Am I Breaking My Nib By Flexing Too Hard?

lgsoltek

Looks like metal fatigue.

It could be metal quality or too much stress.

and doubt this is metal fatigue as it's gold... bend gold yes probably so indeed too much flex and the FA feed... well has it's own problems as it's your standard Pilot feed which... is well never meant for a full flex capacity without at least modifying it

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• KBeezie

• SuperNib44

• Icywolfe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agree with Hari, too late to worry about it now. Next nib don't try to spread it like a dip pen.

Over on Richard Binder's com is an article about metal fatigue and springing nibs.

On my Waterman 52 I have a xxF with my lightest hand that has a nib that will go to BBB. I never try to take it more than BB.

Got a Easy Full flex 100n, that will spread it's tines 5 X a light down stroke...I never take it more than 4X.

You max a pen never more than once, to see how much you got...then stay under. One max shouldn't but could spring your nib.

What such a nib as you had, should give you nice fancy writing with no real extra pressure.

Over where the guys that really write hang out, they are into thin lines, and quick return more than how far can I make my nib do Olympic splits.

For Olympic splits easily done, go dip pen, I've Hunt 99-100-101 that does wonderful there, an Earthquake in California flexes the nib...and the Gillette 303 which I don't have is even more flexible.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

There, a sample:

http://photos-e.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/10598672_616854771769052_1189947692_n.jpg

lgsoltek, What kind of ink is that!? That is exactly the shade I have been looking for while. Great shading on that as well... Could you PM me about it as this is not the thread's subject?

Edited by SuperNib44

lgsoltek, What kind of ink is that!? That is exactly the shade I have been looking for while. Great shading on that as well... Could you PM me about it as this is not the thread's subject?

:P It reminds me somewhat of Akkerman #28 hofkwartier groen just not *quite* as light as #28. (a little more minty than that).

:P It reminds me somewhat of Akkerman #28 hofkwartier groen just not *quite* as light as #28. (a little more minty than that).

Yes- I am on a quest :lol: .

Really! I was considering buying it a few days ago but was put of by comments of very slow dry times. Do you find that to be an issue? Is there any problems significant enough that I should not buy this ink?

Really! I was considering buying it a few days ago but was put of by comments of very slow dry times. Do you find that to be an issue? Is there any problems significant enough that I should not buy this ink?

It's not fast-drying that I'm sure, but I have not paid attention to how slow it dries. For me it's acceptable coz I don't really care about drying time, YMMV. It's generally well-behaved. The only thing I don't like about it (or other J. Herbin inks) is the bottle, too shallow for filling.

So it is not slow drying enough to really notice? Do you mind checking to see if it takes longer than 10 seconds or so? In school (relatively) quick dry time is a must. Put my ink into different bottles when I get them so being too shallow won't be a problem.

So it is not slow drying enough to really notice? Do you mind checking to see if it takes longer than 10 seconds or so? In school (relatively) quick dry time is a must. Put my ink into different bottles when I get them so being too shallow won't be a problem.

Helps to specify the paper you're going to be using since that affects the drying time significantly. (it may also greatly affect feathering if flexing).

Edited by KBeezie

One more reminder that all nibs will flex at least once.

The cracks are from over doing it on the nib.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Helps to specify the paper you're going to be using since that affects the drying time significantly. (it may also greatly affect feathering if flexing).

Wondering about on Rhodia? On cheap notebook paper never have had an issue with dry time, the ink all just gets sucked up through the page.