Getting From Here ....

DrCodfish

... to there.

I recently purchased a beautiful NOS Parker 45, dark green, brushed stainless steel cap and farily flexy 14K gold nib, circa 1967. I decided to ink and use it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34372195@N02/14882101448/in/photostream/

I was a little dissappointed with how flexible this nib was. I'm a lefty over writer and so the nib just does not work very well for me on my verticals (down strokes all). A couple moths ago I sent a P45 with a big broad nib to Danny Fudge and had him grind it to stub. It came back a terrific writer, this was peraps one fo the best FP investments I have made in quite a while (sometimes lucky trumps smart). Rather than have my new pen languish in the box I'd like to get a replacement B nib and have it ground by Mr Fudge, with the hopes that this new pen iqwoould be as much of a joy to write with as the other.

Where can I turn to purchase a broad nib for the new P45? I would be happy to trade the gold nib, it will never be of any use to me as is. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PS Apologies for the Flickr link, I don't seem to know the secret handshake for posting pics, help there would also be appreciated.

Best,

Paul

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrCodfish

• OcalaFlGuy

• RMN

• my63

Top Posters In This Topic

The Flickr link does not show any photograph, just advertisements for their service.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Really? That is strange, because when I click on it, a pic of the pen comes up. I am really sorry, I am such a tech boob.

How bout this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34372195@N02/14882101448/

This link works fine. Showing a black P45.

D.ick

~

~

Paul,

Ernesto Soler (parker51.com) sometimes has B's available. I don't see any on his site at the moment, but he may have one he'd sell you.

Also check with Greg Minuskin (Gregminuskin.com) he may have one, but he will probably want to do the grind on it, too, (he;s very good).

Five Star Pens (Fivestarpens.com) has NOS steel nibs available for $12.00. As a fellow lefty, the stubbed steel nib should write no differently than a gold one.

Lastly, there's always eBay. Patience and Persistence Pays.

Good Luck, Clayton

P.S.-on the pic posting: At the bottom of the post window =More Reply Options scroll to the bottom where it says Attach Files. Choose file lets you find image file on your computer. Attach File lets you upload it, and Add File to Post lets you insert it into the post. Preview your post and you should see the image embedded in the message :)

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

<snip>

Good Luck, Clayton

P.S.-on the pic posting: At the bottom of the post window =More Reply Options scroll to the bottom where it says Attach Files. Choose file lets you find image file on your computer. Attach File lets you upload it, and Add File to Post lets you insert it into the post. Preview your post and you should see the image embedded in the message :)

Thats the quick and dirty pic-posting. However there is a maximum storage there of 50 MB.

For unlimited storage (only limit is a maximum picsize of about 1MB) use the UPLOAD tab top right of the page. It opens a new window where you can upload many pics and use in your posts later.

D.ick

~

~

Thanks for the tips gents. I knew there was more than one door into the secret room. It's been a while since I've had any post worthy pics and I guess we have to change the protocols (flickr and FPN) every so often just because. I have tried both of the methods you have mentioned but still had no success, I'll keep poking around just to keep my background frustration level in the warm zone. I made my plea on the 'how to post a photo' thread and got some detailed hand holding there. A tutorial would be nice but with so many different ways to be successful I suppose keeing that current might be a full time job.

As for the nib, I had checked the 5 Star and Pendemonium websites but didn't see anything promising. I have had Mr Minuskin work on a number of pens and I have bought a fist full from him, but I didn't think of him as a source for spare nibs. I am not sure if the nib that Mr Fudge worked over for me was gold or gold colored steel but since flex is not my friend, I don't have a strong position in the gold V steel controversy. I will check with Ernesto, but would appreciate any tips if you come upon them.

Thanks again,

Paul

I think I saw a broad nib unit up on Ebay at the moment. But I don't know if it got sold (there were two -- a regular broad and and an oblique broad -- from the same seller and one got sold). No affiliation, other than I was watching the two listings myself.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think I saw a broad nib unit up on Ebay at the moment. But I don't know if it got sold (there were two -- a regular broad and and an oblique broad -- from the same seller and one got sold). No affiliation, other than I was watching the two listings myself.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks Ruth. I guess I may have to wade in to that morass. I have made purchases on Ebay but I'm an Ebay klutz.

Thanks Michael, that looks like just the ticket.

In fact, I ordered one of those nibs later that night. I dragged myself home from a rather grueling road trip late yesterday, but took the time to stop by the village Post Office and to my surprise (I had forgotten all about this) there nestled among the bills and third class drek was the envelope with my new nib in it! It is steel not gold but that is fine with me. Now to bundle it up and send it off to Mr Fudge to work his magic.

• 1 month later...

<Sam Kennison in "Back to School"> I like the way you think. <Sam Kennison in "Back to School"/>

Mine is ground from a 14k Medium.

2012-04-23_16-26-10_516.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

PS; I think that Pendemonium still has the cheapest grind, about $25 + shipping back to you.

Their nib tech, Letta, ground nibs for Sheaffer for about 35 years.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

PS; I think that Pendemonium still has the cheapest grind, about $25 + shipping back to you.

Their nib tech, Letta, ground nibs for Sheaffer for about 35 years.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks for the tip, I will give them a try. I've had nib work done by a whole bunch of folks and truth be told all of them have done good to great work. I guess in some ways I'm a mongrel, I'm just interested in trying them all out. Cost is a factor though and I would say Mr. Fudge and Pendemonium are in the same bracket. fun stuff.