Conway Stewart In Administration!

Tancred

Bad news folks! :bawl:

I have been told by a very reliable source that Conway Stewart Manufacturing Ltd (the new company formed at the end of 2010) has gone into administration at the end of August.

This time it really looks like the end of the road.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• RMN

• Tancred

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I wonder what this will mean for Onoto, as Alistair stepped in only a few months ago.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hmmm. I wonder what this will mean for Onoto, as Alistair stepped in only a few months ago.

D.ick

I don't think it will affect Onoto. The two companies didn't seem to be linked apart from Alistair's involvement in both of them.

D.ick

This affects only Conway Stewart. Onoto is another business entity and the administration does not apply to them.

Given the high prices and (according to many threads on FPN) poor QC and poor service, it is not too surprising.

High end = high prices - what do you expect? And I don't agree about poor QC and service. Every CS pen I've owned has been great.

I don't think it will affect Onoto. The two companies didn't seem to be linked apart from Alistair's involvement in both of them.

This affects only Conway Stewart. Onoto is another business entity and the administration does not apply to them.

I know, but I think it will affect Alistair, and perhaps through that Onoto. Sincerely hope not.

D.ick

~

~

I agree, Tancred, I did not get one pen from CS that not has been perfect. And service always has been good

Almost agree. I had one pen that blobbed a bit, but that was remedied perfectly. And after my Winston took a fall it was repaired quickly and at reasonable price.

Just, like many other brands, you should not use converters with CS. At least, I have always problems with bubbles. I don't like bubbles, no bubbly wine, no bubbly ink.... ;)

D.ick

~

~

I agree, Tancred, I did not get one pen from CS that not has been perfect. And service always has been good

You're very lucky to be able to state that. I was one of the unlucky ones that had to keep on sending pens back to CS because they didn't work. The usual problem was a flow issue with the pens drying up after a page or less of writing. If you check the forum you will see many cases of flow issues with CS so in my opinion their Quality Control was very poor.

Emails to the company were also a hit or miss situation. On several occasions I emailed the lady at CS who I was told to make contact with - no answer.

My views of CS are - lovely pens BUT be wary of buying as they more often than not, did not work.

ugh

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

Sad news. As you may be able to judge from my avatar, I'm a huge CS fan. While I own only one of the new - i.e., currently produced - pens (a Model 58), I've been ogling others (especially the Winston and even the Coronet). And I have a half-dozen vintage pens, each of which writes beautifully. Moreover, I enjoy the Diamine-produced CS inks, too. I hope a buyer can rescue the brand. But I have no business sense, so maybe that's impossible!

Sad, but then CS has a history of going into administration (I know it is not the same company). We can only hope that a buyer can be found. I have never had a bad pen and they did a wonderful job in servicing my Rolls Royce Phantom Silver Duro.

Peter

This is sad news. I have a couple CS pens that needed some nib tuning when first received, and all but two of my modern ones have had nib customization. They are among my favorite pens for both appearance and the pleasure of writing.

David

You're very lucky to be able to state that. I was one of the unlucky ones that had to keep on sending pens back to CS because they didn't work. The usual problem was a flow issue with the pens drying up after a page or less of writing. If you check the forum you will see many cases of flow issues with CS so in my opinion their Quality Control was very poor.

Emails to the company were also a hit or miss situation. On several occasions I emailed the lady at CS who I was told to make contact with - no answer.

My views of CS are - lovely pens BUT be wary of buying as they more often than not, did not work.

Hmmm. I think there have been QC issues in the past, but I found that recently things had improved. Or so I thought.

More to the point, I would be interested to know why CS is back in administration after such a short time since the last time. It doesn't bode well for the future even if CS finds a buyer.

Hmmm. I think there have been QC issues in the past, but I found that recently things had improved. Or so I thought.

More to the point, I would be interested to know why CS is back in administration after such a short time since the last time. It doesn't bode well for the future even if CS finds a buyer.

This is my review of a recent production Belliver. QC problems were obvious.

I like the pen, and am sad (but not really surprised) to hear of their situation.

I can't judge overall CS quality from the one pen I have from them, a nice lever-filler Churchill with a smooth broad nib, but it's certainly bad news. Thankfully there are many pens around (including ones made by CS) and judging by the shrinking number of fountain pen users they might be enough to last us until the end of time.