Informal Review - Papers - Lots Of Different Papers Compared.

amberleadavis

Oh, that's nice. I'm sure you feel warmer already.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Bo Bo Olson

• Tessy Moon

• TheRealScubaSteve

• 6 years later...

Images have been uploaded to the FPN server since we have upgraded.  I've also edited the posts to include the name of the paper so that you can search within the thread.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

God amber, I didn't realize it was so long ago.

The third year of those Aldi papers I'd planned to buy enough to gift the world....but they never carried them again.

Those papers were the ones that gave me a 'cheap' jump start into papers.

My wife just retired, so I ended up cleaning up my bear den, and your letters were sitting right where I could find them....after I took the jackhammer to them.

You will get more paper.....

Same assortment as last time? If you wish.....do realize lazy is my middle name.  Or do you just wish one or two?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 4 weeks later...

2014-Ink_1485.jpg

@Bo Bo Olson My favorite paper was the hammered paper.  If you ever find that again, let me know, I'd love to buy some. It is really special.

Amber, Don't have any of that paper right now...but think the gramage  Appears to be 80g...ok Rhoda is 80g.

Couldn't find any of that MK paper in hammered.

Will be sending you some of that Aldi, hammered and the rest of the four.

I have the MK 95 gram typewriter paper, only good on one side in it's typewriter paper. All typewriter papers are only coated on one side, in typewriting was only done on one side.

MK was max krause , so that helps in Googling.

What Ever you Do, buy no other paper by Brunnen other than MK. MK had been a big name in the '30-50-60's that went bankrupt. Brunnen bought up the name and astoundingly kept it good.

I must have bought 8-10 thankfully thin packs of of different  Brunnen papers with great hopes.....ALL ended up in the printer.....even the dinkle edged stuff.

Don't buy Rössler paper; feathers one and all...........one (100-120g)was so sinfully nice to write on it would be made illegal to use in Kansas on Sunday; but feathered enough I was so glad I only bought a few sheets at my B&M....a long time ago. I'd bought three types in hopes of getting better and it didn't.

That Amber was back when I found that Aldi paper they only had for two years. I'd showed up the third year at start of school sales, and no more of the good paper.

A whole mile away is a German post office, that has a Oxford Optic 90g spiral notebook, which I need....and big envelopes....It's bad when tortoises roar by and snails honk to pass. :blush:

:D Still have enough of that Aldi paper to share with you.....will.

Once there were 'pads' of MK paper with only 50 sheets, which was what I normally cheaped out with.

I remember a few times going into the B&M, looking at the 'expensive' paper, saying that will cut into my ink purchase...so got two inks instead.

Weak willed.....may have had money for a warm Subway cookie....afterwards.....but mostly I'm waste money there on my way to my B&M; its only a block up. It's sad when one lets a warm chocolate chip cookie ruin a days plan....make that a assorted six pack. Usually have three left by the time I get to my B&M.:rolleyes:

My B&M was last only carrying the 100 sheet typewriter paper. Don't think they had any the last time I was there....or I was having a cheap fit. 

Brunnen ....Writing Pad MK Watermarks A4 Plain 50 Sheets White ...E6.95 on Amazon, probably the  other non-typewriter paper I sent you. Does have a watermark. Didn't say hammered.

The MK  95 G Typewriting paper costs E 8.49. 100 sheets.

Not on Amazon There is another 95g office paper but Brunnen wants you to look for a dealer. E9.25 100sheets.

Shipping from Germany is so, so, much cheaper than US mail.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Amber, just sent you a PM with whats coming.

But just read, you really liked the marbled paper, and that paper I have enough to send you a unopend pack, plus what was already in the big wide envelope.

Just today I was looking at that (horrible)  HP 'color' laser paper, and thankfully didn't buy any because it was only 80g, and I've gone over to 90g for my printer. In I want shading when making notes or editing my scribbling....well hard to get if using an EF pen, but there's always the back and a wider nib.

Lucked out at a new source for my Oxford Optic 90g spiral notebooks....threw a snit when the German store where they hide local post offices now, didn't have any. (just cheap ball point spiral notebooks)  ..... and like a fool I'd not bought the Oxford Optic 90g out, thinking the good paper would 'always' be there.

Ball point users have no idea what good paper is, so why pay for it. I can see that as wasted shelf space.:crybaby:

I really can't believe it's been 8 years; since I sent that paper to Amber. **

I still see my self rather noobie with only some 40 papers, even before I read this thread again and the new stuff. Now I know it.

So many nice papers.

Dr. Dr. Amber. Doctor of Paper and Doctor of Ink.

sort of a German joke, or perhaps even Stateside, when one has more than one doctorate. Dr. Dr. Professor and so on.

Of course often that don't help much of you have a heart attack. ;)

** My Doctorate is in Procrastination. :happyberet:

Forgot to mention...for MK paper,  ...German postal cost to The States is @ 2/3's cheaper than from the States to Germany.

:headsmack::headsmack::gaah::wallbash:

SORRY!!!  I went to the local 'dorf'  post office where they have only minimum wage workers....and for a @ pound package that she didn't even weigh said, it cost E 95 to mail to the States. Due to lack of flights....which is BS Major.

Ignorance of non-professional postal workers.

My wife went on line and at the main post office, on line, it would be e15. (reasonable for a pound...that was not weighed at the 'drug' store, no drugs sold but personal care products mostly,dorf post office. .........right across the street they had a real post office they closed.:headsmack:

So if idiots  at MK  carrying companies go to such a post office; it would not be as cheap as it was last year.... ...be cheaper to buy that $10.00 a sheet Italian hand made paper. (one sheet is on my wish list)

So Amber's paper package will be delayed until reality phases in.

Tomorrow or the next day I'll let you know if the dorf, tiny village, post office is wrong or not.

I really don't want to cut the package into 20 different ones per paper type..

I was late as it was.............I mean, what's 8 years to a procrastinator?

An up to now I didn't have a complaint about German Post.............how odd to think US post as 'cheap'. :lticaptd:

• 7 months later...

I have shared some of these papers with my friend @tringle. Expect to see some letters soon.

I'd forgotten I'd said all this before.

And with the Brunnen paper listed below...they at least didn't screw up the M&K paper which is worth the low postal costs from Germany to the States.....

It is not easy to get into papers........one finds CT and Rhoda expensive, other good papers hard to access...ordering in many cases on line on advice of those in the know. It is much easier now than a decade ago.

Some papers that were great, were cost cut to printer paper only.

So when one scrapes up the money, one has to make sure yesterday's great paper still is.

I think one should have a list of papers, like one's list of inks found unexpectedly in the wild in one's wallet. My computer guy has some H&P paper but is it the once good stuff? Or is H&P any good any more at all?

I was very lucky, those Aldi papers I've spoken of and shipped small amounts to a few people, started me with one swoop 4 different types of paper at the same time and affordable. I doubled up my buy the next year....

Unfortunately, I waited for the third year to buy up the store and make mailmen curse. They stopped carrying them.

I had gotten an online list of every small stationary shop in Heidelberg, and visited them.

Two name brands looked good, were though only ball point papers. :crybaby:They ended up in the printer.

Aldi papers.

Hammerschlag = hammered.................linen effect, I've gotten from other papers.

Bluten....at least in my Aldi paper had nothing to do with flowers, but is a great little paper. Some have deckled edges.

What surprised me the most was the greenish marbled paper. I never expected such odd stuff to be great int he first place.

There I finally got my first start into papers.

I do suggest getting a ream or box of good to better paper with every three inks one buys. If a ream is too expensive then every 5 inks.

Soon one will have a fine assortment of paper for your inks to dance on.

It is so sad Sandy1's great pictures are gone. :sad:

But do as I say.....not as I don't. Sandy1 used some 8-9 great papers over the decade to 15 years she was our Ink Guru. Those should be on everyone's buy list.

Mine too.:blush:

Brunnen and Rossler are to be avoided at all costs.

One of the expensive Rossler papers was so sinfully good to write on, it would be illegal to use on Sunday in Kansas, but was a bleed through champ.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 10:07 PM, amberleadavis said:

I have shared some of these papers with my friend @tringle. Expect to see some letters soon.

They are on their way!! 🙂 

• 6 months later...

Received my bid from eBay. It’s a mixed bunch of vintage onionskin. I found it noisy to write on, especially with the Justus 95.  Bottom paragraph is Montblanc 149 Calligraphy with Tesla Coil.

Tilted to exaggerate sheen.

B0F1426C-78B1-4A04-908B-BF9B6FE7144F.jpeg

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2022 at 11:46 PM, webgeckos said:

Received my bid from eBay. It’s a mixed bunch of vintage onionskin. I found it noisy to write on, especially with the Justus 95.  Bottom paragraph is Montblanc 149 Calligraphy with Tesla Coil.

Tilted to exaggerate sheen.

B0F1426C-78B1-4A04-908B-BF9B6FE7144F.jpeg

I loved my letter from you with onion skin and Tesla Coil.