Some Bayard Pens

fountainpagan

I`m looking for quite some time for a restored safety pen & hope that it eventually ends up being a Bayard!

Maybe amateur35 has one on offer at some point. Unfortunately he never describes the nibs very well & the photos are not that good.

I think amateur25 has a safety in his recent listings. Go check. I've never had a clunker of a nib when buying from him. I am fairly certain he would give a more detailed description, if asked.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpagan

• Polanova

• betweenthelens

• amk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think amateur25 has a safety in his recent listings. Go check. I've never had a clunker of a nib when buying from him. I am fairly certain he would give a more detailed description, if asked.

I´m just waiting for the right one :) (black, clip- and goldless & not too small)

(actually I`ve mailed him once with a specific wish list reg. Safeties & he promised to get back to me but didn`t. I would`ve stayed in contact but got distracted by some other pen :rolleyes: )

I´m just waiting for the right one :) (black, clip- and goldless & not too small)

(actually I`ve mailed him once with a specific wish list reg. Safeties & he promised to get back to me but didn`t. I would`ve stayed in contact but got distracted by some other pen :rolleyes:)

If I hear of anything, I'll let you know.

I have always wanted to own a Bayard, so here we go. Just arrived today, and so completely unrestored as yet, a circa 1938 Bayard Le niveauclair 838 with hooded nib. The ink sac is missing, and I'm presuming that it must have been a concertina type, and the pen will need a general tidy up, but all in all it's not in too bad a condition for a pen from this era. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns this model and can describe or post any pictures of a complete filling system.

post-56200-0-98310300-1413376839.jpg

post-56200-0-71499200-1413376840.jpg

post-56200-0-40192500-1413376841.jpg

Edited by longhandwriter

I have always wanted to own a Bayard, so here we go. Just arrived today, and so completely unrestored as yet, a circa 1938 Bayard Le niveauclair 838 with hooded nib. The ink sac is missing, and I'm presuming that it must have been a concertina type, and the pen will need a general tidy up, but all in all it's not in too bad a condition for a pen from this era. I'd like to hear from anyone who owns this model and can describe or post any pictures of a complete filling system.

It might be an accordion filler. Stick the nib end in water, pump the back and see if it sucks in water.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

It might be an accordion filler. Stick the nib end in water, pump the back and see if it sucks in water.

I've hunted through the web and found similar models fitted with, as I suspected, a concertina shaped ink sac. My pen doesn't have the sac but it has the sac protector and the push button for it, so hopefully I can have it restored to working condition. I'll do some of the work myself but finding an ink sac to fit might be a bit of a problem. I'll post further on this topic when I have made progress

Congratulations. I have two Niveauclairs and they're wonderful pens. Mine do not have the hooded nibs. There were quite a few variations on the Niveauclair. It more than likely has an accordion filler but I've never taken mine apart as I purchased the first one in restored condition and the second was gifted to me in working order.

I've hunted through the web and found similar models fitted with, as I suspected, a concertina shaped ink sac. My pen doesn't have the sac but it has the sac protector and the push button for it, so hopefully I can have it restored to working condition. I'll do some of the work myself but finding an ink sac to fit might be a bit of a problem. I'll post further on this topic when I have made progress

It is indeed a concertine shape sac.

You will be able to adapt the concertina shaped sacs from some models of Stylomine 303

*What is the model on your avatar, please?

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

• 2 years later...

I have a Dauphin de Bayard dating from the 1960s. It was originally fitted with an accordion sac but has been restored with a standard straight sac. Therefore it does not fill very efficiently but the nib is a very nice 18k flexible medium. I would welcome any information about this pen. I know that getting the correct type of sac is all but impossible

I saw a great article on Facebook recently by David Nishimura about concertina fillers. I think he suggested in the article that he may be getting concertina sacs into stock. Suggest that you contact him to confirm that I did not dream this.

Good luck

You could just snip the end of a regular rubber sac, thereby creating a rubber tube, one end of which can be than shellacked to the nipple & the other end to the glass or, in your case, the plastic cartridge/bottle.

The trick is to select the widest sac possible and to make sure that it`s properly shellacked to the bottle.

You`ll also need the little metal ring (thin wire could be used i suppose) in order to really squeeze the rubber sac firmly unto the cartridge.

One of my more successful repairs fills as much ink as an accordion sac (and that`s a lot).

• 7 months later...

I have just received my first Bayard pen. A black cigar shaped le 4 de in almost mint condition. The clip has kind of double V on it. The nib is a #36 18ct and has a cross with letters P and F on the sides.

A beautiful pen indeed. The nib is semi flex. I have already disassembled the pen and trying to remove the hardened and ossified sac from inside the pen barrel. Cant wait to resac it and start using it.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas