Conway Stewart In Administration!

Tancred

This is my review of a recent production Belliver. QC problems were obvious.

I like the pen, and am sad (but not really surprised) to hear of their situation.

Ok, well, if we look at quality then I can admit to having had a Belgravia, one of those very expensive sterling models, which had a deep scratch on the nib section. I had to send it back for a replacement and fortunately that one was perfect. Why they didn't notice the scratch to start with is a mystery. However, the replacement pen was flawless and wrote like a dream.

I think we have to make allowances for the fact that CS is a small company, not owned by a big corporate player. In other words, it's not a Montblanc, Parker, Pelikan, Sheaffer or Waterman. Maybe now this will change and one of the big companies will take over CS and hopefully turn it around completely. Let's hope so.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• RMN

• Tancred

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

I just recently bought my very first pen from them https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/272849-wwi-churchill-limited-edition/

I am incredibly happy with it. I have been using it daily and love the way it feels and writes. Obviously, I can say nothing about their overall quality or the longevity of my pen, but this is sad news. I hope it works out in the end, as I was looking forward to new CS pens in my future.

I have had minor issues with one CS pen out of the three or four that I own (that own me?). They are all lovely, smooth writers, never hard starting or skipping issues. I for one will be sad if they really go down the tube.

I still want (a) a Kipling and ( b ) a Lawyer, both apparently out of production now.

Edited by abstract49

This is sad. I am still searching for the Model 100 I want.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

I think we have to make allowances for the fact that CS is a small company, not owned by a big corporate player. In other words, it's not a Montblanc, Parker, Pelikan, Sheaffer or Waterman. Maybe now this will change and one of the big companies will take over CS and hopefully turn it around completely. Let's hope so.

Small companies usually supply a better more personal service than a big corporate player. Conway Stewart were not churning out pens for the mass market, they were offering a high quality product, and quality control and customer service should have been a major part of their company.

Conway Stewart was a very small company. On closure the workforce of 4 (yes four) was made redundant. The problems were put down to falling sales. I think these facts say it all. Lets hope for some rescue plan but it won't be the same company that emerges from that plan, if at all.

Peter

It would be a pity if the CS line would vanish

I hope that the professional team at onoto will save them and incorporate their line in their productrange

I had some issues with QC but all was solved in a decent way

Small companies usually supply a better more personal service than a big corporate player. Conway Stewart were not churning out pens for the mass market, they were offering a high quality product, and quality control and customer service should have been a major part of their company.

Not all niche players can offer this level of service - especially if they are not financially sound.

Conway Stewart was a very small company. On closure the workforce of 4 (yes four) was made redundant. The problems were put down to falling sales. I think these facts say it all. Lets hope for some rescue plan but it won't be the same company that emerges from that plan, if at all.

Falling sales. Well, this was either due to high competition or misjudging the market. The fountain pen market is actually much more resilient than might appear at first sight, and in places like China it's growing. I guess that, as a brand, Conway Stewart failed to break through in growth markets, hence the failure to boost sales.

Edited by Tancred

Falling sales. Well, this was either due to high competition or misjudging the market. The fountain pen market is actually much more resilient than might appear at first sight, and in places like China it's growing. I guess that, as a brand, Conway Stewart failed to break through in growth markets, hence the failure to boost sales.

Breaking into new markets is very hard for a very small company with limited resources. I think that Conway Stewart tried to be all things to all people with too many models. It doesn't work in a limited market. The fountain pen market may seem to be resilient to us pen fans but most people in the UK do not know what a fountain pen is. Yes the Chinese market is growing (look at what Parker is doing in that area with models aimed at Chinese tastes) but for a company like CS that is not an option.

Peter

Breaking into new markets is very hard for a very small company with limited resources. I think that Conway Stewart tried to be all things to all people with too many models. It doesn't work in a limited market. The fountain pen market may seem to be resilient to us pen fans but most people in the UK do not know what a fountain pen is. Yes the Chinese market is growing (look at what Parker is doing in that area with models aimed at Chinese tastes) but for a company like CS that is not an option.

Well, kids still use basic fountain pens in many schools, especially the more traditional ones. The trouble is that there is no push from the government to maintain handwriting skills, so many young people only use laptops to communicate.

The bottom line is that the only future of the fountain pen is as an expensive luxury item for high earning professionals or as a cheap, basic pen for schoolkids. The middle market has been squeezed. And to compete in the luxury market you need a brand name; the issue here is that Conway Stewart is not really well known outside the UK.

I think that the resurrection of Onoto about 5 yrs ago and the following success did not do CS good, as the were fishing in the same pond...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I think that the resurrection of Onoto about 5 yrs ago and the following success did not do CS good, as the were fishing in the same pond...

D.ick

Perhaps. For me, Onoto survive due to excellent customer service and tight quality control. I have not had any faults with my Onotos but have had to send a CS back more than once. The other way of looking at it is that competition should inspire you to improve your product and service which CS does not seem to have done in some instances. Real pity as I still love their pens. Edited by Ipodimusprime

I have been looking through the various posts regarding CS quality control and customer service and there does seem to be a disproportionate number of complaints in relation to the size of the company and, therefore, the number of pens sold. I have to say that I have never had any problems, be it quality or service, maybe I was lucky. I think what is most telling is the fact (and I believe I am correct, but someone will surely put me right) that a few years ago CS had a workforce of around 12 but at the close they made only 4 redundant. This would seem to indicate a running down of the company. Any thoughts?

Peter

Indeed , throughout the years I had several contacts with both.

What always surprised at CS was , they were even not able to track nib or pen sending in a decent way.

Mrs Care was always friendly , but was not able to cheque and trace things as should be , perhaps not her fault.

Eg I got my last churchill back with totally decentered feed, which i cannot understand at all , a little child can see this.

Or the production , QC staff is not motivated ? I don t know.

Several nibs were skipping and flow issues , all solved , but more of these problems than elsewhere.

Nevertheless I always kept on and keep on supporting the brand

But one thing is sure , at Onoto , things are running much more professional!

All what we pen lovers ask , is decent QC

Indeed , throughout the years I had several contacts with both.

What always surprised at CS was , they were even not able to track nib or pen sending in a decent way.

Mrs Care was always friendly , but was not able to cheque and trace things as should be , perhaps not her fault.

Eg I got my last churchill back with totally decentered feed, which i cannot understand at all , a little child can see this.

Or the production , QC staff is not motivated ? I don t know.

Several nibs were skipping and flow issues , all solved , but more of these problems than elsewhere.

Nevertheless I always kept on and keep on supporting the brand

But one thing is sure , at Onoto , things are running much more professional!

All what we pen lovers ask , is decent QC

If the company was running down and the staff knew it that could explain what was going on.

Peter

What angers me is why customers were kept in the dark when the writing was clearly on the wall.

It ever was such. I feel for anyone who has an order in the pipeline and also for pen dealers who have placed orders with CS. They will allways be at the back of the queue when it comes to getting their money back.

Peter

What angers me is why customers were kept in the dark when the writing was clearly on the wall.

Do you really expect any company not doing well to place a page wide ad in the papers telling customers:

Hey we're doing not so well so you would better not order from us as you may not get your product.. ???

's not going to happen...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~