Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• lehrer07

• Blue_Moon

• maverink

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is it really so back heavy pen?

I do not post my pens, so I would agree with the others. It is well-balanced.

• 3 months later...

I have a serious question about this pen. If you have the valve open and write continuously for several paragraphs, or maybe a full page, does the feed start to run dry?

I've seen this happen with both of my TWSBI Vac 700s, which required me to shake them a bit or jiggle the filler knob to get ink flowing again. I blamed the Vac 700's design, but then found that something similar happened with one of my vintage (1940s) Sheaffer Triumph vac-fillers. So I thought, maybe this flow problem is just endemic to vac-fill pens in general?

[EDIT: Whoops. This post (ie. my response) is entirely redundant. I forgot to notice that the thread continued. I also forgot to note that this thread was a few months old. Now, back to our originally scheduled program: END EDIT]

Indeed. From everything I have read and watched, the "screwed tight" position (of the plunger controller) creates an ink-tight seal between the nib/feed section and the barrel of the pen. Thus, the advice to unscrew the plunger cap when writing for long periods. It is precisely this ink-tight seal that makes the pen appealing for those who fly regularly.

Qualifier: I do not own any Vac pens. I may try to get a Vac-700 sometime in 2015. The 823 is one of my Grail Pens. In the meantime, I spend entirely too much time learning more than I should about pens I can't afford.

Cheers.

Edited by Fozziebear

My ink-swap post(s) become out of date eventually. My signature is always current. If you want to swap some ink, here's what I have: Diamine: Ancient Copper, Oxblood, Poppy Red, Red Dragon, Sherwood Green; Iroshizuku: Kon-peki, Ku-jaku, Take-sumi; Noodlers: 54th Mass, BSB, Purple Martin, X-Feather, Widow Maker; Private Reserve: Blue Suede. I'm partial to highly saturated inks, but am open to suggestions. PM if interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice review and great photos.

I bought an 823C shortly after they were introduced, and have never regretted the purchase for a moment. It's also my personal favorite as a travel pen. It holds a ton of ink, and can handle pressurized aircraft as well as un-pressurized small aircraft. I keep it filled with Namiki/Pilot blue ink which is nearly bulletproof, so it's always ready to go. Now I just need a larger budget so I can be ready to go too...

The pen came out around 2000, yes? So you've had it for over a decade? How is it holding up? I've seen a few posts with cracked barrels and while this may be from disassembling and over-tightening the pen, I wonder if cracking happens with regular use after several years.

"I have nixed all Noodler's inks in large part because of their feel, but also their behavior, etc. When I put Iroshizuku or Sailor ink into my pens, it's like the ink, pen, and paper are having a 3-some with smooth 'n sultry 70's jazz playing in the background." ~ Betweenthelines

The pen came out around 2000, yes? So you've had it for over a decade? How is it holding up? I've seen a few posts with cracked barrels and while this may be from disassembling and over-tightening the pen, I wonder if cracking happens with regular use after several years.

In my case: I've had an 823 for at least 5 years, in daily use- several falls from shirt pocket to desk or floor; dozens of airplane flights; countless fills, etc.

I don't understand the need to disassemble this pen for cleaning. For me, the need to run the filler through a number of cycles in water to flush it is not a burden/ hassle. Taking this pen apart (or most modern pens) is a case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should."

My smoke 823 has no cracks, leaks or issues. I just acquired an example of the "clear" version of this pen, and will be caring for it exactly the same way.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

In my case: I've had an 823 for at least 5 years, in daily use- several falls from shirt pocket to desk or floor; dozens of airplane flights; countless fills, etc.

I don't understand the need to disassemble this pen for cleaning. For me, the need to run the filler through a number of cycles in water to flush it is not a burden/ hassle. Taking this pen apart (or most modern pens) is a case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should."

My smoke 823 has no cracks, leaks or issues. I just acquired an example of the "clear" version of this pen, and will be caring for it exactly the same way.

Best Regards, greg

Glad yours been going strong these past years :) I've dissemble practically all of my pens (excluding removing the feeds of my Lamy Safari and Studio). I'm the kind of person that likes to take their pens apart and give them a thorough cleaning, but I will definitely try to fight the urge with the 823.

I've heard the grease at either end of the barrel stains with ink. Is this the case with yours or do the stains eventually disappear?

"I have nixed all Noodler's inks in large part because of their feel, but also their behavior, etc. When I put Iroshizuku or Sailor ink into my pens, it's like the ink, pen, and paper are having a 3-some with smooth 'n sultry 70's jazz playing in the background." ~ Betweenthelines

I have seen this wiith my pens, but on my smoke pen it is very hard to see. I suspect this will be more so on the clear 823. We'll see... ;)

greg

the point of taking the pen apart is more about lubrication than cleaning out some annoying ink.

I will admit I do not know what lubricant pilot uses in the 823, but even if it's a very good synthetic type breaking the pen down once every few years and relubricating it with a similarly high quality lubricant is highly advisable. Pens are simple; just keep the pieces that rub against each other properly lubricated and not only CAN they last a lifetime they will do so without any degradation to their function.

If I still have mine in 2018 I will do so myself. The frequency is probably not so important, I just dont think once every 4-5 years is that big of a burden.

Edited by redisburning

I don't doubt that the reduction of lubrication occurs over time, and is needed _eventually_.

However,but I attribute a big part of that to the recent use of the kinds of solutions (Pen Flushes, etc.) that become necessary with the modern super saturated/ sheen/ glittery inks.

Pens of even 10 years ago never needed this kind of user-based deconstruction. I mean no offense to any pen user, or even ink or pen flush maker, but I think we're seeing cases of many folks who are frequently assembling/ disassembling their pens without sufficient mechanical aptitude necessary to do so in a way to keep their pens intact.

One does not need to spend much time on this/ these boards to read posts of folks who are disassembling/ relubing their pens as part of each change of ink colors.

Best Regards, greg

• 2 weeks later...

Voted :thumbup:

The Massdrop for the Pilot Custom 823 is stalled at 175/200. They won't contact the manufacturer for a group buy unless they get 200 votes. If interested, please vote at https://www.massdrop.com/vote/pilot-custom-823. Thanks!

So, exactly how does that work? Say I want the broad nib. Can I get it, or does everyone have to go with the same nib? I've never even heard of Massdrop before.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Voted but I suspect the imports are significantly cheaper.

That's exactly what I was thinking. In the US, the 823 retails at around $280.00 dollars ($288.00 currently on Goulet). You can get an import on eBay between $210.00 - $250.00. I doubt the price would come all the way down to $210.00, and, if so, I really don't think it would beat that price. We'll see what happens.

So, exactly how does that work? Say I want the broad nib. Can I get it, or does everyone have to go with the same nib? I've never even heard of Massdrop before.

The best way to see how Massdrop works is to check it out, and have a look at the way they structure some of the group buys. To answer your specific question, though, there is normally a range of options for whatever pen is being sold - two or more colours (if applicable), and a selection of nib sizes. This does vary from one 'drop' to the next, though - sometimes there's only one configuration available, sometimes there are limited options or limited stock... I've bought two pens (a Karas Kustoms INK and a Pilot Vanishing Point), both well below retail price, plus a J. Herbin blotter kit, plus a cotton spooling thingy (for my better half). Delivery times can be slow, but the price advantage is often (not always) worth the wait.

Edited by Jamerelbe

The best way to see how Massdrop works is to check it out, and have a look at the way they structure some of the group buys. To answer your specific question, though, there is normally a range of options for whatever pen is being sold - two or more colours (if applicable), and a selection of nib sizes. This does vary from one 'drop' to the next, though - sometimes there's only one configuration available, sometimes there are limited options or limited stock... I've bought two pens (a Karas Kustoms INK and a Pilot Vanishing Point), both well below retail price, plus a J. Herbin blotter kit, plus a cotton spooling thingy (for my better half). Delivery times can be slow, but the price advantage is often (not always) worth the wait.

That's exactly what I was thinking. In the US, the 823 retails at around $280.00 dollars ($288.00 currently on Goulet). You can get an import on eBay between $210.00 - $250.00. I doubt the price would come all the way down to $210.00, and, if so, I really don't think it would beat that price. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the reply, jamerelbe! I know it's a "not always" type of a situation, but, in your experience, do you think the price may be below $210.00?

Thanks for the reply, jamerelbe! I know it's a "not always" type of a situation, but, in your experience, do you think the price may be below $210.00?

I know that the Lamy 2000 (in makrolon) is going for $115, as compared to the usual retail (e.g. at Goulet Pens) of $159. The Vanishing Point I got (I think) for $105, compared with an online retail price of $140 - they were going for around the same price on Amazon.com at thze time. Proportionally, I suppose $210 for a Pilot Custom 823 is possible, but likely? I honestly couldn't say!

That said, one additional advantage (if the price is *almost* right) is that pens purchased from Massdrop come from a US supplier/distributor. No help to me over here in Aus, but in the US it's certainly more straightforward if you have a warranty issue.

That said, one additional advantage (if the price is *almost* right) is that pens purchased from Massdrop come from a US supplier/distributor. No help to me over here in Aus, but in the US it's certainly more straightforward if you have a warranty issue.

That is certainly true. Thanks!