pal program is neat. It is a nice way (reason/excuse) to get you to use your pen, and it is neat to see the different inks that others use. By actually seeing the ink on paper you may be tempted to get a bottle of it, I was and did.

gud luk in your search.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

A laquer finish can be damaged, and you should expect to chip the finish over time. My wife's pen has a chip that she constantly complains about. So if you want to minimize the damage, you have to protect the pen, like keep it in a sleeve or case when not used. And handle it with care when you do use it. Some people have gotten away without damage to their pen, others like my wife, as good as they care for their pen, it gets chipped. Murphey in action.

- My personal favorite for a pen finish that will take some abuse is a brushed stainless steel finish (called a flighter). Although that stainless steel finish is a little too industrial for some folks.

- A flat black finish is easier to maintain, it won't show chips as easily as a glossy laquer finish.

As for the Waterman. You are not stuck with just Waterman refills. There are other companies making refills that fit various pens. You just have to go look for them.

The Cross Classic Century is a THIN pen, just a bit larger in diameter than a #2 pencil. Many people complain that they cannot use a pen that thin. So get a pencil and use it for a while, like you would a roller ball or fountain pen, to see how your hand likes the size. For the fountain pen, there is no ink converter for the Classic Century, it is cartridge fill only.

About the old "original" Cross Century. They have a roller ball pen (called a select tip), but you need to be VERY careful. Cross made a change to the pen, and the refills that are available today, do NOT fit the early model. If you get the early model pen, you are STUCK, with a pen without a refill. And I do not recall a glossy black finish, there is a flat black (have the fountain pen).

There is nothing wrong with the Vector as a first fountain pen. If it does what you want it to, and you like it, that is all that matters. My Parker 45 was the 1970s version of the Vector, an inexpensive student pen.

Hey the letter exchange/pen pal program is neat. It is a nice way (reason/excuse) to get you to use your pen, and it is neat to see the different inks that others use. By actually seeing the ink on paper you may be tempted to get a bottle of it, I was and did.

gud luk in your search.

Thanks for all the info!

I currently use a vintage Cross Century, so I'm familiar with the smaller .38 of inch diameter...and I actually like it. The Cross I'm looking at is a current production model with a RB refill in current production, so that should be fine.

Totally agree with you on the brushed stainless steel. That's one of the reasons I love my Parker Jotter. It takes serious abuse, but looks the same. I want something more elegant for this next pen though and black lacquer just looks so sexy in those pics...

elegant... CP1? >.< M... NOPE... industrial Lamy Logo

Huh? I'm confused...what is a CP1?

Edit: Nevermind, I searched Lamy CP1...not really my style.

Edited by sirgilbert357

Huh? I'm confused...what is a CP1?

cp1 (in lower case) is a Lamy pen. Actually the Lamy Germany site has it as "cp 1" with a space between the cp and the 1..

http://www.lamy.com/eng/b2c/cp_1

Any way back on track here is the pen at Goulet pens.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_CP1_Fountain_Pens_s/983.htm

Very nice looking "minimalist" pen. I have and use it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

cp1 (in lower case) is a Lamy pen. Actually the Lamy Germany site has it as "cp 1" with a space between the cp and the 1..

http://www.lamy.com/eng/b2c/cp_1

Any way back on track here is the pen at Goulet pens.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_CP1_Fountain_Pens_s/983.htm

Very nice looking "minimalist" pen. I have and use it.

Looks solid, but I'm looking for a dressier pen in RB with gold hardware. I'll get a FP next though...

If you're looking for a classic black and gold RB, check the Kaweco Dia2

http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Dia2-Roller-Ball-Pen-with-Gold-Accents-Medium-Point-Black-Body/pd/10830

I don't have any experience with Kaweco's RB, but they make nice fountain pens. Ditto for Franklin Christophe, which has some beautiful RB and BP models, as well as excellent FPs.

Edited by Scootz

I prefer Parker over the Waterman.

I compared my Sonnet and my Jotter. The Sonnet is a little thicker than the Jotter, FYI.

-William S. Park

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

If you're looking for a classic black and gold RB, check the Kaweco Dia2

http://www.jetpens.com/Kaweco-Dia2-Roller-Ball-Pen-with-Gold-Accents-Medium-Point-Black-Body/pd/10830

I don't have any experience with Kaweco's RB, but they make nice fountain pens. Ditto for Franklin Christophe, which has some beautiful RB and BP models, as well as excellent FPs.

Wow, so many brands I've never even heard of. Thanks for telling me about these two. Not really feeling any of the offerings from Franklin Christoph(e?), but the Kaweco you linked to is pretty nice. Its a bit high for the budget on this purchase, but I'll keep them in mind as a brand for FP's later on...

http://www.lamy.com/eng/b2c/cp_1/256 <- Lamy CP 1

http://www.lamy.com/eng/b2c/scala/280 <-Lamy Scala

to me... subjectively speaking

but ok let's be a bit pretentious

MB 149 Le grand BP :P

Those are really clean designs, but I guess I don't think of them as "dressed up" enough...they seem very modern and industrial.

The MB on the other hand is more the look I'm into, but that price!! Ugh...if I had between 400 and 650 extra dollars to blow right now, it'd be on another watch I've been wanting. I'm in the sub 80 dollar range for this next pen, lol.