Do You Ever See Other People Using Fountain Pens At Work?

OldGreyBeard

I am somewhat encouraged. A pen of mine disappeared from my desk drawer a while back. At least someone was interested.

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• OldGreyBeard

• uemuraw

• RMN

Maybe 1 in 20 of my work colleagues use a fountain pen. Most have only one or two. I haven't run across anyone who is obsessed as I am and uses 4-5 fountain pens a day.

I have gifted some of the interns who have worked with me Pilot Metropolitans.

One other professor in my university uses fountain pens. He loves vintage Parker Duofolds,and we chat from time-to-time.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I am somewhat encouraged. A pen of mine disappeared from my desk drawer a while back. At least someone was interested.

Bob

Lol, I love people who steal books too.

Lol, I love people who steal books too.

It is unlawful in all 50 states to shoot those people who steal your pens or books.

I've checked.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My boss from a previous employer was huge into fountain pens. He turned me on to TWSBI pens when I first went down the rabbit hole.

He would take a look at what I was writing with from time to time to check out my new pens.

Why did you leave?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Not sure if they are fountain pens or not, but one of my co-workers has a shirt pocket stuffed full of very nice looking pens including Mont Blancs and Pelikans.

• 2 weeks later...

Some colleagues in the staff room...a Graf von Faber Castel, a Parker Sonnet Flighter, a few Vectors (a blue one and a Flighter) and a red Lamy Safari...we're highschool teachers.

The other day I found a matte brown Lamy Safari, B nib, in the staff room. I sent a mail to all my colleagues but no one has claimed it yet. Someone's Lamy is still on Safari...

regards,

Hugo

Edited by dojocho

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

in the last job I had, the VP-GM used to use a fountain pen...but he was a real jerk.

My current boss has a Montblanc ballpoint . Everyone else uses Bic pens or Sharpies.

The other day I found a matte brown Lamy Safari, B nib, in the staff room. I sent a mail to all my colleagues but no one has claimed it yet. Someone's Lamy is still on Safari...

regards, Hugo

Very good!

Some colleagues in the staff room...a Graf von Faber Castel, a Parker Sonnet Flighter, a few Vectors (a blue one and a Flighter) and a red Lamy Safari...we're highschool teachers.

About seven words into your post I was certain you're not in the U.S. We're a nation of philistines.

James

• 1 month later...

Stopped by my husband's coffee shop this PM to say hello on my way home. He was chatting with two of my grad students, so I went over to join them. Noticed that one of them had her planner open, and caught a glimpse of turquoise - wait, WHAT? is that a Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop? I pointed at it, asked what it was, and she goes "it's a fountain pen." Oh. My. I like this student! She proceeds to show me how it writes, and waxes poetic about it, along with its houndstooth mate, and her Noodler's flex pen, in her bag! AND then she says only buys stuff from Goulet, because that is the only seller she knows (and she has been watching Brian's videos to learn about her pens).

So, I pull out the leather pouch, and allow her to test my current travel set: Visconti Eco-Roller, Conklin Endura, Pelikan Piccadilly Circus, Pilot 92, and Edison Pearl. She falls in love with the Pelikan - not realizing it is the most expensive pen in the set, naturally. I allowed the other two students to test my pens, too, without telling them the value (I've learned that telling them the cost upfront makes them too nervous to write). There may be a couple of converts before it is all said and done.

Most of the rest of my students who are FP people had to be introduced to the cult by me; here's one who came to it on her own!

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

As the OP I thought I'd report back on what I've observed since the first posting.

Generally I see one perhaps two others with a FP in a meeting of 15+ people. All ages with them. Usually something budget priced like a Parker Vector.

I was asked if I had any ink a couple of weeks ago!

A colleague of mine bought a MB with his 20-year loyalty bonus. A few more of us use FPs as our default or signing pens.

... and we're a Computer Science school :)

A colleague of mine bought a MB with his 20-year loyalty bonus.

Companies used to give you one (but maybe that was only when you left).

James

... and caught a glimpse of turquoise - wait, WHAT? is that a Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop? I pointed at it, asked what it was, and she goes "it's a fountain pen." Oh. My. I like this student! She proceeds to show me how it writes, and waxes poetic about it, along with its houndstooth mate, and her Noodler's flex pen, in her bag! AND then she says only buys stuff from Goulet, because that is the only seller she knows (and she has been watching Brian's videos to learn about her pens).

So, I pull out the leather pouch, and allow her to test my current travel set: Visconti Eco-Roller, Conklin Endura, Pelikan Piccadilly Circus, Pilot 92, and Edison Pearl. She falls in love with the Pelikan - not realizing it is the most expensive pen in the set, naturally. I allowed the other two students to test my pens, too, without telling them the value (I've learned that telling them the cost upfront makes them too nervous to write). There may be a couple of converts before it is all said and done.

Most of the rest of my students who are FP people had to be introduced to the cult by me; here's one who came to it on her own!

Sharon in Indiana

I really enjoyed this story. Thank you.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

I'm always on the lookout during meetings but so far I haven't seen anyone else at work using fountain pens... I've been at this job for less than a year though, so I'm still hopeful. :P