The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mb Noblesse Oblige: Cap Not Closing

noblesse oblige mb mont blanc cap

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stephanos

stephanos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2014 - 21:34

Hello.

We have recently inherited a couple of Mont Blanc pens, one of which is a Nobless Oblige. It was in a filthy state, but I've cleaned it up and it now writes beautifully. But...

The cap does not close.

I've looked down the inside of the cap, and there doesn't seem to be anything out of place or jammed in there. I suppose it's possible that the Nobless Oblige cap is not original to the pen and that the barrel and nib are another model. In fact, if I were seeing this 'in the wild' that would be my assumption, as the gold rim at the back of the section seems to be slightly too wide. But knowing the former owner, I think that is unlikely. So I'm stumped. Any ideas?

I'm including some pictures below. The first is a close-up of the 'most closed' position - note the gap. The final picture shows the pen as a whole. The top of the cap has a slightly rounded MB white star; the bottom of the pen is flat black. Sorry, no photos of the inside of the cap - I don't have the equipment for a picture like that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MB-NoblesseFaultyCap_01.jpg

MB-NoblesseFaultyCap_02.jpg

MB-NoblesseFaultyCap_03.jpg

MB-NoblesseFaultyCap_04.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 LeonardoDV

LeonardoDV

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 22:50

Hmmm.....it appears that Noblesse does not oblige the cap to close!

#3 plumeau

plumeau

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 18:18

This model look more like a real noblesse oblige first generation, the last generation has a cap different.your nib look not like a noblesse or a noblesse oblige.

http://www.pensforev...Burgundy Laquer

#4 EclecticCollector

EclecticCollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2014 - 22:35

Plumeau, you have linked to the older Slimline model. This one here is the late 90s larger Oblige, I have one as well. My first guess would be that the inner plastic cap is broken or misaligned, preventing the cap from closing properly. Note that it's normal to have a slight gap between the cap and the body when closed. The gap should match the groove at the top of the trim ring.

Edited by EclecticCollector, 11 September 2014 - 22:36.

#5 Mister Mont Blanc

Mister Mont Blanc

Mr. Montblanc has cheated and fallen in love with Mr. Visconti

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2014 - 18:50

It may be possible the nib was worked on at some point and was not put back in correctly, making the pen seem longer and not allowing the cap to close. In regards to EclecticCollector's comment, when the cap is on as far as it goes, is it stable?

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

#6 stephanos

stephanos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2014 - 19:30

Thank you for the comments.

I can't take a photo of the inside of the cap, but I can shine a light down it and have a look with a loupe, and there is no visible damage or misalignment.

The cap doesn't stay on at all - that is, if I push the cap on as far as it will go and then invert the pen, the cap will fall off (there is no grip at all). The pen itself writes pretty well, starts up first time every time even though the cap doesn't create an airtight seal.

I guess it's possible that the nib has been worked on, but knowing the previous owner, that seems unlikely.

Oh well, I suppose there's nothing for it but to take it to MB at some point and see what the matter is, then decide whether or not it makes sense to pay for any repairs. As it's a MB pen, it's probably an expensive outing, but the pen's position as an inherited piece may change the value equation.

#7 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2014 - 21:11

Oh well, I suppose there's nothing for it but to take it to MB at some point and see what the matter is, then decide whether or not it makes sense to pay for any repairs. As it's a MB pen, it's probably an expensive outing, but the pen's position as an inherited piece may change the value equation.

I doubr Montblanc would be any help with that pen.  Contact the good folk at fountainpen.de and see if they can help.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#8 stephanos

stephanos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2014 - 21:56

That site's new to me, so double-thanks for the tip!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noblesse oblige, mb, mont blanc, cap

Sponsored Content

|