Am I Breaking My Nib By Flexing Too Hard?

lgsoltek

Hello to all,

I have a Pilot 912 with an FA nib, a very flexible modern flex in my opinion. I've been using it for a month and I'm very satisfied with it, albeit some occasional railroading.

However, I notice there are two indentures spreading out from the breather hole, even a tiny crack (I think it is?) which is hardly noticeable even with a loupe. Judging from the shape of the indentures I think they are from flexing the nib.

Does it mean I'm flexing my nib too hard? Do I risk breaking the nib altogether if I continue doing so?

post-113900-0-32974700-1409553385_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• KBeezie

• SuperNib44

• Icywolfe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like metal fatigue.

It could be metal quality or too much stress.

Doubtful on the metal quality, the FA is supposed to be soft/flexy, but it's not supposed to be flexed *That* much. I'd be curious to see some scanned writing samples to see just how far he's pushing it.

Doubtful on the metal quality, the FA is supposed to be soft/flexy, but it's not supposed to be flexed *That* much. I'd be curious to see some scanned writing samples to see just how far he's pushing it.

There, a sample:

http://photos-e.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfa1/10598672_616854771769052_1189947692_n.jpg

It should be the extremely rare 1 batch metal screw up. (Very unlikely, as I noticed that Pilot's QC is pretty good.) But it could be a possibility. Also the angle of holding the pen can stress different parts.

#Nope

It should be the extremely rare 1 batch metal screw up. (Very unlikely, as I noticed that Pilot's QC is pretty good.) But it could be a possibility. Also the angle of holding the pen can stress different parts.

True, especially higher angle versus more of a 30-45 degree.

I couldn't say about the FA nib specifically, but I know the Falcon with it's own nib when written using a normal angle is stopped by the feed before you can flex it too far (higher angles though...). But the falcon doesn't flex as much as the FA nib.

Igsoltek do you normally have to apply a bit of force to get that much variation?

It's hard to say without seeing some side-by-side, but based on the write sample above, and a review of a Pilot Custom with an FA nib shown, they don't seem to be all that dissimilar in the line variation they can create.

http://fpgeeks.com/2014/07/pilot-custom-743-fountain-pen-w-fa-nib-review/

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Pilot-Custom-743-FA-Nib-writing-sample-4-798x474.jpeg

But, if you get little cracks by the breather hole, that's usually a tell tell sign that you're flexing the nib too hard for whatever it's build quality is.

Edited by KBeezie

True, especially higher angle versus more of a 30-45 degree.

I couldn't say about the FA nib specifically, but I know the Falcon with it's own nib when written using a normal angle is stopped by the feed before you can flex it too far (higher angles though...). But the falcon doesn't flex as much as the FA nib.

Igsoltek do you normally have to apply a bit of force to get that much variation?

[...]

Yes, I apply a bit of pressure to achieve that variation, but I don't think it's a lot. Anyway from now on I'll have to pay specially attention to my pressure in using the nib...

Yes, I apply a bit of pressure to achieve that variation, but I don't think it's a lot. Anyway from now on I'll have to pay specially attention to my pressure in using the nib...

Maybe get a measurement of your broadest stroke in mm, someone else with an FA can probably chime on in their max variation.

Maybe get a measurement of your broadest stroke in mm, someone else with an FA can probably chime on in their max variation.

From what I heard is the FA nib at max has issues starting.

#Nope

Good idea, KBeezie.

If I apply some pressure I can reach 1.5mm, beyond that I rarely go. Usually I don't apply that much pressure so it's less than 1.5mm, about 1.2 or 1.3 maybe?

Good idea, KBeezie.

If I apply some pressure I can reach 1.5mm, beyond that I rarely go. Usually I don't apply that much pressure so it's less than 1.5mm, about 1.2 or 1.3 maybe?

Though I wish I could get something more ... "solid" if you know what I mean.

This review of the Falcon :

http://fpgeeks.com/2014/06/pilot-namiki-falcon-fountain-pen-review/

Putting ink on paper is this nibs specialty. The soft descriptor in its name means you can spread the tines to get that beautiful line variation that lets everyone know youre not using some pathetic ballpoint. I would classify this nib as semi-flexible since I was able to consistently achieve line widths up to 1.25mm. With no pressure at all, the fine nib will produce a line 0.4mm wide which is noticeably thinner than the fine nibs from European manufacturers which measure between 0.5-0.6mm.

Then mentions the FA nib specifically

Im sure youre wondering how the Falcons nib compares to other modern flexible nibs. Well, the only one really worth comparing it to is the FA nib in the Pilot Custom Heritage 912. I guess the Justus 95 would be a good candidate, but I already did an entire video comparing that pen to the metal Falcon which is essentially the same pen as the resin Falcon. Anyway, there is a big difference between these two nibs. The FA nib is softer and I can easily get lines as wide as 1.8mm, compared to the Falcons 1.25mm. The Falcon is more consistent though and railroads less often. The Falcon is definitely the better buy as youre getting more for your money, but if you have to have the ultimate in modern flex, I think the FA is the way to go. Just be prepared for some tweaking.

But as a review I'm wondering if they'd have the same issue as you if they kept doing 1.8mm all the time.

Edited by KBeezie

Though I wish I could get something more ... "solid" if you know what I mean.

This review of the Falcon :

http://fpgeeks.com/2014/06/pilot-namiki-falcon-fountain-pen-review/

Then mentions the FA nib specifically

But as a review I'm wondering if they'd have the same issue as you if they kept doing 1.8mm all the time.

That's some really useful information. I can push the width to 2mm, but that needs quite some pressure, which I'm sure I have done a few times though. I think users of FA nib have better keep the line width under 1.2mm or so, just to be safe.

Anyway a big thank you to you, KBeezie, for taking the time to help me out with these researches. :)

That's some really useful information. I can push the width to 2mm, but that needs quite some pressure, which I'm sure I have done a few times though. I think users of FA nib have better keep the line width under 1.2mm or so, just to be safe.

Anyway a big thank you to you, KBeezie, for taking the time to help me out with these researches. :)

Not a problem, it's also handy to me if I ever decide to get a custom with an FA nib, I *had* a Pilot Falcon with a Soft Fine, but it felt a little too... uncontrolled for me if you know what I mean (I wonder if that means I'd hate the Justus 95...).

Edited by KBeezie

The justus95 you have the control bar.

But even with that I heard from the person who I traded my falcon to that it was a bit more easily controlled than their Justus 95. The control bar just limits the maximum, not the ease of everything in between.

Hello to all,

I have a Pilot 912 with an FA nib, a very flexible modern flex in my opinion. I've been using it for a month and I'm very satisfied with it, albeit some occasional railroading.

However, I notice there are two indentures spreading out from the breather hole, even a tiny crack (I think it is?) which is hardly noticeable even with a loupe. Judging from the shape of the indentures I think they are from flexing the nib.

Does it mean I'm flexing my nib too hard? Do I risk breaking the nib altogether if I continue doing so?

can you take a good closeup of the crack? perhaps the thick Rhodium plating is delaminated from the gold base and has cracked?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Not a problem, it's also handy to me if I ever decide to get a custom with an FA nib, I *had* a Pilot Falcon with a Soft Fine, but it felt a little too... uncontrolled for me if you know what I mean (I wonder if that means I'd hate the Justus 95...).

I have a Justus 95 too. It's in fact quite stiff, compared to FA nib. You need a lot of pressure to achieve some nice flexes from Justus, making very hard to control.

can you take a good closeup of the crack? perhaps the thick Rhodium plating is delaminated from the gold base and has cracked?

Sorry I really can't... It's been difficult enough for me to take this photo, with a loupe. When I look at the nib bare-eyed, I can see the indentures but I cannot see the tiny crack. Even with a loupe the crack is barely visible. It's only when I'm looking at the photo that I can see the crack.

Sorry I really can't... It's been difficult enough for me to take this photo, with a loupe. When I look at the nib bare-eyed, I can see the indentures but I cannot see the tiny crack. Even with a loupe the crack is barely visible. It's only when I'm looking at the photo that I can see the crack.

maybe there is no crack. I would say, damage if any has already been done. continue to enjoy the pen till it falls apart. at that time a good pen tech can repair the nib or you can buy a new one. This is a modern pen, available in good supply after all.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.