The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

No Puff Of Air On Upstroke With Tm Snorkel

snorkel

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 kirchh

kirchh

Please see my Profile interests

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 23:31

Sounds like something occluding the vent at the tail of the barrel, if the one in the TD tube is clear.  It could be an over-enthusiastic daub of grease (I know I've done that), but if it's standing up to the power of lungs then it's probably something more solid.  If the o-ring isn't in its groove, that could cause the problem, but if it's not in the groove it's usually quite in the way of putting the pen back together.  I'd take the pen apart (again, and a sigh is appropriate at this point) and run a pin into that tail vent to see if it's clear.

Note that the vent hole in the barrel wall has no involvement in the filling process; the release of the vacuum at the top of the stroke and release of the pressure at the end of the downstroke occur because once the vent groove or vent hole in the filler tube clear or span the O-Ring, air can enter or exit at the back end of the barrel because there is no seal past that of the O-Ring (on the filler knob side).

The vent hole in the barrel is there exclusively to prevent the small pressure increase that could result from screwing down the filler knob after filling the pen; as the knob is screwed in, it can compress the small volume of air that lies between the knob and the O-ring, and this can blow past the O-Ring, causing a slight compression of the sac and the ejection of some ink. The vent hole in the barrel is located between the knob's lowest position and the O-RIng, and thus vents that space to the atmosphere.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Sponsored Content

#22 kirchh

kirchh

• Member - Gold

• 4,583 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 23:39

Apparently I hadn't read your post completely.  There are days....

I wonder if something that was lodged in the barrel was knocked loose when you sprayed the lubricant on things or maybe the original 0-ring wasn't eaten away but was dislodged and pulled down, and is still in the barrel?  A bit of rusted spring, the original 0-ring or something could be inside at the end and be just thick enough that the TD tube doesn't pull back completely.  Take the TD tube out of the barrel again and look inside with a penlight and a loupe if you need to.  It could right at the end, just below the sharp step below the 0-ring that the end of the TD tube hits to stop the tube from being pulled out the end.  Not saying that IS the case, but I'd check to be sure.

Concur with Ron's advice. If you have another Snorkel, you can compare the extent to which the filler tubes extend as one way to see if it's coming up short.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

#23 oreos

oreos

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:39

Im sorry for the very late reply, life got very hectic very quickly with uni assessment, Anyways, thank you all for your valued opinions and comments. Last night i decided to have a final crack at it. i began by disassembling the pen and removing the spring for the first time (required a bit of force, never removed before). Then i placed the piston back in the barrel, and i was amazed by how much further the piston extended. I then place the spring back around sac protector and reassembled the pen. Low and behold the little chiff at the peak of the upstroke is now present and the pen works as a squirt gun! so all in all it appears that the spring was not allowing the piston to extend the whole way, meaning that the vacuum could not be broken as it should. Thank you all again, just thought i would type out my solution incase someone else gets in the same situation as me. Thanks again everyone

#24 kirchh

kirchh

• Member - Gold

• 4,583 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 02:51

Thanks for following up -- I was just about to post asking where things stood. Glad to hear the mystery has been solved at last.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snorkel

Sponsored Content

|