The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Just Ordered Pilot Custom Heritage 912!

pilot custom heritage 912 fine ultra fine extra fine ef posting po

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,766 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:49

Yes. Generally, any flexible nib well set up will put down a very wet line especially when flexed. If it isn't wet, you would wind up with what is known as railroading with flexing.

but the feed doesnt keep up with a fast paced writer so there's that problem

Sponsored Content

#22 Kuhataparunks

Kuhataparunks

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 00:01

On my second filling, it does not fill well. The ink stays just a bit above the metal ring on the storage. it is a piston filler ( i am new to this i hope i am describing it well) so it must not be air tight! -- well, i looked around and it is a con-70...  So it must be easy to re-attach if it is not pulling the ink in! ----- > I tried to pump several times but it does not fill the tube, just at the level i just said!

Thanks 

I posted a similar thread with this concern when I tried to use a CON70 in a Custom 74. Goulet Pen Company has a video on YouTube, I think titled "how to fill a CON70 converter" or something like that. There's a trick to the CON70.

First, that black stopper inside must be in as far down as possible; when it makes contact with that glass loop, it creates a vacuum which draws up the ink.
Second, the most important part: there's no other way to put it: you must be rough with it, or it will fill very insufficiently. Press the button very quickly and very hard, as if you're trying to hammer a nail using your finger. Do that, be very rough with it, and it will fill all the way up.
The key is to push VERY hard and very fast, unfortunately.
Be very careful not to tip the bottle over.
Try it with a cup of water to the brim first so you can see what I'm talking about and to see how hard you'll have to push.
Otherwise, soft pushes will not fill at all.

Edited by Kuhataparunks, 10 December 2014 - 01:20.

#23 ehemem

ehemem

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:57

I posted a similar thread with this concern when I tried to use a CON70 in a Custom 74. Goulet Pen Company has a video on YouTube, I think titled "how to fill a CON70 converter" or something like that. There's a trick to the CON70.

First, that black stopper inside must be in as far down as possible; when it makes contact with that glass loop, it creates a vacuum which draws up the ink.
Second, the most important part: there's no other way to put it: you must be rough with it, or it will fill very insufficiently. Press the button very quickly and very hard, as if you're trying to hammer a nail using your finger. Do that, be very rough with it, and it will fill all the way up.
The key is to push VERY hard and very fast, unfortunately.
Be very careful not to tip the bottle over.
Try it with a cup of water to the brim first so you can see what I'm talking about and to see how hard you'll have to push.
Otherwise, soft pushes will not fill at all.

And push multiple times, not just once!

#24 heldercgrande

heldercgrande

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 19:58

And push multiple times, not just once!

Regarding on how to fill the CON-70 converter, I dont think it is needed to press the button so hard. In my experience, just press the button normaly and release it quickly. The quick release is the key for me.

#25 Jeff_H

Jeff_H

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2014 - 18:40

I finally gave up on the Con 70, as I was afraid every time I pushed hard enough to get a good fill I would drive the nib into the bottom of the ink bottle and damage the nib.  I just fill it with a syringe like the one Goulet's sells.  That solves my problem.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.  

#26 bizhe

bizhe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 22:44

The key is the con70 is to hear the spitting sound when you push the button as air is being pushed out into the ink in the ink bottle. Then hold the button for an extra half second, and release. It takes a couple of tries to get the feel for it. After using my c74 for while, I switched to a pelikan piston filler, and then i thought wow, I have to use two hands to fill this thing.

To push out all ink from the con70, push the button slowly while holding it above the ink bottle, repeat.

#27 fromthecrowd

fromthecrowd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2014 - 22:30

I do love the way it writes and draws, though!  :D  

I very much hope in time you will make a review of FA nib on FPN or on your blog. Very interested in your impressions.

#28 miatagrrl

miatagrrl

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2014 - 23:30

I very much hope in time you will make a review of FA nib on FPN or on your blog. Very interested in your impressions.

Yes, I do intend to post a review after I've had time to really get used to it and see what it can do!  B) Thanks for your interest.

- Tina
http://www.tina-koyama.blogspot.com

#29 maverink

maverink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2014 - 09:52

@miatagrrl hope you are having fun sketching with 912  looking forward to your sketches n review of the fa nib 

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F
And all indian pens

#30 nyx_h

nyx_h

Rhodium Trimmed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2014 - 14:41

Congrats! Take some pictures when it gets here :) the 912 is on my to-get list for the near future, but I am gonna try out the stub nib. Some people love it, some people hate it, we'll see! I only wish the 912 was a piston filler, like my current favourite pen, the Custom Heritage 92.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel. 

Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

#31 fromthecrowd

fromthecrowd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2014 - 15:02

@nyx_h

I've got the Pilot #10 sutab on the Custom 742. It is the same nib as on 912. Find it really scratchy on the upstrokes. At the moment Plumix is my much preferred choice over the 742. I read a review of sutab #10 nib which said 'compared to Sailor music nib Pilot's sutab is sweet spot all the way'. But mine has definitely no sweet spot as far as upstrokes go. But it is with me only a couple of months. May be I'll find how to use it correctly with time. The ink tried was Iroshizuku Shin Kai and Sailor Kobe #44.

#32 nyx_h

nyx_h

Rhodium Trimmed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2014 - 17:09

@nyx_h

I've got the Pilot #10 sutab on the Custom 742. It is the same nib as on 912. Find it really scratchy on the upstrokes. At the moment Plumix is my much preferred choice over the 742. I read a review of sutab #10 nib which said 'compared to Sailor music nib Pilot's sutab is sweet spot all the way'. But mine has definitely no sweet spot as far as upstrokes go. But it is with me only a couple of months. May be I'll find how to use it correctly with time. The ink tried was Iroshizuku Shin Kai and Sailor Kobe #44.

Thank you for the information. Hmm, that's rather disappointing, as the few Pilots I have are wonderful writers. I'd love to try it but the local stores don't have it in stock yet. Would you mind awfully posting a writing sample? I'd like to see how it writes, but I haven't had much luck searching on Google.

Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

#33 fromthecrowd

fromthecrowd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2014 - 18:22

Sure. I will post a sample here a bit later. Unfortunately I also have no possibility to try most of the interesting pens in local stores and have to blind order them. But with Japanese pens the quality is nearly universally guaranteed.

#34 fromthecrowd

fromthecrowd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2014 - 19:01

Here is a sample of Pilot Custom 742 sutab. Ink Iroshizuku Shin-Kai. Paper is cheap school notebook.

This was written just as I posted my impressions on the nib today in this thread to refresh the perception of the pen. Sorry for mistakes. This was not initially meant for posting and I strongly concentrated on the feelings the nib produces.

Attached Images

• P742_sutab002.jpg

Edited by fromthecrowd, 13 December 2014 - 19:14.

#35 PabloAU

PabloAU

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2014 - 19:38

I had the same issue with the SU nib in my 912 - very sharp on the upstroke. I did a little surgery on it with some fine wet & dry paper to reshape, followed by micromesh to polish, and it's now one of my favorite pens. I'm very happy with the outcome but it's a mod that shouldn't have been needed.

(Edit: Just realised I'd posted similar comments some time ago in this thread)

Edited by PabloAU, 13 December 2014 - 19:40.

#36 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2014 - 20:07

I just returned my FA 912 and exchanged it for an excellent Sailor nib ... But I kind of miss the Pilot also and may get a SF 912 soon ... Really like the Con 70. It's easy to fill and clean and takes a lot of ink. Kind of fills like using a plunger in a toilet 😁
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

#37 nyx_h

nyx_h

Rhodium Trimmed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:32

fromthecrowdPabloAU

Thank you for your insights and experience on the nib! It looks like it's a medium stub, very subtle line variation. Do you guys have soft-fine medium or soft-medium nibs? Would it be worth it to get the stub compared to those? I've a soft-medium and that's my favourite nib so far. I know the stub wouldn't be as soft as those nibs, I just want a nib that'll give me a little flair :P 

Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

#38 PabloAU

PabloAU

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:09

The SU runs about 0.8mm width, with more-pronounced line variation than I get out of my Franklin-Christoph Masuyama medium stub. It's definitely broader than you'd get from stubbing a Pilot M nib, probably more like a Pilot B.

The SU is a little more rigid than my Pilot M nibs, with enough give to naturally enhance shading in certain inks. I also have a SFM, which is softer still. I never try to get "flex" out of the SFM, I don't think that's what it's made for, but it's a nice cushioned ride and is about 0.4mm.

As for whether it's worth it, that depends. For me, it was absolutely worth it. I was able to get mine to a state where I love it, but it wasn't that way OOTB. I don't know if mine was representative of type or a flawed example, but what fromthecrowd describes echoes my experience. If you're ordering from John Mottishaw you could have him work out the kinks for you before it's shipped, but of course that's much more expensive than buying direct from Japan. Have you looked at any of the Franklin-Christoph pens? A F-C pen with Masuyama stub or cursive italic may be a safer way to go for what you're after.

#39 nyx_h

nyx_h

Rhodium Trimmed

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:05

PabloAU

This sounds like a nib I would like in my life :P I haven't been particularly desiring of the FC pens, so I haven't considered them seriously. I do have one of my own pens on its way to Masuyama though. The Pilot SU is more for having a variety of Pilots. 

Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

#40 fromthecrowd

fromthecrowd

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:30

nyx_h

Pilot also makes a #15 SU nib. And users seem to like it. No complaints about upstrokes. Saskia Madding as far as I remember has switched this nib over to Pilot 823. So did some other people. I suspect you may like this variant also. Very high quality pen and lots of ink! The only thing is, the #15 don't come in rhodium plating.

I was considering the soft-medium lately. You seem to get much flex out of it. Is it what you do on regular basis?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, custom, heritage, 912, fine, ultra fine, extra fine, ef, posting, po

Sponsored Content

|