Pilot Metropolitan Cap Problems

Exchletzia

I have just recently purchased a Pilot Metro and almost immediately after I started using it the cap will no longer snap on correctly. I know it isn't a problem with the pen, but a problem with the cap because caps from other Metros will snap onto the pen, but this cap seems to be defective or otherwise no longer working properly. Does anyone happen to have experience with these problems and/or know how I can go about fixing it?

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Waukegan

• Sasha Royale

• Exchletzia

Where exactly did you get it ? *may request an exchange*

Usually what snaps onto the collar of the pen's barrel (ie: just below where the section is, as it doesn't grip to the section at all) is the lip inside of the plastic inner cap. When those ridges get worn down they'll no longer hold on tightly. So without either replacing those, or somehow reinforcing them (ie: maybe unscrew the inner cap from the inside, then padding the side between the cap and inner cap with some thin tape to cause it to squeeze more around that point) they are going to remain loose fitting.

Please post this in the relevant forum, ie, the forum specifically meant for Japanese pens. Thank you.

My black with plain barrel Metropolitan with M nib, from the first batch, before the animal collection, used to dry up the nib very fast. My other Pilots don't do that, even the 78G's, I believe the Metropolitan is very cheap for what is offers, so it probably is lacking on build quality somehow, maybe the caps are not that precise or airtight, that may be a reason for bad posting too. I love Pilot but I much prefer the 78G now, if you need low cost.

Just contact the seller and ask for an exchange. There is nothing lacking in the build quality of my Metro and I have nothing but praise for it.

round-letter-exc.png

• 2 years later...

I know this is a zombie response, but since I just had this issue, I will address it for the future. Hope no one minds. The brass barrel is soft enough to eventually go out of shape. The ring the cap fits onto is on the chrome metal part of the section, just to the nib side of that circumferential groove. Inside the cap are four concave areas in a north east west south kind of configuration that will slip onto that ring and hold the cap in place. Wrap some cloth around the cap and with a pair of needle nose pliers or similar, and following the less is more idea, crimp two of those detents closer together to create a more snug fit. Won't address the drying out, but will keep the cap from coming off in your hand and leaving you to fish out an uncapped pen out of your pocket. Hope this helps someone.

Between my finger and my thumb

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

-- excerpt from "Digging" by Seamus Heaney

I know this is a zombie response, but since I just had this issue, I will address it for the future. Hope no one minds. The brass barrel is soft enough to eventually go out of shape. The ring the cap fits onto is on the chrome metal part of the section, just to the nib side of that circumferential groove. Inside the cap are four concave areas in a north east west south kind of configuration that will slip onto that ring and hold the cap in place. Wrap some cloth around the cap and with a pair of needle nose pliers or similar, and following the less is more idea, crimp two of those detents closer together to create a more snug fit. Won't address the drying out, but will keep the cap from coming off in your hand and leaving you to fish out an uncapped pen out of your pocket. Hope this helps someone.

Many, many, many thanks !

Just to be clear, for an old bird, the Metropolitan cap is metal, and I will be DISTORTING the mouth of the cap slightly out-of-round. Correct ? (This is the same thing I do to the ring of my Parker 45, before replacing it onto the section.)

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Yes, but the way I see it, being slightly out of round in a different manner caused the problem in the first place. However, if done right, the distortion is not really noticeable; but you can really feel the cap clicking back into place like it was when new.

Between my finger and my thumb

The squat pen rests.

I'll dig with it.

-- excerpt from "Digging" by Seamus Heaney