The Heritage 1914 On Display - It's A Huge Pen !

Sampanel

Don't forget that huge MOP snowcap logo on the cap, and another smaller one at the bottom of the pen.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pravda

• Axis

• meiers

• Sampanel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason why the pen is SO expensive is because although it looks like it's smaller brethren, it's a completely new pen, with new tooling and even a new nib. I think the only part it uses that's not original is the feed, which looks suspiciously like the one from the 149. Since it's not a turned pen, and is actually manufactured, I am sure the cost went into the tooling of the pen, together with the cost of the giant nib.

I don't want to give the impression it's impossible to use as I use my oversized pens like the Danitrio Genkai and Namiki Emperor all the time. It's the weight that actually makes it unmanageable. Otherwise it does work like any other normal pen, albeit quite large.

• 4 weeks later...

Good advice about the cigar tubes, thanks! About not extending the nib fully, I must caution it may hurt the pen. The mechanism has a wobble/give when not fully locked and with repeated strokes may loosen it even further in not a good way :/

That said, it gets easier each day you use it. I personally take extreme good care of mine, but didn't buy it to sit in a drawer :)

fpn_1466129442__fullsizerender.jpg

I use the MB cigar case for the 1914. It fits perfectly although the case is for 2 cigars.

I use the MB cigar case for the 1914. It fits perfectly although the case is for 2 cigars.

It's a shame this case is no longer available. I'm going to run an ongoing eBay search for one.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

It's a shame this case is no longer available. I'm going to run an ongoing eBay search for one.

Yeah me too :) jmccarty3 whoever finds them grabs 2 ok?

I'm gonna be traveling soon to where there's Montblanc boutiques which don't get a lot of visitors that may have new old stock

Yeah me too :) jmccarty3 whoever finds them grabs 2 ok?

I'm gonna be traveling soon to where there's Montblanc boutiques which don't get a lot of visitors that may have new old stock

I wish you good fortune! Let us know if you find any.

• 1 month later...

The Nakaya leather pen case (at Nakaya.com or nibs.com) fits the Danitrio Genkai so might fit this too...

The Nakaya leather pen case (at Nakaya.com or nibs.com) fits the Danitrio Genkai so might fit this too...

I'm waiting for a custom-made leather case for my 1914, in the same style as the Nakaya, but much less costly:

https://my63leather.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/this-really-is-the-largest-single-pair-of-singe-pen-cases/

The smaller of the two cases, with black stitching and black interior, is for the 1914. The larger case, with red stitching and red interior, is for my Namiki Emperor Vermilion.

I'm waiting for a custom-made leather case for my 1914, in the same style as the Nakaya, but much less costly:

https://my63leather.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/this-really-is-the-largest-single-pair-of-singe-pen-cases/

The smaller of the two cases, with black stitching and black interior, is for the 1914. The larger case, with red stitching and red interior, is for my Namiki Emperor Vermilion.

This is really super! Thanks for sharing jmccarty3

A question and a couple of thoughts:

- What's the size comparison between the Emperor and the 1914? I was under the impression that they're equal, but from your comment seems the Emperor is even larger?

- So far I have noticed that the regular sienna leather 2 or 3 pen case fits the 1914 and its what I have been using. It has to be the only pen there, but it works.

- Another option for others to look at are cases for straight razors! A straight razor is roughly the same size as the 1914 I have found. And there are some beautiful cases out there.

The Emperor and the 1914 are comparable, but the retractable nib on the 1914 allows it to be just a bit shorter when capped.

Measurements (capped) taken from my own pens:

Montblanc Heritage 1914: 157 mm long, 25 mm wide (including clip)

Namiki Emperor Vermilion: 174 mm long, 26 mm wide (including clip)

Measurements (capped) taken from my own pens:

Montblanc Heritage 1914: 157 mm long, 25 mm wide (including clip)

Namiki Emperor Vermilion: 174 mm long, 26 mm wide (including clip)

Thanks for this. And wow I am surprised anything could be close to 20mm longer than the 1914. But I can see where the retracting nib could have contributed to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I came to this post having been asked to make a case for a Heritage 1914 I am always looking for interesting projects and having seen the Montblanc cigar case I came up with this. I hope no one objects to me sharing here.

28970895015_077f80bcd6_z.jpgDSC_0847[1] by my0771, on Flickr

I have made a few changes there is a kydex (hard plastic liner to the pen tubes which has been wrapped in red suede. I have also added two mounting points for a thong and toggle closing system to add a little extra security for the lid.

This is where my 149s live

15901270158_88a9693f00_z.jpgTripple pen case by my0771, on Flickr

The individual tube are hidden inside.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

• 2 weeks later...

When making pen cases it is often difficult to know what the challenges are going to be getting the joint even turned out to be the biggest challenge. In the end I decided to cover the join with a strip of the same 2 mm thick leather which I thinned to 1 mm before stitching it in place.

28982694040_b81ea09430_z.jpgDSC_0875[1] by my0771, on Flickr

I am not completely happy with the piece I have added it is in two pieces and I may swap it for a single piece.

Thanks to those who have expressed interest

Michael

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

~ Reading through the Heritage 1914 thread from sampanel's superb original images to my63's fine custom cases has enlivened an otherwise quiet late Sunday evening.

The various Heritage 1914 images posted by Sampanel, Axis, kaikeong and mjchuang9 brought the very special pen models to life on the computer screen.

Their comments and the subsequent posts from gerigo and Pravda underscored what a one-of-a-kind fountain pen it is.

This thread is why FPN is such a valuable resource. Through considering perspectives from members around the globe, it's possible to appreciate aspects of a pen which one hasn't seen or handled.

Many thanks to those who've written about the Heritage 1914 and those who posted images.

I'm glad that writing with it is such a fine experience, with Axis's BB nib on the coral edition a standout.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

• 2 weeks later...

When making pen cases it is often difficult to know what the challenges are going to be getting the joint even turned out to be the biggest challenge. In the end I decided to cover the join with a strip of the same 2 mm thick leather which I thinned to 1 mm before stitching it in place.

28982694040_b81ea09430_z.jpgDSC_0875[1] by my0771, on Flickr

I am not completely happy with the piece I have added it is in two pieces and I may swap it for a single piece.

Thanks to those who have expressed interest

Michael

I just wanted to say what a wonderful job you did constructing this and I think it came out beautifully. I find it funny how Montblanc makes a cigar case that's better at holding their pens than their own pen cases are at doing the job. And your replication of their cigar case into a pen case is an even better improvement! :)

Edited by Mister Mont Blanc

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!