Any Faber-Castell Fans?

a.zy.lee

Bump. Anyone been enjoying Faber Castell pens recently?

I personally love the creativity of their designs. The fact they make spring loaded clips is so very nice. Their Loom has a great nib, and have trouble justifying a 100+CAD$ purchase of an Ondoro or E-motion when the Loom has the same nib but I keep being tempted. I also have a Lamy 2000 which is a good pen but has a bit of baby's bottom.

Shall we continue to share the love for these pens? (And of course, the GvFC are way out of my price range...)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a.zy.lee

• jar

• Algester

• Bold2013

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have cheaper, decent pens, more expensive pens, more ergonomic pens, pens with more interesting nibs, pens that don't dry out as quickly... But there is only one Faber Castell Ambition in pearwood, best looking pen I have, and the wood feels nice when it's colder.

I like the Tamitio in blue but can't justify the price, from time to time I consider getting another Ambition in black to swap the nib with the one I have to give Kon Peki more justice.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I am a recent recruit to the GvF-C fan club. I now have the Classic Snakewood LE, an Intuition Terra Cotta, an Intuition Ebony, a F-C Ondoro in Oak and 3 Tamitios. I bought the Tamitios for the new steel calligraphy nibs. The nibs are quite nice, but the Tamitio is less comfortable for me than any of the other models, unfortunately. The Intuition has the best form, size and weight for me to use as an EDC.

The F-C materials, are good. The manufacturing quality is probably the best of any pen I own.

David

The Intuition is a nice pen but it is incredibly expensive...

The F-C pens are definitely not the cheapest. How the Ondoro is over 100$ I don't understand. Same nib, C/C, plastic build... why?

I have several FC and GvFC pens. I love their nibs for EF and F. None of mine were scratchy at all. They work great right from the get go.

Faber-Castell's steel nibs are beyond compare: I wish every maker had nibs that good. They're still carrying the Osmia torch in that regard.

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Osmia/Faber-Castell fan here! I just love their nibs. I haven't tried any modern ones, only vintage. I also like their pen design and built quality. Most of my Osmias/Faber-Castell pens starts working just after cleaning. My favorite is small Osmia 973. I was so happy to get same model from Faber-Castell 73, which has the most awesome steel nib that I have tried. I was sure it was gold nib, until I had to remove it and found no gold markins.

It seems I live in place, where it is pretty high change fountain pen be Faber-Castell/Osmia. They are pretty common here.

A little over a year ago I wrote a review Braggin on GvFC. They are one of my favorite companies and probably my favorite German fountain pen company.

Definitely check out Jar's posts; as he states, many of the parts on GvFC are easy to disassemble and clean. The larger-nibbed Intuition Platino Wood has one of my three smoothest nibs of all the pens I am fortunate to have and use.

http://www.graf-von-faber-castell.us/writing-instruments/editions/intuition-platino-wood

While the Euro is still manageable vs the USD I would purchase when in Germany or through such great dealers as La Cour de Compte (sp)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

While the Euro is still manageable vs the USD I would purchase when in Germany or through such great dealers as La Cour de Compte (sp)

Did you mean La Couronne du Comte from Netherlands? I couldn't find anything by googling La Cour de Compte...

Did you mean La Couronne du Comte from Netherlands? I couldn't find anything by googling La Cour de Compte...

Yes, sorry for the misspelling...

https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/webstore/main/graf-faber-castell-c-1_249.html

Also you can use a discount code on Stephen BRE Browne's or Gourmet Pens YouTube channels.

Amazing service!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

• 1 year later...

(Gv)F-C fan here, for sure :-)

I do not have any large collection, just one Ambition and 2 Tamitios (one could say that I have 3 Ambitions, just with different cap and stamping on the nib), but I always liked those well tuned nibs.

Tamitio brothers on included image :-)

post-126325-0-98111700-1556351031_thumb.jpg

Edited by pkotrcka

... I believe in purple ink

Thread resurrection? Sure, I'll play. Am I a fan? Nope, but do have a few and enjoy them. Here’s one of rare ones made of very old Olive wood with 3 brilliants stuck on the cap [inset]

post-99536-0-61743700-1555528736_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have to chime in because I feel this brand is often overlooked. As someone who has collected just about every high end pen, I feel I have have a solid palate of comparison to pull from. Just recently(about 3 months ago) I purchased the GFVC POY samurai. After inspecting the pen, I shockingly realized that it was without a doubt the most well made pen I had ever held. The fit and finish is remarkable.

To back track a moment. My first fountain pen was a GVFC Walden woods. Being my first fountain pen, I didn’t really know what I had. The nib felt like a pencil( feedback) and it sung as I wrote with it. At the time this was an annoyance.... from all my research, I assumed a good nib had to be glass smooth (oh how ignorant I was) so after collecting for a couple years and finding nibs I liked better, I decided to micro mesh the sing and feedback out of her. (Ugh)

Anyway. To make a long story short. After 6 years of collecting pens, I realized what a mistake that was. So, for the last three years I have been on a search to find a nib with the same characteristics my Walden woods once had. After failing miserably, I finally found it again with the GFVC poy samurai.

To sum it all up. GFVC’s fit and finish is second to none and their nibs are to die for. Their POY’s are really something special and I highly recommend them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to chime in because I feel this brand is often overlooked. As someone who has collected just about every high end pen, I feel I have have a solid palate of comparison to pull from. Just recently(about 3 months ago) I purchased the GFVC POY samurai. After inspecting the pen, I shockingly realized that it was without a doubt the most well made pen I had ever held. The fit and finish is remarkable.

To back track a moment. My first fountain pen was a GVFC Walden woods. Being my first fountain pen, I didn’t really know what I had. The nib felt like a pencil( feedback) and it sung as I wrote with it. At the time this was an annoyance.... from all my research, I assumed a good nib had to be glass smooth (oh how ignorant I was) so after collecting for a couple years and finding nibs I liked better, I decided to micro mesh the sing and feedback out of her. (Ugh)

Anyway. To make a long story short. After 6 years of collecting pens, I realized what a mistake that was. So, for the last three years I have been on a search to find a nib with the same characteristics my Walden woods once had. After failing miserably, I finally found it again with the GFVC poy samurai.

To sum it all up. GFVC’s fit and finish is second to none and their nibs are to die for. Their POY’s are really something special and I highly recommend them.

+1 , have a few PotYs rolling around in the draw and could'nt agree more. A pic of the Samurai would be nice :)

I love their nibs. I want to be a fan of their pens, but I find the most of their pens uncomfortable for me to hold, either from being too large, too narrow, or too heavy. That being said, when I do find a pen I can handle I tend to love it. I also love their outstanding customer service. Hmm, I guess I'm a fan after all, hee!

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• 2 weeks later...

To back track a moment. My first fountain pen was a GVFC Walden woods. Being my first fountain pen, I didnt really know what I had. The nib felt like a pencil( feedback) and it sung as I wrote with it. At the time this was an annoyance.... from all my research, I assumed a good nib had to be glass smooth (oh how ignorant I was) so after collecting for a couple years and finding nibs I liked better, I decided to micro mesh the sing and feedback out of her. (Ugh)

To sum it all up. GFVCs fit and finish is second to none and their nibs are to die for. Their POYs are really something special and I highly recommend them.

I have to add to this post just in case someone is searching for info on GVFC poys. Everything I said above still holds true, however.... the metal section has been a problem for me Everything about this pen is perfect except this darn metal section. It looks magnificent (the wrappings on the handle of a samurai sword) and even has enough texture to where you think slipperiness would not be a problem. But after a couple months of regular use, the metal section just ended up being too slippery for me. On a few occasions I almost dropped the pen. A combination of the weight and slipperiness was Just too much.

So... For anyone looking to buy a poy, Id highly suggest trying one first, especially if you have a problem with slippery metal sections.

the real solution, for those with the slippery section issue, is the Ambition Platinum.

Wooden barrel and section, in one single piece, with an imperceptibly concave shaped section, which however makes the pen extremely comfortable to hold.

fpn_1555961544__p1170399-3_graf_von_fabe

Great fan of GvFC here! Quality, elegance, performance.

Edited by sansenri

• 2 weeks later...

the real solution, for those with the slippery section issue, is the Ambition Platinum.

Wooden barrel and section, in one single piece, with an imperceptibly concave shaped section, which however makes the pen extremely comfortable to hold.

fpn_1555961544__p1170399-3_graf_von_fabe

Great fan of GvFC here! Quality, elegance, performance.

This one is on my list

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I'm finally a member of the GvFC club, bought a Tamilio in Mainz Germany when traveling! Love it!

post-5351-0-30471600-1561038294_thumb.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 3 weeks later...