• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• de_pen_dent

• Keyless Works

• Sandy1

I find that Diamine inks are some of the best performers but I think some can be prone to staining and many are difficult to clean.

I'd also be curious as to which NibMeister is recommending Diamine, seems like they'd be against ink brands that don't make pens.

Far as cleaning, Diamine Syrah has always been a pain in the butt for me to clean completely, stains like crazy. I usually have to give a nib a good scrub with my finger to get it off the coating. (Seems to be best used with monotone gold nibs, as it sticks aggressively to anything else). Where as imperial blue, grey and salamander aren't so bad on the cleaning. Saddle brown was in between for me.

Pretty much the entire Iroshizuku line is extremely well behaved.

Waterman and Sheaffer Skrip as well - as to be expected from old-school ink makers.

Diamine is mostly well behaved although a few inks are a bit temperamental.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

I'd also be curious as to which NibMeister is recommending Diamine, seems like they'd be against ink brands that don't make pens.

Hello KBeezie,

One of the NibMeister's saying this is Richard Binder. In fact, when he was going out of the pen repairing business a couple of years ago, I called his shop and spoke to his wife Barbara directly; she told me personally that they recommend Waterman or Diamine inks - and that was all. :)

Best regards,

Chris

- He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me; and I in him. (JN 6:57)

- "A woman clothed in the sun," (REV 12.1); The Sun Danced at Fatima, Portugal; October 13, 1917.

- Thank you Blessed Mother and St. Jude for Graces and Blessings obtained from Our Lord.

Pretty much the entire Iroshizuku line is extremely well behaved.

Waterman and Sheaffer Skrip as well - as to be expected from old-school ink makers.

Diamine is mostly well behaved although a few inks are a bit temperamental.

I find both waterman and iroshizuku to be well-behaved, I only wish that the Iroshizuku inks were waterproof, especially Tsuki-yo, would be nice to have that waterproof.

Waterman Black is sort of water resistant (leaves behind a yellow halo, whereas most of my waterproof noodler's inks don't leave behind anything if they do run at all). But it is easy to clean out.

It's like I can have waterproof, but I'll have to spend more time cleaning it out when I need to, or I can forego waterproofing for easier clean.

Edited by KBeezie

Personally, I haven't really seen any value to waterproof inks as I rarely spill stuff on my notes and even if I do, most of what I write is not irreplacable.

For which I am glad, as Iros are my favorite inks. :)

Personally, I haven't really seen any value to waterproof inks as I rarely spill stuff on my notes and even if I do, most of what I write is not irreplacable.

For which I am glad, as Iros are my favorite inks. :)

:P 'rarely' or 'never' is actually besides the point since you never 'plan' to spill stuff on to documents any more than you plan for other people to do the same thing. And what about for situations where that signature may need to stay there regardless of water, bleach, etc? (I mean it's great when you know exactly when you need to, but it's not like you can be like, hold on, let me go get my waterproof pen for this).

:D No one ever plans to schedule a disaster, it just happens.

Much the same way I never plan for my battery or SD card to just suddenly fail on me in my camera, thus why I always have backup of those plus a backup of those in my bag. (not having a backup means not having a paycheck sometimes).

Edited by KBeezie

I sign checks and contracts as well as any work related items that cannot be digitally signed with ballpoint. Fountain pens aren't practical for cheap paper. They are like classic cars, when the conditions are right nothing is better but on a hot day in a street full of traffic they are terrible.

Same as most comments here already - Waterman, Iroshizuku, and many, but not all Diamine. That's disappointing about the comment regarding Diamine Syrah. I just ordered a bottle from Jet Pens. I guess I won't be using it in any demonstrators. Any thoughts about Diamine Oxblood? I bought a bottle of that too. I've used Oxblood from a sample before, and never noticed a problem.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

The new CARAN D'ache I tried washed out completely with just one rinse! Maybe you do get what you pay for with that one.

:P 'rarely' or 'never' is actually besides the point since you never 'plan' to spill stuff on to documents any more than you plan for other people to do the same thing. And what about for situations where that signature may need to stay there regardless of water, bleach, etc? (I mean it's great when you know exactly when you need to, but it's not like you can be like, hold on, let me go get my waterproof pen for this).

:D No one ever plans to schedule a disaster, it just happens.

Fair enough. Everyone has their own risk threshold.

In my case, I've been using fountain pens for nearly 35 years, starting with early school days and I have yet to regret not having waterproof ink.

So I am willing to live on the edge and enjoy my favourite inks. As I said, there is very little that is irreplaceable even if I were to spill ink on it. And if THAT comes to pass, c'est la vie.

Hello Suji,

In general, I'll echo the recommendations for Waterman, Quink and Sheaffer inks and I'll add J. Herbin. This is a pet-peeve of mine, too. ;)

Best regards,

Chris

J H Violette Pensee is not easy to clean out.

Fair enough. Everyone has their own risk threshold.

In my case, I've been using fountain pens for nearly 35 years, starting with early school days and I have yet to regret not having waterproof ink.

So I am willing to live on the edge and enjoy my favourite inks. As I said, there is very little that is irreplaceable even if I were to spill ink on it. And if THAT comes to pass, c'est la vie.

Thing is with me, other than a bunch of sample vials, I don't really relish the idea of having a lot of full bottles of inks. So if I had to use fewer inks in the long term, I'd rather they have decent water resistance given the choice.

As I read this, its clearly seen, that there are big variances even inside brands.

I absolutely surprised on Pelikan 4001 Violet, really easy to clean.

Have no problem with J. Herbin to clean out, and well: Diamine, its varies. Was a lots of work to clean Red Dragon, so bit afraid from cleaning after Syrah, and Oxblood (Syrah in use, and Oxblood is waiting to be used.)., but have no problem with Imperial Purple, and a few others, but reds maybe a bit more stuff... Except Matador, its just jumped out from the pen.

Also, I have wonderful cleaning experience with Sailor Jentle Blue-black.

I'm kind of OCD when it comes to cleaning not just my pens, but the syringe I use to mix colors and fill cartridges, vials, and eyedropper pens. The first rinse is always about 0.1ml, which goes into the pen, cartridge, or Nalgene vial that I'm filling. Recently I've used it to run Visconti Sepia and Sheaffer Slovenian Turquoise, both of which required relatively little rinsing to get out. Conversely, Noodler's Red-Black always takes forever to rinse clear, even when diluted.

Thing is with me, other than a bunch of sample vials, I don't really relish the idea of having a lot of full bottles of inks. So if I had to use fewer inks in the long term, I'd rather they have decent water resistance given the choice.

That makes sense. I am an ink ho, though :)

+1 for Herbin! Overall I've had a better experience (ease of cleaning and non staining) with Herbin as brand (I've tried about 2/3 of the shades) than all other brands I've used.

I find that Diamine inks are some of the best performers but I think some can be prone to staining and many are difficult to clean.

+1 and for some reason all the Diamine inks I enjoy using are the ones that have ended up being difficult to clean, so they are now reserved for c/c pens!

Richard Binder recommends Diamine and Waterman ink as the top of the heap.

now two of us have read this wise advice and taken it to heart...

:)