Knives And Fountain Pens

mooshi

My father's side of the family came from a part of Pohjanmaa, that is famous for a double set of knives. Like this: härmän puukko . I was always told that the large one was for men and the small one for women and children back in the good old days...

Edited by Thuja

Caretaker for a bevy of Swans.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mooshi

• PaganArcher

• tinta

• Azuniga

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have enjoyed this thread, so one more image just to keep it going...

Hunting knife (no name, Mex), Marttiini (Finland); Orion pen, Silver Overlay Ford Pen

Beautiful. I have two Rapalas like that, the large and the small one. The best of the best steel and handle.

Edited by penrivers

My father's side of the family came from a part of Pohjanmaa, that is famous for a double set of knives. Like this: härmän puukko . I was always told that the large one was for men and the small one for women and children back in the good old days...

Thuja,

Thank you for the link, it was a delight to visit !! ... I had to bookmark it.

Beautiful. I have two Rapalas like that, the large and the small one. The best of the best steel and handle.

Absolutely right, I bought it in Baja in the eighties and I love it... but now I visited the link suggested by Thuja there are so many others I want !!!

Thanks Ulfgrim.

The sheath knife is a Haugtussa (woman's knife) from Norway, paired with a Sailor 1911 Standard sized Brown Marble Mozaique.

The knife has a 6.5 cm. Sandvik ss. blade, the handle is curly grain (visa) birch.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Thanks Ulfgrim.

The sheath knife is a Haugtussa (woman's knife) from Norway, paired with a Sailor 1911 Standard Brown Mozaique.

The knife has a 6.5 cm. Sandvik ss. blade, the handle is curly grain (visa) birch.

Beautiful!

Thanks Ulfgrim.

The sheath knife is a Haugtussa (woman's knife) from Norway, paired with a Sailor 1911 Standard Brown Mozaique.

Beautiful!

Thanks Ulfgrim.

attachicon.gifHaugtussa & Brown Brown Mozaique-1.jpg

That is a gorgeous knife and pen pairing. Classy enough for formal dress, robust enough for daily use.

This is a fun topic. Useful too.

AFAIK, pens & knives have had a long association, though maybe not fountain pens.

The cutting of quills or correcting on parchment comes to mind.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Indeed!

Thank you for the link Thuja.

Sometime in the 1990s I picked up a self published book (no date found): " The Knives of Finland" by Lester C. Ristinen of Wolf Lake Minnesota, that shows a few examples of pukkos from various regions of Finland. The pictures on your link make my mouth water.

I do not own a Finnish sheath knife,... yet, but I'm looking.

István

Edited by tinta

Fun thread! Here's mine:

15268793772_f667d8cdfb_b.jpg

A small Sebenza 21 and a Pelikan M600

Lovely Sebenza. A good match for the Pel.

Looks like the Classic handle.

What's the blade steel?

Lovely Sebenza. A good match for the Pel.

Looks like the Classic handle.

What's the blade steel?

It's a seb from a few years ago after the bump to s35vn with the "Idaho Made" stamp. I wanted a sterile handle but the asking price for those was too much. No more regular handle designs for the sebenza when the 21 came out other than some limited editions I think. Not that I mind because I've always preferred the classic handle anyway.

Message me about nib work in NYC

Instagram | YouTube

I've always preferred the classic handle anyway.

In '98, when I bought my small Sebenza , there were less choices at Chris Reeve.

The standard classic handle was not available & I could not afford the custom handle that had a "fly" laser-engraved on one slab. No matter,... the one I have is a real workhorse. It's always with me (except when I fly).

I too am a fan of the original "classic" handle.

Thank you for the link Thuja.

Sometime in the 1990s I picked up a self published book (no date found): " The Knives of Finland" by Lester C. Ristinen of Wolf Lake Minnesota, that shows a few examples of pukkos from various regions of Finland. The pictures on your link make my mouth water.

I do not own a Finnish sheath knife,... yet, but I'm looking.

István

If you're looking, Pasi Hurttila out of Ivalo made my puukko and leuku both. He sometimes has knives for sale on his website, but does custom work as well. Not sure if his books are open as I haven't spoken to him in some months, but drop me a PM if you've questions or like his email address.

In '98, when I bought my small Sebenza , there were less choices at Chris Reeve.

The standard classic handle was not available & I could not afford the custom handle that had a "fly" laser-engraved on one slab. No matter,... the one I have is a real workhorse. It's always with me (except when I fly).

I too am a fan of the original "classic" handle.

I'm a fan of the classic 21 handles - especially when it shows the marks of being well loved. :)

Ulfgrim, can you show us a picture of your puukko & leuku?

Would love to see it.

Ulfgrim, can you show us a picture of your puukko & leuku?

Would love to see it.

In my picture on the first page, the leuku is on the left, the puukko on the right. I'll get some better, more detailed photos when I get ome from work.