The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Some Bayard Pens

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2014 - 20:20

I`m looking for quite some time for a restored safety pen & hope that it eventually ends up being a Bayard!

Maybe amateur35 has one on offer at some point. Unfortunately he never describes the nibs very well & the photos are not that good.

I think amateur25 has a safety in his recent listings. Go check. I've never had a clunker of a nib when buying from him. I am fairly certain he would give a more detailed description, if asked.

Sponsored Content

#42 Polanova

Polanova

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2014 - 21:10

I think amateur25 has a safety in his recent listings. Go check. I've never had a clunker of a nib when buying from him. I am fairly certain he would give a more detailed description, if asked.

I´m just waiting for the right one  :)  (black, clip- and goldless & not too small)

(actually I`ve mailed him once with a specific wish list reg. Safeties & he promised to get back to me but didn`t. I would`ve stayed in contact but got distracted by some other pen  :rolleyes: )

#43 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2014 - 19:12

I´m just waiting for the right one  :)  (black, clip- and goldless & not too small)

(actually I`ve mailed him once with a specific wish list reg. Safeties & he promised to get back to me but didn`t. I would`ve stayed in contact but got distracted by some other pen  :rolleyes:)

If I hear of anything, I'll let you know.

#44 longhandwriter

longhandwriter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:41

I have always wanted to own a Bayard, so here we go. Just arrived today, and so completely unrestored as yet, a circa 1938 Bayard Le niveauclair 838 with hooded nib. The ink sac is missing, and I'm presuming that it must have been a concertina type, and the pen will need a general tidy up, but all in all it's not in too bad a condition for a pen from this era. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns this model and can describe or post any pictures of a complete filling system.

Attached Images

• IMG_2380.jpg
  • IMG_2381.jpg
  • IMG_2384.jpg

Edited by longhandwriter, 15 October 2014 - 13:17.

#45 jebib111

jebib111

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 14:49

That Doric sorta lookin model is really something special!  I'm an easy sell for French Vintage Pens, though.

#46 jjlax10

jjlax10

Nib Maven

• Member - Gold

• 815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2014 - 22:12

I have always wanted to own a Bayard, so here we go. Just arrived today, and so completely unrestored as yet, a circa 1938 Bayard Le niveauclair 838 with hooded nib. The ink sac is missing, and I'm presuming that it must have been a concertina type, and the pen will need a general tidy up, but all in all it's not in too bad a condition for a pen from this era. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns this model and can describe or post any pictures of a complete filling system.

It might be an accordion filler.  Stick the nib end in water, pump the back and see if it sucks in water.

President, Big Apple Pen Club
Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.
www.jjlaxpenco.com On Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

#47 longhandwriter

longhandwriter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:17

It might be an accordion filler.  Stick the nib end in water, pump the back and see if it sucks in water.

I've hunted through the web and found similar models fitted with, as I suspected, a concertina shaped ink sac. My pen doesn't have the sac but it has the sac protector and the push button for it, so hopefully I can have it restored to working condition. I'll do some of the work myself but finding an ink sac to fit might be a bit of a problem. I'll post further on this topic when I have made progress

#48 betweenthelens

betweenthelens

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,383 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:00

Congratulations. I have two Niveauclairs and they're wonderful pens. Mine do not have the hooded nibs. There were quite a few variations on the Niveauclair. It more than likely has an accordion filler but I've never taken mine apart as I purchased the first one in restored condition and the second was gifted to me in working order.

#49 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:54

I've hunted through the web and found similar models fitted with, as I suspected, a concertina shaped ink sac. My pen doesn't have the sac but it has the sac protector and the push button for it, so hopefully I can have it restored to working condition. I'll do some of the work myself but finding an ink sac to fit might be a bit of a problem. I'll post further on this topic when I have made progress

It is indeed a concertine shape sac.

You will be able to adapt the concertina shaped sacs from some models of Stylomine 303

*What is the model on your avatar, please?

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

#50 AdeVT

AdeVT

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:48

I have a Dauphin de Bayard dating from the 1960s.  It was originally fitted with an accordion sac but has been restored with a standard straight sac.  Therefore it does not fill very efficiently but the nib is a very nice 18k flexible medium.  I would welcome any information about this pen.  I know that getting the correct type of sac is all but impossible

#51 longhandwriter

longhandwriter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:16

I saw a great article on Facebook recently by David Nishimura about concertina fillers. I think he suggested in the article that he may be getting concertina sacs into stock. Suggest that you contact him to confirm that I did not dream this.

Good luck

#52 Polanova

Polanova

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2017 - 20:15

You could just snip the end of a regular rubber sac, thereby creating a rubber tube, one end of which can be than shellacked to the nipple & the other end to the glass or, in your case, the plastic cartridge/bottle.

The trick is to select the widest sac possible and to make sure that it`s properly shellacked to the bottle.

You`ll also need the little metal ring (thin wire could be used i suppose) in order to really squeeze the rubber sac firmly unto the cartridge.

One of my more successful repairs fills as much ink as an accordion sac (and that`s a lot).

#53 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2017 - 18:08

I have just received my first Bayard pen. A black cigar shaped le 4 de in almost mint condition. The clip has kind of double V on it. The nib is a #36 18ct and has a cross with letters P and F on the sides.

A beautiful pen indeed. The nib is semi flex. I have already disassembled the pen and trying to remove the hardened and ossified sac from inside the pen barrel. Cant wait to resac it and start using it.

Edited by mitto, 06 September 2017 - 18:12.

Khan M. Ilyas

Sponsored Content

|