The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Maido San Francisco - Wonderful!

san francisco maido store minerva pilot japan

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:50

Thanks to all for the recommendation of visiting Maido in San Francisco - it is a wonderful store.  Located in the Westfield Mall on one of the top floors, it has a breathtaking and entertaining array of pens, pencils, ink, cases, stationary, writing accessories, journals and greeting cards.  They even have sushi shaped pencil erasers!

They are wonderful, courteous people, and a joy to visit.  Here are a few pictures of this week's purchase, including:

-Minerva Box handmade leather pen/pencil rool in teal

-Sailor inks in blue and orange

-Pilot VP fountain pen and cartridges

-Leather-bound mini journal (gift wrapped)

-Ohto micro pen

-Mini panda note pads

-A4 1mm grid paper pad

-Sushi erasers in Uni, Salmon Nigiri and Tekka Maki :)

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0090_1.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Sponsored Content

#2 FayeV

FayeV

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:07

Sounds like a cute store. I wish I still worked in downtown SF.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

#3 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:11

It's a great store that I visit often but their prices can be on the high side. I have also bought from their website before. The shipping is ultra fast.

#4 stevesurf

stevesurf

Needing a Sabbatical

• 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:49

Thanks for the replies; I really enjoy Japanese retail shops as it reminds me of some wonderful visits to Japan.  I especially like that they have some unique, handmade items, like the pen/pencil roll and other leather accessories.  They have a large array of mechanical pencils, leads and miniature pens. Their Sailor fountain pens are so very tempting and there's quite a number of nice Pilot, Tombow and Ohto models.

What was funny was I got a miniature handmade leather journal for my sister and asked for it to be wrapped.  Then the really nice Japanese gentleman wrapped it "pleated" style, only to have the young ladies in the store give him a hard time, making him do the wrapping over using that wrapping style used in Japan where they only use a single piece of tape and many folds.  Again a nice touch; my sister most likely will not even want to unwrap it!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

#5 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Antique

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2014 - 16:32

they also have a store in san jose on santana row. Their fountain pen and ink selection is great (the big three japanese brands: pilot platinum sailor and they also carry lamy). However their selection of japanese stationery is even more extensive and impressive.

Edited by cellmatrix, 31 August 2014 - 16:34.

#6 Pentulant

Pentulant

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2014 - 00:28

Both stores are nice, but I definitely prefer the Japantown location. Much more variety. And you can get noodles in Japantown. ;)
pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>
President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

#7 FayeV

FayeV

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:37

they also have a store in san jose on santana row. Their fountain pen and ink selection is great (the big three japanese brands: pilot platinum sailor and they also carry lamy). However their selection of japanese stationery is even more extensive and impressive.

So I've stopped by Montblanc at Valley Fair a few times this year, and it totally slipped my mind that Maido is across the street at Santana Row. :wallbash:  I better get over there to check it out before the end of the year (holidays) when traffic in that area is even worse.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

#8 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,259 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2014 - 18:33

Thanks for the reminder about this store. I'll have to wander up there one afternoon in the next few weeks. One cannot have too much ink after all. :^)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#9 Lou Erickson

Lou Erickson

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 21:09

The store in Santana Row is where I got my Pilot blue-black, which is apparently hard to find in the USA.  Nice ink.  Nice people, too.  I couldn't imagine paying the full retail for the pens, though.  I'm way too ch... frugal.  They have some Rhodia paper, too.

Haven't made it to the other stores.

I also didn't know there was a MB store in Valley Fair - I never go there.  Maybe I'll go look at ink.

-- 

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

#10 michael_s

michael_s

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 23:36

Which of the 2 Maido shops in San Francisco would be better to visit to handle Pilot/Sailor/Platinum fountain pens and buy Iroshizuku ink?  Or are they basically the same in that department?  Will be visiting San Francisco in a few weeks...

Thanks,

-Mike

#11 Pentulant

Pentulant

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:30

No doubt about it, Japantown has the more varied selection.
pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>
President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: san francisco, maido, store, minerva, pilot, japan

Sponsored Content

|