Which Fountain Pen Should I Get?

Bunny_Police

I have been slowly building up a modern and vintage fountain pen collection for the past couple of years, and I've reached the point where I would like to add something really 'special' to my collection.

I own a number of MBs including the 144, 145 and 149, and am considering buying one of their limited edition pens.

Having set aside $2500 to spend on a pen, I'm struggling to decide what to get...

So far, I've come across 2 pens which I like, the MB 2012 limited edition - Joseph II fountain pen, and a vintage waterman 58...

What would you recommend?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bunny_Police

• Pravda

• meiers

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of the Elizabeth...

The Catherine the great edition is very similar, and I do like it. I would choose the 888 edition ahead of the Joseph II fountain pen, however it is far too expensive, and the 4810 edition has a lot taken away from it by removing the rubies on the top...

All my POA series are 888 except the Catherine just because it was one of the few editions where I thought there hardly was a noticeable difference between the 4810 and the 888. I held them both side to side, as you said, it was just the rubies.

You have to admit, that's one heck of a lovely star on the top :)

Edited by Pravda

I wish I had your problem.

Did you visit the website of fountain pen hospital?

Lots of wonderful limited edition pens there.

Last month I saw the Agatha Christie writer's edition there for $1700.

Do you like the 145 size pen? If so you may want to consider the 90 years Classique solitaire special edition.

Please let us know what you decide.

I might suggest the Julius II 4810.

I must say... I envy your situation. :P

I do really like the Julius II 4810 fountain pen too, and remember looking at it before. After having done a little more research into it it seems to be slightly more expensive than the other limited edition that I am looking at though.

Nonetheless, I have enquired about the prices for both limited editions, and will probably choose the one that is slightly cheaper.

Hopefully I'll have made a decision by the end of the month and will let you know what I decide :)

In all sincerity, I think the new Dumas is gorgeous. Also, if you like Rose Gold, you might want to look at the 90 Year they just put out. It's a simple design but it stands out... plus it's "cheap" :-O

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

If I had that amount in discretionary spending, I would invest in a vintage model, one that's stood the test of time. If you aren't restricting yourself to MB but you are still focusing on German pens with an MB "tie in", you might consider a modern Aurora. I've not had the opportunity to write with one, but they are lovely items.