Pilot Custom 823

lehrer07

yes good deals on jsub culture

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• lehrer07

• Blue_Moon

• maverink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes i got one from rakuten sometime back below 200 usd shipped no need to wait for massdrop go to jsubculture or rakuten n buy the 823 with nib of your choice

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

• 4 weeks later...

i bought a clear 823 from another member here on fpn

i love this pen

it is well balanced (i use it unposted) and the weight is perfect

it is just so well made

filling requires a little practice but it is fairly robust when you get the hang of it

i find the fine nib a little too fine and would like a medium but it is difficult to get extra nibs so think carefully before you choose what nib you want

i would really like to get a medium and have it made into a stub or cursive medium fine point

some day

i suspect the nib would cost about half the price of a new pen (if you can even find one) so might as well buy another pen is what everyone seems to say

just a really terrific pen

• 2 months later...

I have this pen and do think it's amazing but I never use it much. I wonder why. Maybe because I got the M nib which is a bit too broad for me, or maybe because the colors are somewhat strange for me - I also prefer black/rhodium, it goes with my steel wrist watch.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

This was one of my favorite pens. I've used it for almost 2 years as my EDC pen. However, a few weeks ago the barrel cracked when I was refilling the pen. I've never taken it apart or tried any self-maintenance at the pen. Sending in for service soon, so I hope everything will work out.

This was one of my favorite pens. I've used it for almost 2 years as my EDC pen. However, a few weeks ago the barrel cracked when I was refilling the pen. I've never taken it apart or tried any self-maintenance at the pen. Sending in for service soon, so I hope everything will work out.

That happened to me, too. I think that had a lot to do with skipping and hard starting. I sent it in and since it was > 2 yrs old they told me that I had to pay (I forget but it was around $150 to have it fixed). I raised cain (told them that my cracked TWSBI replaced parts for free and told them I was on FPN) and magically they fixed it for me and sent it back. I had no idea that the barrel had cracked though. I had not dropped it or harmed it, so it might be the same problem as TWSBI, just a quirk in the material.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Thanks, I think the photos captured the pen very well. I had a VAC 700 and was kinda doubtful about these types of fillers due to poor experience with them, eg dry, having to unscrew it all the time,not being able to fully fill the ink reservoir, and leaky ink from the back....

How have your experiences been after having this for awhile ? Trying to decide between this and the pelikan m200 cognac which is much smaller in size which has prevented me from buying it for now

Thanks, I think the photos captured the pen very well. I had a VAC 700 and was kinda doubtful about these types of fillers due to poor experience with them, eg dry, having to unscrew it all the time,not being able to fully fill the ink reservoir, and leaky ink from the back....

How have your experiences been after having this for awhile ? Trying to decide between this and the pelikan m200 cognac which is much smaller in size which has prevented me from buying it for now

I love the 823 and just ordered another clear model from Japan.

Like you I keep hesitating on the M200 because of the size.

The 823 fits my hand just about perfectly.

Though, I know the 200 is a great pen.

I love the 823 and just ordered another clear model from Japan.

Like you I keep hesitating on the M200 because of the size.

The 823 fits my hand just about perfectly.

Though, I know the 200 is a great pen.

The 823 is my most recent pen, and i´m fighting the urge to order one more. Glorious pen imho. What nib did you order this time?

The 823 is my most recent pen, and i´m fighting the urge to order one more. Glorious pen imho. What nib did you order this time?

Broad.

See this lovely review of the medium and the broad by saskia madding

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/199360-pilot-custom-823-nib-medium-vs-broad/

She seems to say that they are very close in width, though the broad is obviously wider.

I will be sending mine off to have it either stubbed or ci'ed down to about a .6 or .7 line.

I really like the all-clear version vs the amber.

• 6 months later...

Could anyone advise where the best place to buy a Custom 823, for a UK resident.

Google always takes me back to Japanese vendors on eBay or Amazon both around £150 delivered, obviously both carry likelihood of VAT being added as they enter the UK.

I don't have issue with eBay or Amazon, but is there anything better?

Best regards,

Chris

Could anyone advise where the best place to buy a Custom 823, for a UK resident.

Google always takes me back to Japanese vendors on eBay or Amazon both around £150 delivered, obviously both carry likelihood of VAT being added as they enter the UK.

I don't have issue with eBay or Amazon, but is there anything better?

Best regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I don't live in the U.K. (I live in S.E. Asia) but I can say that generally Pilot sells pens outside of Japan with a steep mark-up. You might find a local source that has a stated policy of at-least meeting competing prices, even from the Internet. This would be a good time to put that policy to the test.

I just buy my Japanese pens direct from Japan. I usually buy from www.Engeika.com (Taizo Okagaki). Shipping is via tracked EMS mail and is usually pretty quick. Taizo will stand by the warranty.

The only issue I have had with Engeika is that occasionally if a pen is not in-stock there could be a rather long wait as it is made at the factory, and communication during that period can be sparse. So get a quote first to make sure the pen is ready to ship. Also the price from Engeika might be slightly higher than some Japanese outlets, but usually not enough to matter.

Right now the Pilot Custom Heritage 823 in Black or Amber from Engeika will cost you $215.10 USD with another $13.00 for the tracked shipping to EU/UK.

Here's the link:

http://www.engeika.com/product-group/43

Regards, David

Hi Chris,

I don't live in the U.K. (I live in S.E. Asia) but I can say that generally Pilot sells pens outside of Japan with a steep mark-up. You might find a local source that has a stated policy of at-least meeting competing prices, even from the Internet. This would be a good time to put that policy to the test.

I just buy my Japanese pens direct from Japan. I usually buy from www.Engeika.com (Taizo Okagaki). Shipping is via tracked EMS mail and is usually pretty quick. Taizo will stand by the warranty.

The only issue I have had with Engeika is that occasionally if a pen is not in-stock there could be a rather long wait as it is made at the factory, and communication during that period can be sparse. So get a quote first to make sure the pen is ready to ship. Also the price from Engeika might be slightly higher than some Japanese outlets, but usually not enough to matter.

Right now the Pilot Custom Heritage 823 in Black or Amber from Engeika will cost you $215.10 USD with another $13.00 for the tracked shipping to EU/UK.

Here's the link:

http://www.engeika.com/product-group/43

Regards, David

Thanks David, thats helpful to have a tried and trusted vendor to consider

Twice I have logged on to Rakuten to buy an 823

Both times ended up buying a CH912.

The nib options get me each time. "let's find out what a factory Pilot stub is like..." "Oh a soft medium .... & it is cheaper than the 823 ...." , "a Falcon nib ..." , "oh look a BB we can stub ..." "Woah, Music nib!..."

and then the money is gone and no 823.

I keep swearing that the next one is going to be the 823.

I think if they had all the nib options of the CH743 or the CH912 or the C74 we'd be in business, not that there is anything wrong with the stock F, M, B nibs but it is hard to go back to that after the choices you get on other models despite my hot burning love for Vac fillers (don't ask me how many Sheaffer Vacs I have).

I even love the Amber plastic ....

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Twice I have logged on to Rakuten to buy an 823

Both times ended up buying a CH912.

The nib options get me each time. "let's find out what a factory Pilot stub is like..." "Oh a soft medium .... & it is cheaper than the 823 ...." , "a Falcon nib ..." , "oh look a BB we can stub ..." "Woah, Music nib!..."

and then the money is gone and no 823.

I keep swearing that the next one is going to be the 823.

I think if they had all the nib options of the CH743 or the CH912 or the C74 we'd be in business, not that there is anything wrong with the stock F, M, B nibs but it is hard to go back to that after the choices you get on other models despite my hot burning love for Vac fillers (don't ask me how many Sheaffer Vacs I have).

I even love the Amber plastic ....

Maybe you could swap nibs between CH743 and 823?

Yeah. sure. I know folks do that, but who wants to buy 2 pens to get the pen they want and then get a pen and a nib they don't that they want that they would then have to sell. That is a drag. esp. when the CH912 is such a nice pen anyway, has the same size section as the 823 and comes with literally the most nibs Pilot offers, a con70 for $127 from Japan. I know some Japan on line dealers were doing this too.

I wished I worked for Pilot. heh.

Maybe you could swap nibs between CH743 and 823?

Yeah. sure. I know folks do that, but who wants to buy 2 pens to get the pen they want and then get a pen and a nib they don't that they want that they would then have to sell. That is a drag. esp. when the CH912 is such a nice pen anyway, has the same size section as the 823 and comes with literally the most nibs Pilot offers, a con70 for $127 from Japan. I know some Japan on line dealers were doing this too.

Yeah, the way Pilot markets their pens and nibs is extremely frustrating (and it costs them money too). Supposedly all the #15 nibs that are available for the CH743 will just drop in to the CH823 and the CH 845, but nooooo - Pilot won't do that!

Here's a link that compares all the the pen and nib options in the Custom Heritage series. But the nib table is getting a bit out of date. I check the listings on Engeika to verify the latest nib options as Taizo lists them all plus the pen part numbers. This is still a decent comparison page though...

http://kmpn.blogspot.ca/2011/06/pilot-custom.html

Yeah, the way Pilot markets their pens and nibs is extremely frustrating

& of course the inexplicably dull designs and limited number of finishes, etc. (both my 912s are black & white metal, yawn).

But those are minor black marks against, what I think is the best pen company on this little blue marble. For quality, Quality Control, value, they just can't be topped. You have to put up a lot more lettuce to get a better pen. My 912s compare favorably to pens twice the price. Great reliable writers and at current prices worth every penny. A C74 SM with a Con70 is a fireball of a everyday workhorse pen, for what 80 skins? Hats off to Pilot. I wish every pen company was this good.

I addition, most of what they have are....black torpedoes. They could try to do something different.

Isn't there a way to purchase the nibs alone?

Edited by fjf

The 823 is available with a couple of non-standard nib choices, I got an FA nib 823 from here:

http://www.japanshop-quill.com/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300478-review-pilot-custom-823-with-fa-nib/