The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Show Off Your Writing With A Binder Stub Or Ci ?

binder stub italic

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 benincanada

benincanada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2014 - 23:25

I am looking to get a Binder stub or cursive italic for a Pelikan or a VP I have.  I am debating the size.  If you have a Binder 0.6mm stub, a 0.8mm stub, one of the cursive italics, or even a crisp italic (which I don't think I will get as I want a smoother writing experience) and have a writing sample you want to show off, I'd be very grateful!

Sponsored Content

#2 Koyote

Koyote

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:01

You do realize that Binder's website has writing samples of all of his grinds?

#3 benincanada

benincanada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:03

You do realize that Binder's website has writing samples of all of his grinds?

Yes but the sizes aren't standardized.  Looking to see some "in the wild" and read people's experience too

#4 georgeb

georgeb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:28

One factor to consider is how big or small you want to write and still be able to clearly form the letters.  

#5 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:45

image.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#6 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 2,136 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:45

I won't be entering any penmanship contests but these two photos should be helpful.  The pen is a Pelikan M215 with a Binder .5mm cursive italic.  The ink is Aurora Blue.  The A4 Moleskine Folio has 6mm ruling, which is quite narrow but, as you can see, the writing comfortably fits between the lines.  The Rhodia N° 18 ruling is a luxurious 7mm.

fpn_1408850889__fountain_pens_073_jpeg.j

fpn_1408850927__fountain_pens_077_jpeg.j

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

round-postcard-exc.png

#7 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 14:16

One area where I think Richard Particularly excels is his ability to grind a CI with Maximum line variation that Also still has Maximum smoothness.

Some people will tell you that you have to sacrifice some smoothness to get Nice line variation. That may be the textbook answer but not so much in real life. The Imperial above is testimony to that.

I only half joke in saying that writing with it is like juggling straight razors. You can Still Feel that the sharpness is there but it just never, ever, never ever catches an edge. You Aren't Supposed to Be Able to grind a nib like that. However, when asked to, I'm convinced Richard gets a little extra glint in his eyes knowing that He Can do just That.

I myself generally prefer Mike Masuyama's rounded CI that is more Stublike but still with good line variation. But, if I wanted the Maximum line variation with also the Maximum amount of smoothness, IMO, Richard is The Man for that.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#8 dneal

dneal

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 17:26

Here's a .6mm stub.

Binder6mmStub001_zps69c621f1.jpg

Binder6mmStub002_zps6e6cb7b2.jpg

#9 Gaslight

Gaslight

faintly glowing...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 20:02

Taken from another thread...

14617419802_1bd8b5fc6a_c.jpg

What a strange world we live in, where people communicate by text more than ever before, yet the art of proper handwriting is seen as a thing from the past.

letter.png

#10 benincanada

benincanada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:22

Thanks for the pictures everyone - those Binder grinds look great.  I think the 0.6mm is the size for me

#11 benincanada

benincanada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:22

One area where I think Richard Particularly excels is his ability to grind a CI with Maximum line variation that Also still has Maximum smoothness.

Some people will tell you that you have to sacrifice some smoothness to get Nice line variation. That may be the textbook answer but not so much in real life. The Imperial above is testimony to that.

I only half joke in saying that writing with it is like juggling straight razors. You can Still Feel that the sharpness is there but it just never, ever, never ever catches an edge. You Aren't Supposed to Be Able to grind a nib like that. However, when asked to, I'm convinced Richard gets a little extra glint in his eyes knowing that He Can do just That.

I myself generally prefer Mike Masuyama's rounded CI that is more Stublike but still with good line variation. But, if I wanted the Maximum line variation with also the Maximum amount of smoothness, IMO, Richard is The Man for that.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thank you Bruce!

#12 georgeb

georgeb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 21:29

Are you going to get a Crisp Italic, a Cursive Italic, or a stub?

#13 benincanada

benincanada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2014 - 22:18

I think a stub, but I'm considering a Cursive Italic based on what Bruce said about Binder being able to get smoothness from them

#14 johntdavis

johntdavis

Left-Handed and Loving It

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Location:Texas, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Sector 001, Milky Way Galaxy
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:41

Glad to hear you're going for it. I love mine, even though I just got it and haven't had a lot of time to play with it and am still adjusting to the nib and angle to get the best line variation. The 18k gold nib on the Pilot VP is really springy, and I just realized tonight that the tines are actually spreading a bit with what I thought was normal writing pressure--e.g., what I usually consider none. I think I actually tend to press down a bit on this nib because I'm not used to it yet and I'm holding it too tight or ... something.

At any rate, when I deliberately tried to use zero pressure I got a very smooth nib and ​excellent line variation. I'm still not sure I'm holding the pen at the correct angle, but I'm really pleased with the results. (I'm using a right-oblique cursive italic to compensate for the angle I hold my hand at when I write--a normal CI should show the same variation.)
So allow me to inflict my terrible handwriting on you Here's a photo.

Bv2S9J6CQAAokl8.jpg

Edited by johntdavis, 25 August 2014 - 01:51.

#15 ISW_Kaputnik

ISW_Kaputnik

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2014 - 22:42

Maybe a little presumptuous of me, but what the heck.  I have two Binder left oblique cursive italics, a 0.9 mm Pelikan, and a .7 mm Vanishing Point.  I don't want to ink the Pelikan right now, although I can write fairly smoothly and quickly with it.  The VP is smooth enough if I go slowly, but is a little harder to maintain a good angle with (for me).  Still, here goes.

LOCI3_zps276f804b.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do." - Benjamin Franklin

#16 benincanada

benincanada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:41

Thanks !

#17 Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

Go Blue!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:08

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bruce, that pen is absolutely beautiful.  Clearly one of maybe two or three pens which should be considered iconic of our obsession!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

#18 Coop

Coop

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2014 - 18:12

Egh... Thanks guys, now I'm even more bummed that my 0.6 stub VP is being held hostage by customs. Unfortunately, they haven't send out a demand for ransom yet...

... Never underestimate the power of human stupidity ...

Keep track of the progress in my quest for a less terrible handwriting here: http://www.fountainp...t/#entry2917072

#19 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2014 - 19:09

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Nib%2Bcomparison004.jpg

#20 benincanada

benincanada

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2014 - 22:00

I just bought a 0.6mm stub, and an Extra Fine, both Pelikan M200 nibs, off of Richard's site.  Writing samples to follow next week upon receipt.  Thanks everyone for your input!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binder, stub, italic

Sponsored Content

|