Esterbrook 2550 Vs 9556

Venemo

After experiencing how pleasurable the Esterbrooks are, I'm buying a dark grey Esterbrook J. I have a choice of nibs. I can get the 2550, 9556 and 2556 for the same price or a 2048 for an additional ~$50. At the moment I don't have an additional $50 (and as a leftie, I wouldn't have much use for a flex nib anyway), and I think that the 2556 is just a weaker version of the 9556, so that's out of the question too.

So I managed to narrow the choice down to the 2550 (firm extra fine for bookkeeping) and the 9556 (firm fine, for fine writing).

I'm looking for opinions and experiences. Which one should I get? How well do they perform? Is either of them scratchy?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Venemo

• OcalaFlGuy

• pajaro

• gweimer1

i don't see why that nib should cost $50. Outrageous! i am supposing the pen did not cost you more than $30, which is what i usually pay for and SJ, J.

Edited by Lamyrada

I would go for the 9556. I just did a short comparison of a 2550 and 9550 nib yesterday. They are similar, but you can feel the difference with the 9550. My main Esterbrook has the 9556 nib, and I'm really happy with it. There is a reason why Esterbrook had two lines of nibs, and two levels of pricing.

i don't see why that nib should cost $50. Outrageous! i am supposing the pen did not cost you more than $30, which is what i usually pay for and SJ, J.

Seems I made a mistake converting the currencies. The pen costs $37 (with either of the aforementioned nibs): this is cheaper than buying on ebay and paying for the shipping price and I know the seller is trustworthy. The 2048 nib is +$41: I suspect it's either that rare or the guy thinks that a flex nib should cost more. Anyway, I don't want it.

I would go for the 9556. I just did a short comparison of a 2550 and 9550 nib yesterday. They are similar, but you can feel the difference with the 9550. My main Esterbrook has the 9556 nib, and I'm really happy with it. There is a reason why Esterbrook had two lines of nibs, and two levels of pricing.

That's what I thought. There is a reason why everyone loves 9xxx series. :)

What can you tell about the 9556?

Edited by Venemo

The 9556 is the fine in between the 9668 med and 9550 ex fine. I really like it. It may be that because I am a lefty that I lean towards a fine point. I like some definition to my writing, but don't want to lose the nice lines, so I prefer the fine point.

9xxx nibs are preferable to 2xxx nibs. That's why Estiebrook charged more for them.

Some 2xxx nibs like the 2048 have no tipping at all. While the 2550 does have tipping it is "faux" tipping made by folding the end of each tine over and welding it along the bottom. With a loupe this is Clearly visible. A 9xxx nib has "genuine" welded on iridium tipping.

A 2xxx faux tipped nib New, will write as nicely as a 9xxx nib, but not for as long as the faux tipping will wear faster. (As little as we usually write with our pens, it's not really a Genuine Issue now with a new faux tipped 2xxx nib.)

Being Completely Untipped, 2048s usually suck. If you must have an Estie flexie save up for a 9xxx one.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

The 9556 is the fine in between the 9668 med and 9550 ex fine. I really like it. It may be that because I am a lefty that I lean towards a fine point. I like some definition to my writing, but don't want to lose the nice lines, so I prefer the fine point.

Sounds exactly what I'm looking for. :) Thanks for your input!

9xxx nibs are preferable to 2xxx nibs. That's why Estiebrook charged more for them.

Some 2xxx nibs like the 2048 have no tipping at all. While the 2550 does have tipping it is "faux" tipping made by folding the end of each tine over and welding it along the bottom. With a loupe this is Clearly visible. A 9xxx nib has "genuine" welded on iridium tipping.

A 2xxx faux tipped nib New, will write as nicely as a 9xxx nib, but not for as long as the faux tipping will wear faster. (As little as we usually write with our pens, it's not really a Genuine Issue now with a new faux tipped 2xxx nib.)

Being Completely Untipped, 2048s usually suck. If you must have an Estie flexie save up for a 9xxx one.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks Bruce! I didn't really want the 2048 anyway but you now convinced me that I shouldn't even feel sorry about it.

I think my vote will go for the 9556 then!

I have a 9550 EF for mine (although I have a 1555 Gregg in it currently) as well as a Venus fine for it. The 9xxx nibs are really nice. I had to get used to mine and I switch up the nib periodically.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I use a 9556 in my red J, and love it. The admittedly small sample of 9xxx's I've tried have all worked well; the 2xxx's have been hit or miss. Tried a 2048, and can't argue with Bruce's opinion.

I just recently got a 3rd 2048 in an Estie that's now on Fleabay minus the 2048.

I dip tested the 2048. Like the other 2, this one tried to imitate O.J. Simpson on my Nicole paper.

Obviously, it wasn't pretty. :rolleyes:

I may try and smooth it enough to use, I can always use the smoothing practice, however, I'm not very optimistic it can be rehabbed.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

My desk pen has a 2668 nib and it's one of my best writers. This is what actually inspired me to buy the model J. :) Not sure what to expect from the 9556 but I'll let you know how it turns out when I get it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

After experiencing how pleasurable the Esterbrooks are, I'm buying a dark grey Esterbrook J. I have a choice of nibs. I can get the 2550, 9556 and 2556 for the same price or a 2048 for an additional ~$50. At the moment I don't have an additional $50 (and as a leftie, I wouldn't have much use for a flex nib anyway), and I think that the 2556 is just a weaker version of the 9556, so that's out of the question too.

So I managed to narrow the choice down to the 2550 (firm extra fine for bookkeeping) and the 9556 (firm fine, for fine writing).

I'm looking for opinions and experiences. Which one should I get? How well do they perform? Is either of them scratchy?

I have a 2048 and a 9048, and they are flexible in a way similar to the way a steel yardstick is flexible. They flex with a lot of pressure, and I can't get my mind around it, as far as flexible writing is concerned, and I was not helped by the greater effort needed to flex these. I like these nibs as nice fines, and as such they are very nice. I do not think their practical value is worth a $50 cost, and it takes more effort to flex the Esterbrook nib units than other flexy nibs as with gold nibs on old pens. Found mine in pens on ebay. They were not expensive, and I do not value flexibility in a nib. If I want line variation, I will get an italic nib or a stub, and I have some.

As far as 2556 versus 9556 is concerned, I think the price difference is not great, and I generally buy the 9XXX version of a nib as opposed to the 2XXX version. I also think there is a subtle difference in feel between a nib tipped with hard matterial and a nib tipped by rolling the end of the nib. The difference in feel and the longer life of the 9XXX nibs makes them preferable to me. That said, there are some exceptions, like the 9312 vs. 2312 and 9284 vs 2284, in which cases I find them more alike. The cost difference is greater in those cases, so you can choose economy if you want to and still get a nice feel from the nib.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I had the chance to try both the 2550 and the 9556. The result: the 2550 was okay, but it was broader than the 2668 in my desk pen and not as smooth. Then I tried the 9556. That feeling... I'm at a loss for words. It felt buttery smooth. Like it was the way fountain pens were meant to write. It flew on the paper. Awesome! And it's finer than any of my other pens.

Sooo... I'm now a happy owner of a grey Esterbrook J with a 9556 nib. :)

(The total cost was ~37$.)

Every so often you find one of the Esterbrooks with a nib with that buttery feel you describe. They are wonderful. I am certain you will enjoy it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.