What Red Flags Keep Anyone From Bidding? Sort Of Tempted Myself. . .

jaqcp

Been following this auction for 3 days and am a bit surprised nobody has even nibbled or shown intent. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111442027991?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• vistafan

• jaqcp

• chas0039

I think it is due to the fact the seller has not used their own pictures and they are a new seller, with limited feedback. I would never bid on an item without there being photographs, which have evidently been taken by the seller.

I am new to selling on eBay and recently sold a pen; I made sure there were five photographs and included macro shots. Personally, I believe that the better the photographs are, the more likely you are to sell your item and avoid dissatisfied buyers.

Edited by vistafan

Possibly, in addition to the flags mentioned above, buyers don't really want all three of these pens. I know I don't.

Edited by chas0039

Well, for me, I'm: (a) on a budget; (B) not particularly interested in a 600; © not especially interested in sets.

Now if it had been a 400, and the striated blue (instead of green).... :lol: Naah, not really. I just dropped over $150 on spinning supplies and fibers yesterday (I honestly *do* have other hobbies besides pens...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

(I honestly *do* have other hobbies besides pens...).

Good to hear. Confusing, but good to hear. LOL!

[color=#444444][size=2][left]In this age of text, twitter, skype and email, receiving a good old-fashioned hand-written letter feels just like a warm hug.[/left][/size][/color][img]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/img]

I guess because the buy now price is 300. If it was a set it should be more it's the M600 + its a 3 pens.

People selling Pilot pens or Platinum on the bay always seems to get more success for some reason.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

I just dropped over $150 on spinning supplies and fibers yesterday (I honestly *do* have other hobbies besides pens...).

In my house, the competition between fiber arts and pen collecting isn’t so easily resolved. My wife, a weaver-spinner wants a HansenCrafts miniSpinner and I’m hoping to buy a Nakaya Kuro-tamenuri. Historically, she always wins!

@ jaqcp -- :lol: Actually I've been doing fiber stuff long before I got into FPs (probably close to 30 years at this point).

@ Beethoven -- I haven't seen the miniSpinners before. They look cute. But way too pricy. That's more than twice what I paid for my Kromski Mazurka (although the price did go up since I originally got mine, and they no longer seem to be offered on the New Voyager website). What I got yesterday was some cotton lint and cotton punis (prepared tubes of carded cotton fiber) and a bunch of tahkli spindles. I'm trying to put together a class on cotton spinning and supported spinning for a thing I'm going to later in the fall, but I still need to get spinning bowls, or possibly make inexpensive ones out of something like FIMO.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm trying to put together a class on cotton spinning and supported spinning for a thing I'm going to later in the fall, but I still need to get spinning bowls, or possibly make inexpensive ones out of something like FIMO.

Hmm ... you aren't a weaver by any chance?

-- Constance

I've done a bit in the past (mostly on a 4 harness table loom, when I took some classes), but not for a long time (i.e., not since moving back to Pittsburgh from the Boston area in 1997).

good to hear ppl spinning yarn since gandhi. nice way to selfreliance.

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

I think it is due to the fact the seller has not used their own pictures and they are a new seller, with limited feedback. I would never bid on an item without there being photographs, which have evidently been taken by the seller. Personally, I believe that the better the photographs are, the more likely you are to sell your item and avoid dissatisfied buyers.

So many Fleabayers just stupidly refuse to recognize the inherent weakness of on line shopping, and thusly will pay the price of not doing so.

NO online shopping experience can match the face to face to product experience of that in a brick and mortar store. That of being able to communicate with the seller face to face in real time and hold the wares in your hands and closely examine them from All angles. You Can come Close on line, but to do so requires some substantial effort with ones listing description and as you say, even More importantly, your pics.

A good many Fleabayers are just completely ignorant of How to do a good listing or just too lazy to, or both. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

So many Fleabayers just stupidly refuse to recognize the inherent weakness of on line shopping, and thusly will pay the price of not doing so.

NO online shopping experience can match the face to face to product experience of that in a brick and mortar store. That of being able to communicate with the seller face to face in real time and hold the wares in your hands and closely examine them from All angles. You Can come Close on line, but to do so requires some substantial effort with ones listing description and as you say, even More importantly, your pics.

A good many Fleabayers are just completely ignorant of How to do a good listing or just too lazy to, or both. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

So very true, Bruce. You don't have to be an expert to take good pictures or to make an effort with your listing. It does surprise me that some sellers manage to sell their items, considering how poor some listings can be. Having said that, there are some very hasty buyers who bid without doing their research and are often the ones, who suffer the consequences.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a counterfeit new Sonnet from ebay. 200+ feedback, price not too low, nothing to tip me off. It turned out to be a very good copy with none of the major issues posted on the numerous web sites. Then.... no box, no papers, still looked really good, even under 10x. Then I noticed, 18k. This was supposed to be gold plated. I finally got out a real Sonnet and that showed what I was missing. The real test was when the 18k nib stuck to a magnet. In the forgers had stuck to plated, I might have missed the whole thing. A seller who supposedly worked at Parker for 21 years just doesn't through a $100 nib on a $50 pen by mistake.