The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Maruzen Athena Sepia

brown sepia ink review maruzen

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:51

This is another one of those reviews that has been hard for me to write.  Not because it didn’t live up to my expectations, but because it exceeded them so far…

fpn_1410522541__tumblr_inline_nbrmmtfpyg

This ink sample was sent to me by same kind soul as the Tsuki-yo.  It’s a very hard ink to get here in the States, and so far I’ve only found one online retailer who carries it (I’ll get to that later).

Maruzen Athena ink is sold in Japan and that’s about the extent of what I know about the brand as a whole.  I do know that this ink is a deep, rich brown that is dark enough to be a reliable daily user but just interesting enough to set yourself apart from black and blue users.

fpn_1410522614__tumblr_inline_nbrmuuffvp

Because it’s so dark there’s not much for shading, but there is a little bit.  Otherwise the behavior is everything I could ask for and more - no feathering, little bleeding, great flow, and some really fantastic water resistance.

Alright, here’s the only problem with this ink - you can’t really buy it here.  The only place I’ve found is Nanami Paper and you can expect to pay roughly $1/mL to get your hands on a bottle of the good stuff.  Is it worth it?

That is a question only you can answer.  To me it definitely is and as soon as I free up some cash I’m going to buy a bottle.  I’m sure that if you try really hard you can find a similar color but probably not the wonderful behavior.  If you do find a match, please let me know.  :-)

This ink was provided to me for the review and I am not being compensated in any way.  All opinions expressed above are my own and you are free to disagree with them if you like.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Sponsored Content

#2 Bemo

Bemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:24

Very interesting. I'm a sucker for sepia. I'd love to see a comparison between this and R & K Sepia. Thanks for sharing this.

#3 playtime

playtime

Flexible

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2014 - 14:44

Perceptive and penetrating! I, of course, whole-heartily agree with your review - an ink of note, and one that I wish were more readily available at a more friendly price.

i wonder if FPN could arrange some group buy, or even some specially conceived ink, for FPN members. I'd readily purchase a bottle!

many thanks again for sharing your thoughts.....

J

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived.  I have three, but hardly ever use them.  After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

#4 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Donor Pen

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2014 - 14:47

Thanks for the review!  Maybe i'll pick up a bottle when I'm snagging a back up of Eternal Blue.  :)

#5 alarickc

alarickc

Inknut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:25

I need to pick up a bottle of this for comparison (and because the bottle is sweet) but I think I have found a mix of sailor inks that comes freakishly close to this. The mix is 4pts sailor epinard and 1pt sailor grenade. It produces a lovely deep reddish brown.

fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20res

#6 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:28

I see more red in mine... overall is a gorgeous ink...  My bottle is under lock and key.. :lol:

fpn_1409030093__sailor_athenasepia1.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#7 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 3,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 15:51

My bottle is in a guarded, underground vault disguised as a Prairie Dog town somewhere in western South Dakota. Really cool vintage bottle, and my research on it's properties (hoping it contained "real" sepia) revealed it as another Sailor made exclusive ink for Maurzen.

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#8 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 18:06

I need to pick up a bottle of this for comparison (and because the bottle is sweet) but I think I have found a mix of sailor inks that comes freakishly close to this. The mix is 4pts sailor epinard and 1pt sailor grenade. It produces a lovely deep reddish brown.

You know.. I am going to try that... I have both colors...   :P

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#9 alarickc

alarickc

Inknut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2014 - 22:32

You know.. I am going to try that... I have both colors...   :P

Let me know what you think of it.

#10 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:04

Let me know what you think of it.

OH WOW.... I am SHOCKED!!!!!... They are almost identical... Your ratios were quite off thou.   I started with 1:2 ratio Grenade to Epinard..  I do a fair amounts of mix, and Epinard is a very saturated ink, I wanted to make sure no to blow it...

The first test was EXACTLY the correct ratio.   I will post scans..  

Sadly.. since both Epinard and Grenade have been discontinued, they are not such an easy Maruzen Sepia replacement anymore.  

I am guessing the same can be achieved with Okuyama and Tokina Matsou.   

Back with the scan...

fpn_1411179357__maruzen_mix.jpg

Edited by Cyber6, 20 September 2014 - 02:16.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#11 alarickc

alarickc

Inknut

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:37

Nice! I'll try that one out. The four to one mix makes a duskier color; it would seem that these two, or their almost dupes, can make a range of red-sepias.

#12 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:52

Nice! I'll try that one out. The four to one mix makes a duskier color; it would seem that these two, or their almost dupes, can make a range of red-sepias.

I can definitely see more purple in the 1:2 mix... but only in the swabs... you can't see any difference in the writing with the naked eye.

With different nibs, paper even the ink flow... these two can easily be identical "twins"..   :lol:

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#13 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:20

this one certainly nice and dark enough as daily formal office-use ink color.  another one of the few on my list of japanese inks to get.  :thumbup:

-rudy-

#14 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:01

I would love to pick up a bottle of this ink. Does anyone know where you can get it?

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

#15 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 3,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:06

Cooljapan (Atsu) on eBay - send him an email for his price.

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#16 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:31

Have just done so. :) Many thanks Sinistral1!

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

#17 bjh13

bjh13

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:58

Cooljapan (Atsu) on eBay - send him an email for his price.

He's my hero, not only got me this ink but also Hakase Sepia.

#18 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:02

He's my hero, not only got me this ink but also Hakase Sepia.

HAKASE !!!   Dude... that is like Gold !!!    :wub:

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#19 bjh13

bjh13

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:41

HAKASE !!!   Dude... that is like Gold !!!    :wub:

C.

It cost practically as much as gold.  I'm glad I got it, but it sure killed my ink budget for a long while..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brown, sepia, ink review, maruzen

Sponsored Content

|